What is your 'cover' in vtm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your 'cover' in vtm?

I enjoy reading other ideas about how they blend into mortal society, that is if they even bother with night to night mortal endeavors. What are some of your 'masks' as it were?

My kindred runs a cleaning business, farming out the actual cleaning work to other cleaning companies in the city and cleaning up kindred 'messes'. Accidental messy feeding that left you with a rapidly cooling problem? Give us a call. We specialize in making the material problems immaterial.
    Last edited by Dart93; 03-07-2020, 10:05 AM.

Strip club owners are always popular, especially when the snacks pay you.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
      Strip club owners are always popular, especially when the snacks pay you.
      I like the strip club idea. Plenty of potential problems to deal with.

One friend has a malkavian psychologist that feeds on his patients

Comment

EDITED: Sorry, missed the topic of the thread.
        Last edited by Gurkhal; 03-07-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

There are two types of people that make money. People that produce things and people that own things. Vampires are rarely the former.

Just say you own a company, stocks, you're an inventor with a patent. You might want to say you're a co-owner rather than an owner, but the average person isn't going to look into that. You could own a company in secret, give your current identity a fancy title within that company and a salary (I'm an executive consultant!) and tell everyone all about it if it bothers you.

I think you're getting a bit weird with the cleaner business. Just own a cleaning business. A criminal cleaner business is hardly a cover for anything!

For ease of reference: "VTM" means every edition that isn't V5, because V5... it's a very different product, and I don't want to write "Pre-V5" because that's lame and I'm lazy.

Comment

Vampires can easily be producers rather than owners given their extensive life spans. Quite literally every year some craftsman passes away and the world loses all the techniques that they knew and used in their craft, vampires can become walking repositories for knowledge. But anything esoteric that can be sold online is potential option. Chances are you will find more vampires on Etsy or Ebay than down at a goth club.

Alternatively the vampire can have a legitimate business, but caters almost exclusively to other kindred. For instance a vampire could specialize in antique restoration and given how many storage garages worth of stuff most elders have laying around, a lot of it will need upkeep eventually. Actually I personally like using any form of antique dealer as a cover just because it gives you so many social explanations, like why despite your obvious age you know so much about history, or why you have so much old stuff laying about the house, etc.

Comment

My main character presents himself as the heir of a family that made its money in radiators back in the Roaring Twenties and has diversified into banking, industrial equipment manufacture, and the hotel industry. Being an eccentric multi-millionaire he can get away with things like only taking evening meetings and letting pet tigers have the run of his house (ghouls without Animalism need not apply). One frustration upon relocating to London was finding out that a flagship affiliated property rents out its ground floor to a spaghetti restaurant, making it an unsuitable location for a haven until their lease expires.

Comment

In 1995, I realized that there were two types of vampires in the game: vampires with mortal identities, and what I like to call, for lack of a better term, "Professional Vampires." The Professional Vampire doesn't have a day job: he or she is either independently wealthy or just takes whatever he or she needs. At most they have a paper identity, something that will allow them to own things (if they don't do it through retainers).

As I've almost exclusively played "Behind the GM Screen" for the last 36 years, I don't have a lot of Player Characters to talk about. But NPCs? Oh, we've got those. We've got those aplenty. Here's a sample, if you're just looking for ideas.

* The (Semi-Anarch) Prince who moonlights as a researcher at a Museum of Natural History.
                * The hitman.
                * The seemingly homeless guy who isn't.
                * A University Professor
                * The Guy Who Gives Harbor Tours on his boat
                * The drug dealer
                * Gang members, club owners, gallery owners, and party girls aplenty.
                * The studio talent scout
                * The part-time librarian
                * The Priest
                * The cult-goddess and self-help guru
                * The girl who works the theatre box office
                * A V.A. Psychologist
                * The Arms Dealer
                * The Reclusive Movie Producer
                * The Theatre Owner
                * The major corporate shareholder
                * The professional singer
                * The In-Home Masseuse
                * A hooker/call girl or three (both sexes)
                * The Graffiti Artist
                * The P.I.
                * The Book Dealer
                * The overnight nanny
                * The Transactional Attorney
                * The Professional Mediator
                * The Part-Time Server at a Four Star Restaurant
                * The stock trader (world markets)
                * The Community Center Supervisor
                * The Garage Owner
                * The Bartender
                * The Motorcycle Salesman
                * Several varieties of actual criminal (other than the drug and arms dealers and the Gang members)

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                  Vampires can easily be producers rather than owners given their extensive life spans. Quite literally every year some craftsman passes away and the world loses all the techniques that they knew and used in their craft, vampires can become walking repositories for knowledge. But anything esoteric that can be sold online is potential option. Chances are you will find more vampires on Etsy or Ebay than down at a goth club.

Alternatively the vampire can have a legitimate business, but caters almost exclusively to other kindred.
                  I'm now imagining a vampire cobbler, who has honed the craft of shoemaking over centuries. Other Kindred come to him to get hand-crafted shoes, because they're nostalgic and he's the only one who knows how to make shoes the way they like it. (Read: in a method that went extinct among mortals hundreds of years ago). Sure, plenty of old Kindred will settle for expensive designer shoes or, in a pinch, a cheap pair off the rack. But if given the option, they'd want a bespoke pair (or several of them) in styles made perfect in the Regency era or something.

This also applies to non-vampiric characters who are long-lived, such as Mages. Sure, he may be an undead abomination, but he appreciates the craft in a way no one born this century can. At least in the opinion of the buyer.

Regardless of the client's nature, such a vampire could become financially secure just from providing such a humble service to the right clients.

For instance a vampire could specialize in antique restoration and given how many storage garages worth of stuff most elders have laying around, a lot of it will need upkeep eventually. Actually I personally like using any form of antique dealer as a cover just because it gives you so many social explanations, like why despite your obvious age you know so much about history, or why you have so much old stuff laying about the house, etc.
                  We know this works well, because that was how Hesha did it in the Setite clan novel. At least until he got too entangled with a mortal, and ended up spoiling his reputation in antique circles.

Comment

My Toreador owned a bunch of restaurants and nightclubs. My Tremere was a teen when she was Embraced, so she really didn’t “do” anything except hang out with her friends and study the occult and occasionally attend night classes at the University of Chicago.

Also, my friend plays a Ventrue and his grandsire was one of the Southern Lords from BJD. Before the Civil War, his grandsire owned a tobacco plantation in North Carolina where he grew tobacco infused with blood that other Kindred could smoke to gain Blood Points. It was like a really rare luxury item. I’m pretty sure this violates RAW (you need to breathe in order to smoke), but I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

Rain On Me... Lady Gaga (I went to the same academic summer camp she did) and Ariana Grande. This song actually works really well with the World of Darkness.

Comment

Oh, I forgot. I also ran a Ventrue in ancient Rome. She was heavily involved in the politics of the Republic, but since she was a girl she couldn't hold any official political office.

Rain On Me... Lady Gaga (I went to the same academic summer camp she did) and Ariana Grande. This song actually works really well with the World of Darkness.

Comment

Working...
                      X