V5 - Beckoning theories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5 - Beckoning theories

Before anything else, yes, I know the whole point of the Beckoning is to be a spooky unknown mystical effect that conveniently removes a lot of Elders from the setting so that younger blooded PCs can have the spotlight. But just because it's a plot device doesn't mean it has to be entirely a handwave, and I've love to hear thoughts on what the effect might be? My first thought is that it feels a lot like the Summon ability from Presence on a greater scale, perhaps used by (one of?) the Antediluvians. Or perhaps it's a migratory instinct to head back to the region where the Garden of Eden supposedly was and return to the seat of vampirism, like salmon returning to their spawning grounds?

The Sabbat rocked up and ate their way up to Methuselah level, which gave them the power to summon those descended from the ancients they ate. Now they're specifically calling all of the Elders they want to kill precisely so they can do that, and once they've run out of snacks they'll start working on the Ancillae and then the Neonates.

The Sabbat are no longer fighting to stop Gehenna. They are Gehenna.

Comment

I generally like the idea that Gehenna started with the Week of Nightmares and it is still happening. Just because it is the end of the world doesn't mean it happens all at once. It happens in its own time.

Comment

I thought the Beckoning was canonically supposed to be the Antediluvians calling their childer to defend them from the Sabbat who are currently trying to locate them and kill them?

I hope it ends at some point and the Sabbat goes under new management. I like elder politics and I think a bunch of surviving elders flooding back to their old domains and having to try and wrest them back from those who have taken them over is a neat possible plot development.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenHerla View Post
          I thought the Beckoning was canonically supposed to be the Antediluvians calling their childer to defend them from the Sabbat who are currently trying to locate them and kill them?

I hope it ends at some point and the Sabbat goes under new management. I like elder politics and I think a bunch of surviving elders flooding back to their old domains and having to try and wrest them back from those who have taken them over is a neat possible plot development.

It makes sense because Menele also felt the beckoning and went east, and he is 4th gen. So it should be something so powerful that even 4th gens can't resist it.

Comment

Originally posted by Godforsaken View Post

It makes sense because Menele also felt the beckoning and went east, and he is 4th gen. So it should be something so powerful that even 4th gens can't resist it.
            Helena was Beckoned but managed to break the call by diablerizing some Ashirra. This act weakened her and the call slowly faded but she discovered that diablerie temporarily staves off the call.

Comment

Ancient vampires have problems sustaining themselves on just any blood. Human blood doesn't do it for them anymore, so vampire blood...the older the better...is their sustenance of choice.

In my games, the Antedilluvians and Methusalahs are calling elders because they are busy fighting and need a good snack.

Comment

I’m working on a game where it’s Caine beckoning. The week of nightmares was the early stages. At a pace of around 4 years per generation, that explains why 8th gen is feeling that call now. When the few 4th and 5th gen were called, no one noticed because they are so behind the scenes. 6th was when it was starting to be noticed, but the Ivory Tower could hide it. 7th gens calling drew attention and now terror has set in that 8th is being called too. The 9th and 10th are scrambling to find out if it is preventable.

I’m thinking about making it tied to Caine trying to regain his mortality so he can repent and be accepted to heaven possibly. Would have to be an alternate timeline type game, because I don’t see how it works past that.

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
                  I generally like the idea that Gehenna started with the Week of Nightmares and it is still happening. Just because it is the end of the world doesn't mean it happens all at once. It happens in its own time.
                  I like this, Im going to steal it

Comment

Originally posted by Raunalyn View Post
                    Ancient vampires have problems sustaining themselves on just any blood. Human blood doesn't do it for them anymore, so vampire blood...the older the better...is their sustenance of choice.

In my games, the Antedilluvians and Methusalahs are calling elders because they are busy fighting and need a good snack.
                    I like this too; Im going to steal it

Comment

Originally posted by IllithidActivity View Post
                      Before anything else, yes, I know the whole point of the Beckoning is to be a spooky unknown mystical effect that conveniently removes a lot of Elders from the setting so that younger blooded PCs can have the spotlight. But just because it's a plot device doesn't mean it has to be entirely a handwave, and I've love to hear thoughts on what the effect might be? My first thought is that it feels a lot like the Summon ability from Presence on a greater scale, perhaps used by (one of?) the Antediluvians. Or perhaps it's a migratory instinct to head back to the region where the Garden of Eden supposedly was and return to the seat of vampirism, like salmon returning to their spawning grounds?
                      It's pretty obvious what it is: 10,000 vampires are hungry. The Jhyhad is just a game. The Antediluvians are inhuman monsters who lost any trace of humanity thousands of years ago. They feel no love, compassion, empathy, or loyalty to their line. Their progeny are just food for the latest cycle of awakening from torpor.

Vampires are tbe ultimate expression of selfishness. They refuse to accept the natural order of life and death. Yes, they were made immortal, but they can choose to truly die, if they wish. But most don't, even when 10,000 years of existence proves meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Kael03 View Post

Helena was Beckoned but managed to break the call by diablerizing some Ashirra. This act weakened her and the call slowly faded but she discovered that diablerie temporarily staves off the call.
                        Which makes no logical sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Raunalyn View Post

Originally posted by Illuminostro View Post

It's pretty obvious what it is: 10,000 vampires are hungry. The Jhyhad is just a game. The Antediluvians are inhuman monsters who lost any trace of humanity thousands of years ago. They feel no love, compassion, empathy, or loyalty to their line. Their progeny are just food for the latest cycle of awakening from torpor.

Vampires are tbe ultimate expression of selfishness. They refuse to accept the natural order of life and death. Yes, they were made immortal, but they can choose to truly die, if they wish. But most don't, even when 10,000 years of existence proves meaningless.
                          Yes, I think that's a fairly obvious direction to go with it. The question I was asking more than that though, if that's the direction you want to go with it, is "by what means are the Antediluvians calling out to their descendants?" Is it just something that they all can do, make descendants aware of their desire? What's the thing that's actually forcing Elders to fly out east?

Comment

Originally posted by IllithidActivity View Post

Yes, I think that's a fairly obvious direction to go with it. The question I was asking more than that though, if that's the direction you want to go with it, is "by what means are the Antediluvians calling out to their descendants?" Is it just something that they all can do, make descendants aware of their desire? What's the thing that's actually forcing Elders to fly out east?
                            That's a pretty good question. I suppose that one possibility is that many of these ancients have high level Presence. One possibility I particularly like is that these ancients are calling their descendants through the blood.

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
                              I share these sentiments as well.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                              X