No announcement yet.

Material on Scandinavia in VtM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lived for two years in Jamtland quite a while ago and I think it made for a very interesting setting though most of my time was spent in smaller towns like Are, Duved and Saxvallen so much more Gangrel and Garou territory than other critters.

Most of my work was with dog sleds, reindeer sleds and general upkeep of outdoor areas, other than Stockholm for a short visit the largest towns I saw there were Ostersund and Sundsvall.

Comment

I believe there was a reference once that the Kindred in the area treated their Ghouls unusually well and gave them larger responsibilities than normal. This was because the midnight sun could send a Kindred in torpor for months and they could not be sure of the blood bond lasting, and the ghoul would have to handle his masters affairs. I don't remember where I read that though.

In canon, the area is, as mentioned Sabbat and Gangrel. The All-High never struck me as a joiner of any kind. There is also a Setite line, which revers Jormundgand. In the north, the Gangrel Noiad bloodline will wander. There was also a bloodline of Nosferatu that dwelt in water back around 1st ed or thereabouts. The local legends of Trolls fit the Nosferatu quite well: Huge, hideously deformed, massively strong, the smell of human blood makes them hunger, and sunlight kills them. Turns them to stone, and they were assciated with magic and illusion, so not a perfect match. Maybe some Gargoyles fled there. There was also Vestgeir, the exceptionally powerful Ravnos methuselah with the very Scandinavian name.

The problems with the north is that the distances here are vast, the herds very thin and the sun can be in the sky for months. On the other hand, you can have months with no sun in winter. You still get a brief few minuted of light though, but when the light reflects of the snow, those minutes can be brighter than when the sun is in the sky in summer. The murder rate is exceptionally low and some years go without any killings. Historically, subsisting on sailors and fishermen would be possible, many of the older churchyards in the north of Norway has almost no male names, because the men all died at sea. Although there would not be much sailing done after dark.

The question is what kind of kindred would lair here? Something very old and in torpor, or something that could deal with the midnight sun. Or long periods without feeding. Maybe something in Golconda. You could have some tourism for the long winter nights, but people vanishing would be very visible, so I cannot imagine the local kindred tolerating that.

The bureaucracy is large for a reason: Its mostly small municipalities where a lot of people are related, and you need very firm rules to avoid corruption and nepotism.

Most places would be one-kindred towns, and barely that. On the other hand, they might get along a bit better than normal kindred, with big distances between them and unusual problems in common.

If you have Lupines at all, this is lupine-dominated territory. It would also have been a way to get close to the Shadow Curtain while that was up.

Comment

It's the World of Darkness, which I'm sure resembles the real world Scandinavia, but also has differences to reflect the existence of things like Cainites (I'm not talking about the sun or daylight hours).
        Last edited by Archasimos; 03-09-2020, 02:12 PM.

I’m a writer. A storyteller. They’re my passions. They’re what I do. The stories I tell, they are my mythologies. Like the Norse tales of Odin, Thor, and Loki, or the Celtic fables of Lugh or Cú Chulainn, I want them to be the kind that people retell. They are the legacies I wish to leave behind.

Comment

If you're doing Dark Ages, particularly during the period of Viking raids, the PCs can spend the Summer months out raiding further South and skip the long days. Depending on exactly when it's set, they could go through Finland into Russia down the Dnieper or Volga Rivers slave raiding, if they're into that or fighting Tzimisce. Of course everyone's more familiar with the raids into the British Isles and France, but they got all over the place.

Comment

Thanks guys! Lots of excellent stuff coming in.

I'll try to go through the material and decide how to take on Scandinavia by Night. I've not decided on DA, Victorian or Final Nights. But probably not Final Nights as I don't want to be outmanouvered too easily by my cunning players. :P

EDITED: Probably going with Victorian setting as that allows me to include stuff from both DA and Final Nights and its something I am myself interested in.
            Last edited by Gurkhal; 03-09-2020, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Though daylight hours was not part of the original post, I will just point this out.
              Although the days get shorter during the summer even Stockholm has about five and a half hours of sundown on the brightest day of the year.
              Sure, there will be twilight for those hours so not very dark but it is still sundown.

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
              Thanks guys! Lots of excellent stuff coming in.

I'll try to go through the material and decide how to take on Scandinavia by Night. I've not decided on DA, Victorian or Final Nights. But probably not Final Nights as I don't want to be outmanouvered too easily by my cunning players. :P

EDITED: Probably going with Victorian setting as that allows me to include stuff from both DA and Final Nights and its something I am myself interested in.
              Victorian Sweden sounds like a good setting for Vampire, set it after 1872 and you can even call it Oskarianska eran.

Comment

Originally posted by Heliodromus View Post
                Though daylight hours was not part of the original post, I will just point this out.
                Although the days get shorter during the summer even Stockholm has about five and a half hours of sundown on the brightest day of the year.
                Sure, there will be twilight for those hours so not very dark but it is still sundown.

Victorian Sweden sounds like a good setting for Vampire, set it after 1872 and you can even call it Oskarianska eran.
                Thanks.

EDITED
                Last edited by Gurkhal; 03-09-2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...t?term=Denmark

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...gar-and-Jotuns

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...s-of-the-Clans

All three are in the Shadows of Scandinavia bundle, presently on sale. They're very well-written and comprehensive

Comment

Originally posted by JezMiller View Post
                    https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...t?term=Denmark

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...gar-and-Jotuns

https://www.storytellersvault.com/pr...s-of-the-Clans

All three are in the Shadows of Scandinavia bundle, presently on sale. They're very well-written and comprehensive
                    Yep, Jacobs stuff is great.

Comment

A vampire posing as Odin used to reign there over a society of Viking vampires called Einherjar. The Get of Fenris battled with him.
                      https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/The_All-High
                      Supposedly he’s still in torpor somewhere in Scandinavia.

Comment

There is a bit about Scandinavia in Vampire Victorian Age Companion.It talks about how vampires deal with the summers and their relationship with ghouls who even have a representative in the primogen.
                        In some ways it is like the Noiad who are also more dependent on mortals.Otherwise I think social clans like Ventrue or Toreador maybe Nosferatu would have an easier time in modern Sweden.

Comment

Yknow I just had a thought. Grendel from Beowulf is supposed to be the son of Cain right? What if Grendel was a low-Generation vampire?

Comment

Originally posted by Trollroot View Post
                            On the other hand, you can have months with no sun in winter.
                            This! Don't let the long days during summer scare you. During winter the days are very short, you get like 5-6 hours of daylight so the darkness feels never ending. And if you ask Swedes they will tell you that the dark winter feels much longer then the short summer months.
                            So if you run your game in autumn/winter your characters will have a lot of night time to go crazy.

If I recall correctly I think there was a thread here earlier on where the forum collected all viking vampires ever mentioned. Think it was valismedsen who created it. So that might help if you want npc's to chose from.

Comment

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...erjar-vampires

Comment

A lot will depend on exactly how you interpret "night" and "day". They are not as simple a concept as the rules present. You'll need to decide precisely when your "sunrise" and "sunset" are. The more liberal your interpretation, the less unusual vampire life in Scandinavia will be.

If you interpret "night" to begin with civil twilight, then there are nearly six hours in which vampires can operate on 21 June, the shortest night. This is a tight schedule, yes, and leads to a highly seasonal existence. Elysia and other gatherings will mostly be in the winter, but basic existence should be possible without too many disruptions.

If, otoh, you interpret "night" to begin with the end of astronomical twilight, expect the vast majority of vampires to be inactive from mid-April to mid-August. Provisions will need to be made for a short period of torpor. A few vampires (eg: Thinbloods, high Humanity vamps, those with various supernatural advantages which allow daytime activity while shielded from the sun) may come to dominate vampiric society.

Here is a tool you may find helpful: timeanddate.com.

Comment

Working...
                                X