Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple method to see Clan Compulsion more often in your game

Hallo everybody,

Some weeks ago, The Gentleman Gamer Matthew Dawkins talked at Utility Muffin Labs about Clan compulsions in V5. He was complaining that they don’t show up very often in the game, which is a shame, since they are often more interesting than the Clan Bane.
    I can see where he is coming from and I like to offer my solution which, I think, might be the easiest way to deal with it.

Instead of changing the rules I would suggest to just utilize the “win at a cost” rule. Especially at tasks, the antediluvian in question is known for being good at, he or she might “send his or her help” to win an otherwise failed roll, but at the cost of the clan compulsion being triggered.

All you need to do as a ST is to offer your players this option (and maybe keep your difficulties high enough, that opportunities for nearly failing occure often enough).

What do you think?

I'm not sure players ignoring compulsions is a problem that needs to be fixed. The most popular fix seems to be ignoring the rule. This process is common in ttrpgs. D&D players en masse ignored keeping careful inventory of spell components, so D&D 5e gave us spell component pouches and divine foci.

That said, if you like compulsions, and want your players to be... is the word "compulsed"?... more often, this is an elegant solution. It allows player choice over whether they want to roleplay out the compulsion or lose the role. Player agency is always a good thing.

Well done.

Comment

The world is compelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
        I'm not sure players ignoring compulsions is a problem that needs to be fixed. The most popular fix seems to be ignoring the rule. This process is common in ttrpgs. D&D players en masse ignored keeping careful inventory of spell components, so D&D 5e gave us spell component pouches and divine foci.

That said, if you like compulsions, and want your players to be... is the word "compulsed"?... more often, this is an elegant solution. It allows player choice over whether they want to roleplay out the compulsion or lose the role. Player agency is always a good thing.

Well done.
        it is not about players ignoring them. It’s kind of the opposite. The sing is, that Clan Compulsions at the same time defining for the clan (often much more than the bane) but also show up very little with the rules as written. Players often remember the compulsion and even role play them even if they don’t have to, but, as the gentleman gemerzten pointed out, compulsions take a lot of word count in the book for a mechanic that really only shows up ever so often if you roll bad an specific roles and even than only a compulsion is triggered and not necessarily the clan compulsion.

He said, if he could change one thing about the V5 rules, it would be this. His approach was to make failed rouse checks trigger the compulsion. My idea is just a way to solve this issue with zero change of the system by using just the tools the ST already has.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethos View Post
          Hallo everybody,

Some weeks ago, The Gentleman Gamer Matthew Dawkins talked at Utility Muffin Labs about Clan compulsions in V5. He was complaining that they don’t show up very often in the game, which is a shame, since they are often more interesting than the Clan Bane.
          I can see where he is coming from and I like to offer my solution which, I think, might be the easiest way to deal with it.

Instead of changing the rules I would suggest to just utilize the “win at a cost” rule. Especially at tasks, the antediluvian in question is known for being good at, he or she might “send his or her help” to win an otherwise failed roll, but at the cost of the clan compulsion being triggered.

All you need to do as a ST is to offer your players this option (and maybe keep your difficulties high enough, that opportunities for nearly failing occure often enough).

What do you think?

He talked in another interview elsewhere and stated that, if he had to do the core book over again, he'd offer the option to take a Clan Compulsion in place of a Bestial Failure. Which is a pretty good compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerg View Post

He talked in another interview elsewhere and stated that, if he had to do the core book over again, he'd offer the option to take a Clan Compulsion in place of a Bestial Failure. Which is a pretty good compromise.
            Can you tell where he said that? Because it is a bit of a weird statement, since that is how Compulsions work right now:

(V5 Corebook P. 208): “Compulsions occur on a bestial failure as the Hunger subtly urges a vampire into actions dictated by their Blood, sometimes even instilling traits hailing from their clan’s founder.”

The only different would be, that you would not offer alternatives Compulsions beside the Clan Compulsion or other options, which might not fit every situation a bestial failure occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethos View Post

Can you tell where he said that? Because it is a bit of a weird statement, since that is how Compulsions work right now:

(V5 Corebook P. 208): “Compulsions occur on a bestial failure as the Hunger subtly urges a vampire into actions dictated by their Blood, sometimes even instilling traits hailing from their clan’s founder.”

The only different would be, that you would not offer alternatives Compulsions beside the Clan Compulsion or other options, which might not fit every situation a bestial failure occurs.

And that's what I get for making posts long after I should've went to bed.

He said offer the option of a Clan Compulsion on a Messy Critical. I'll see if I can find the interview again, it was linked on the WoD5 facebook at one point.

Comment

Working...
              X