The Phobos (Fanmade hunting method)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phobos (Fanmade hunting method)

After some suggestions of a player who wanted use Presence to intimidate his preys, instead seduction, I wrote this text:

PHOBOS:
    The bitter and acid taste of the fear is all this kindred is looking for. He uses the supernatural more or less blatantly to terrorize his victims. Sometimes, the mere threat of violence and monstrosity is enough, sometimes, he uses Presence or Dominate. The Phobos needs the superiority, the feeling of power and being the predator alpha. Actually, he is a sadistic and a psychopath and he believes that the blood is wasted if the victim does not suffer.

-1 Humanity
    +1 Presence or Dominate
    +1 Intimidation
    +Repulsive (Flaw)
    +Prey exclusion (fear in the blood).

ORIGINAL TEXT: (El sabor ácido y amargo del miedo es todo lo que desea saborear éste vástago. Utiliza lo sobrenatural de un modo más o menos evidente para aterrorizar a sus víctimas, a veces, la mera amenaza de violencia es suficiente, otras veces utiliza disciplinas como Presencia o Dominación. El Phobos necesita sentirse superior, poderoso, un depredador. Realmente, es un sádico y un psicópata y cree que la sangre se desperdicia se no se vierte haciéndole a su víctima sufrir.)

Mechanically it's kind of dissimilar from other predator types - instead of providing a dot in a skill it should offer a choice between two skill specialties, and offer some background/merit dots instead.

More than that though...what does feeding as a Phobos actually look like? How does making prey frightened aid in the hunting process? Siren making prey feel happy and aroused draws them in and lowers their guard, fear not as much.

Comment

I would guess that the method would be used when the prey was alone and probably being pursued. Frightened prey would be more likely to panic and make mistakes during the pursuit and impede attempts at fighting back, or make them less likely to resist because they are paralyzed with fright.

Comment

Yes, that was the idea, hunting by intimidation, use the fear to feed of the weak and easy preys. Presence is useful for the Terrifying Gaze and Dominate to subdue the victim. It is a method of psychological violence, in opposing of the more rude violence of the Alley Cat. I am not sure about all the methods don´t providing any skills, I think that some of them give some dots in Skills (Sandman). But if this is a problem, +1 to Intimidation could change to a specialty on Intimidation or Brawl.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
          I would guess that the method would be used when the prey was alone and probably being pursued. Frightened prey would be more likely to panic and make mistakes during the pursuit and impede attempts at fighting back, or make them less likely to resist because they are paralyzed with fright.
          Narratively that's the same as the Alleycat predator type: going after isolated humans to pounce on. This describes the manner in which you do it, but it's not thematically distinct enough to warrant its own predator type. Other predator types describe HOW the vampire is approaching the hunt, this one just describes the attitude the vampire has towards it.

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
          Yes, that was the idea, hunting by intimidation, use the fear to feed of the weak and easy preys. Presence is useful for the Terrifying Gaze and Dominate to subdue the victim. It is a method of psychological violence, in opposing of the more rude violence of the Alley Cat. I am not sure about all the methods don´t providing any skills, I think that some of them give some dots in Skills (Sandman). But if this is a problem, +1 to Intimidation could change to a specialty on Intimidation or Brawl.
          There are several predator types that deal with potential psychological violence: Cleaver, Osiris, Scene Queen, and Siren all come to mind. The common element of all of those (even Siren, which may be shorter-term) is that they involve getting close to the victim and establishing a connection before abusing that connection. How does this Phobos employ a psychological violence based on fear that distinguishes itself from a short-term attack like a scary Alleycat? The closest thing I can think of is the Extortionist from the Cults of the Blood Gods manuscript.

Also Sandman does not give dots to a Skill. It, like every single other established predator type, gives options of skill specialties.

Comment

I do not have access to the manuscript, so its is possible that the Extortionist could be similar by pure coincidence. The difference between the Alleycat and the Phobos is that Fear is the motivation of the last one. Fear and sadistic behavior as an end itself, the superiority is not only a method, but a necessity. That is the reason behind the prey exclusion. About the points in skills, of course I can be wrong. Furthermore, it could be an error in the translation of the rulebook to the spanish (it would not be the first). Anyway, is not important, and could be easily changeable to specialties in the skills.

Comment

Mechanically, the predator types in the core follow a pretty consistent formula for advantages and flaws: X dots of advantages, X-1 dots of flaws. Sometimes humanity gain or loss can substitute for these.

In this case, though, you get three dots of flaws and lose a dot of humanity, and get no advantages in return.

Comment

Working...
              X