No announcement yet.

[V5] The Sabbat in V5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V1/2's minimalist style of Diablerie is really the way to go. V20:TBH and V5 get far too detailed, and if folks are gaining permanent dots? RIP party balance. There's no faster way to ruin a game than to encourage players chow down their way to omnipotence.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
    There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Banu_Saulot View Post
      Addiction isn't supposed to give mechanical bonus, or is it? It should be totally crap to have that, and if the player doesn't want to RP that, or thinks he should be bonusfied by his addiction, then it is talk with Narrator time. But most games do (and I think they should) give only debuffs for any form of addiction. Of course, it might sound like "winners don't do diablerie" but the character should feel compelled, not the player. If one does something the other doesn't want to, and it does not bring joy, the game should be adapted to such wants. I don't think it should officially be treated as such though. To be a bad tradeoff seems like a statement.
      The big problem in-character is the combo of addiction with insta-loss of Humanity.

Diablerie gives you a benefit and a drug trip. That is desirable from a character standpoint. But it also gives you addiction, that is undesirable by itself, but not necessarily by much. Addicts use their thing (not always drugs) because at some point the benefits outweighed any harm, the addiction only came after that, and even then the benefits frequently outweigh the harm. They still don't want the harm, though, and will try to avoid it if possible.

If Diablerie where something that had a chance to cause Humanity loss, then vampires would engage for the benefits and try to stave off Humanity loss, to gather whatever tool they could to rise their chances and even work on raising Humanity from time to time to have a better prognostic while indulging in it. And addicts would exist and slowly lose Humanity, but would also be trying and sometimes succeeding in staving off the loss.

But as is today, for most Kindred it is "7 doses and game over". Everyone knows what Wassail is, even if not by name, except the most freshly minted neonate. It is a definitive game over, even the most monstrous elders still do their best to avoid that last drop. They do fear one thing more than Final Death: the death of the self. If Diablerie gives this so thoroughly, then addiction means that anyone doing it is bound to go into Wassail too quickly, and Degeneration shows, so this wouldn't just be a risk, it would be common knowledge. The risk isn't just there anymore, it is gigantic.

Would you try it if you knew there is no chance of not loosing a big chunk of ground to the Beast at once, and on top of that you risk being on Wassail by the end of the year or sooner?

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
      #AutismPride
      She/her pronouns

Comment

• Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
        The big problem in-character is the combo of addiction with insta-loss of Humanity.

But as is today, for most Kindred it is "7 doses and game over".
        or 4. Remember diablerie can make you lose 2 points of humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by blailton View Post

or 4. Remember diablerie can make you lose 2 points of humanity.
          Yes but not necessarily either. That's like the ultimate "Dark Quickening" soul absorbtion.

My inclination regarding diablerie is that it should be able to provide you a boost in experience as well as generation but it shouldn't be something that's very powerful. It gives a decent sized boost enough that it can maybe put you closer to the Elders but it's not worth the immense toll on your soul and sanity that absorbing the soul of another vampire should be. It's definitely something that doing puts you on the Path to becoming a cannibalistic monster but maybe is something that could be done once or twice in your life without turning you purely evil-evil.

I do think that diablerie should be one of the chief causes of wassail, though. That final little sliver of humanity being undone by vampires eating other vampires feels like it would be one of the chief causes actually as there's very few acts that are SO profane and vile that it puts you over the top, IMHO.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• It would be the chief cause of Wassail just by causing addiction, without need for such harsh Humanity loss. Many addicts reach a point where they do anything for their trip. If Diablerie is highly addictive, then some vampires will reach the point where they do anything to get their fix, from mass murder to vampire farms where they grow and Embrace humans for snacks.

But the catch is that for that to occur it needs to be just safe enough, so people actually feel tempted by the idea.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
            #AutismPride
            She/her pronouns

Comment

• Table of Content in the new Sabbat book is going like this:

Introduction 6
              How to use this Book 7
              Storyteller Style 7
              Theme and Mood 7
              Build Your Own Medieval Death Cult 8

Chapter One: Setting Fire 11
              The Righteous Supremacy of the Blood 11
              Beyond Mortal 12
              Power and Liability 12
              A Church Militant 13
              Shattered Domains 13
              Endless Conflict 14
              Forging Loyalty 14
              Legacy of Brutality 15
              Feeding the Beast 15

Chapter Two: Apostates of a Cruel Church 19
              Paths of Enlightenment 19
              The Path of Caine 20
              Ethics 20
              In Chronicles 21
              Disciplines 21
              The Path of Cathari 22
              ""
              The Path of Death and Soul 24
              ""
              The Path of Power and the Inner Voice 26
              ""
              The Path of the Sun 28
              ""
              Forsaken Paths 31
              Path of the Beast 31
              Path of Honorable Accord 31
              Path of Lilith 31
              The Killing Time: Antagonists 32
              Constructing Conflict 32
              Portraying the Paths 33
              Path of Caine 33
              Path of Cathari 35
              Path of Death and Soul 37
              Path of Power and the Inner Voice 40
              Flotsam and Jetsam 42
              The Gifts of Caine: Disciplines 46
              Auspex 46
              Animalism 47
              Dominate 47
              Obfuscate 48
              Protean 49
              Oblivion 49
              Blood Sorcery 49
              Ceremonies 52
              Thin-Blood Alchemy 53
              Ritae: Keys to the Dominion of Caine 55
              The Role of Ritual 55
              Auctoritas Ritae 56
              Creation Ritess 57
              Ignoblis Ritae 64

Chapter Three: Burn Brightly 71
              Anatomy of a Death Cult 71
              Image Is Everything 72
              Strange Bedfellows 72
              Antitribu 74
              Overwriting the Individual 75
              Cultivating Conformity 75
              Catechism: Sabbat Objectives 77
              Ideological Enmity 77
              Path Realities 79
              Adopting a Path 79
              Changing Paths 79
              Leaving Paths 79
              Sabbat Titles 80
              Pack Patterns 85

Chapter Four: The Gehenna War 91
              A Brief and Dirty History of the Sabbat 91
              Blood and Fire 91
              Anarchs Revolts 92
              From the Ashes of the Revolt 93
              Enlightenment in Blood 93
              The Beginning of the End of the World 94
              SITREP: The Gehenna War 95
              An Empire of Blood 95
              Mexico City 97
              Brazil: Civil War 98
              Russia and the Baltics 100
              The Maghreb and Alamut 102
              The Domain Next Door 103

Chapter Five: Storyteller Resources 105
              Setting Element: Sabbat Domains 105
              Surge 106
              Accord 107
              Entente 107
              Crusade 108
              Story Elements: Chronicles Structures 109
              Blood and Fire 109
              Hearts and Minds 110
              Stoking Revolution 111
              Infiltration and Espionage 112
              Story Elements: Narrative Structures 115
              Rising Action 115
              Open Conflict 116
              Temptation 117
              The Enemy of My Enemy 118
              Story Element: Conflict Triangles 120
              Rival Sects 120
              Playing With Fire: The Second Inquisition 120
              Thematic Element: Inhumanities 121
              Thematic Element: The Pack Hunts as One 122
              Setting Element: Sabbat Havens 122
              Communal Havens 123
              Storytelling Technique: Paranoia and Red Herrings 124
              Thematic Element: the Antediluvians 125
              Enemy Unknown 125
              Stolen Blood 126

Index 127

So, what you people think?

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Comment

• Looks good, but I will still wait on the reviews.

Comment

• I’m honestly really happy they decided to bring back the adoption of a Path of Enlightenment. I know some people like the 2nd Edition way of starting there, no strings attached (Willpower buying and all). I personally really liked the journey to reaching that point through play, as recommended in the Revised Edition. Overall, I’m really excited (which is making the delays even more frustrating). I’m looking forward to seeing what the Path of the Sun is about.

Comment

• Beast, Honorable Accord and Lilith appear only once, connected with 'Forsaken Paths' ..if Honorable Accord really has been ditched that means weird things for sect structure, if Beast is gone..that is a big loss for RP, and if Lilith is gone, that means the actually interesting and inhuman side of that faith is gone...
                    Last edited by Taggie; 09-18-2021, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Forsaking Honourable accord? You mean THE path? The OG, Best-Boi, How-vampires-should-actually-behave Path?

looks like the Sabbat shall be a caricature of it's former self.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taggie View Post
                        Beast, Honorable Accord and Lilith appear only once, connected with 'Forsaken Paths' ..if Honorable Accord really has been ditched that means weird things for sect structure, if Beast is gone..that is a big loss for RP, and if Lilith is gone, that means the actually interesting and inhuman side of that faith is gone...
                        I think that’s mostly down to personal opinion. I think the path of Lilith being eradicated from the Sect was inevitable and it really never belonged there in the first place. It was a highly heretical Path of Enlightenment that the Inquisition would be sure to burn away (as they aren’t just hunters of the infernal, as they are also charged with maintaining the Sabbat orthodoxy). I think one of the mistakes of the Revised Edition was to have an obviously heretical Path be anything but a hunted minority on the brink of being eradicated. Ditto when 2nd Edition had Infernalists even in the highest positions of the Sabbat (I’m looking at you New Mexico).

Path of Honorable Accord and the Beast are definitely a loss, but I’d have to see why they’re gone. Either way, I don’t see why people would stop playing them. I think that it’s probably due to the fact that the Path of the Beast encourages its followers to eschew “civilization” and politics, which is in conflict with the loyalty and orthodoxy demanded by the Ultra-Conservatives and the Status Quo factions of the Sabbat.

Path of Honorable Accord doesn’t make as much sense, since aside from low Humanity shock troops, they’re the bulk of the loyal, no questions asked followers of the Sabbat hierarchy. Their Path DEMANDS that they obey those above them in rank and the Code of Milan. I don’t think they’ll be able to justify that one. I’m definitely not retiring my Salubri antitribu, the most ferocious Abbot ever seen.

Comment

• I think people forget that the Sabbat has political and military obligations that every member is expected to meet, aside from the esoteric and philosophical pursuits that also define the Sect. You have the right to do what you want, as long as you have the power to do so. I’ll say it again: you have the right to do what you want, as long as you HAVE the POWER to do so. That’s why the Loyalists are a playable faction. They’re the Anarchs of the Sabbat that don’t want some hierarchy to tell them what to do and what conditions to meet.

Comment

• Oh yes, the Bahari absolutely don't fit with the Sabbat at all. It's more an Anarch/Autuark/Secret Camarilla path (The Cam also hunts down Gehenna cults, and given the anti-establishment nature of Lilith worship most jurisdictions will happily blur the lines and include Bahari in that category. Even with the nuCam allowing religion, it's easy to imagine Bahari still facing persecution)

Comment

• I am willing to bet real money that the Path of Honorable Accord isn't going anywhere.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
                                Forsaking Honourable accord? You mean THE path? The OG, Best-Boi, How-vampires-should-actually-behave Path?

looks like the Sabbat shall be a caricature of it's former self.
                                Honorable Accord gets in the way of the Sabbat being a “death cult” (they made sure to highlight that twice in the table of contents), because that’s what the V5 developers have decided the Sabbat needs to be.

Never mind that they’re utterly abusing the language because the Sabbat is absolutely not a death (i.e. mortuary) cult devoted to their ancestors. Rather, it’s a militant ideology masquerading as a cult that excuses murder and other atrocities as necessary steps to achieve their ends. Maybe call it a Murder Cult if you must... but I’m tired of people abusing the language because some idiot misapplied the term to Islamic terrorists (who are also a militant ideologues hiding under the guise of religion) because they wanted to imply they worshipped death itself and someone else thought the term sounded cool without ever bothering to do a basic dictionary search to see if it actually meant that.

Or to summarize by quoting the Princess Bride... “You keep using that word. I don’t think you know what it means.”

Comment

Working...
                                X