Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think the canon NPCs are up to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
    Possibly, but care to delve on your reasons for saying so?
    too over the top, typical 2nd ed sabbat with infernalists everywhere, mindlessly violent sabbat, and the weird crossovers

True. Anyway, i would really appreciate if someone took the time to adress/hang a lampshade on these little issues of Melinda's background - when did she become regent, did she fake being Lasombra for some undefined period of time or was there a precursor with the same first name leading to the confusion, etc - and give her some actual backstory that is not other more powerful kindred doing things to her (being shangaied to the Americas, then dumped on Mexico city by Helena, brainwashed into going Path of Evil Revelations by Shaitan/Huitzilopochtli from torpor, etc) while at it.
    the Shaitan thing was never explained,
    she was abandoned by helena after helena discovered shaitan and ran away,
    she joined the sabbat to break the bond

later she became a crusader and was instrumental in the sabbat's success in the east coast

during the sabbat civil war, she and her followers, with the help of the black hand, worked to put an end to the hostilities,
    by the end of the civil war, she gathered enough support to become regent around 1910, she ruled for most of the 20th century and put in motion a revised
    version of gorchist's code of milan that allowed the black hand more freedom from the sabbat

PS: I don't remember where I read any of this, so take it with a grain of salt...also, she's a boring regent

Encyclopaedia Vampirica (2002) mentions she's a toreador antitribu that claimed to be lasombra...God knows how

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
      The Shaitan thing was never explained,
      I don't see why swearing yourself to a being like Shaitan is particularly hard to fathom. If you're a vampire, you're going to encounter beings who give you a choice of immense riches and power or death.

Most vampires choose the former.

Is Shaitan worse than Ur-Shulgi? Both demand worship and the forsaking of other gods.

too over the top, typical 2nd ed sabbat with infernalists everywhere, mindlessly violent sabbat, and the weird crossovers
      I admit, I respect Infernalist Sabbat far more than the alternative. They own their damnation and get something out of it.

What do you call a Sabbat not on the Path of Evil Revelations?

"Delusional."

Admittedly, my view of the Sabbat is skewed.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I don't see why swearing yourself to a being like Shaitan is particularly hard to fathom. If you're a vampire, you're going to encounter beings who give you a choice of immense riches and power or death.

Most vampires choose the former.

Is Shaitan worse than Ur-Shulgi? Both demand worship and the forsaking of other gods.
        the melinda infernalism was only portrayed as a tragedy,
        she broke out of her slaver only to end up enslaved to another one

but it doesn't explain how or why she ended up with Shaitan,
        it doesn't explain how or why shaitan is using her,
        and it's hard to draw a conclusion yourself, since melinda's regency doesn't differ from the last,
        if anything, melinda's regency was a bad deal for shaitan since she allowed the black hand to work unchecked

Admittedly, my view of the Sabbat is skewed.
        no, your view of infernalists* is skewed

in 2e, the infernalists were the "dellusional", thinking they'd get power yet never got...and most of their masters dealt in souls, meaning they were doubly screwed

revised fixed that by making sabbat pathetically weak,
        so even if you got screwed by your infernal master, you still got a relatively good deal

-

Comment

too over the top, typical 2nd ed sabbat with infernalists everywhere, mindlessly violent sabbat, and the weird crossovers.
          True, but far from unique in that though yeah, horrible, horrible as a sourcebook, though i do toy with the idea of re-reading it - the kindred related parts at least - and trying a rewrite of sorts for my games.

the Shaitan thing was never explained,
          she was abandoned by helena after helena discovered shaitan and ran away,
          she joined the sabbat to break the bond
          What in itself beggars the question of what Shaitan had to offer to Melinda after having her blood bond broken, but anyways....

The Shaitan thing, from what little i remember, is because he slowly brainwashed her through Dominate from torpor, among other things making her believe she was his childe & lover - a very, very bad idea considering her whole relation with Helena, without even going into the Helena's "my sleeper brain mines trump other kindred domination!" power, might be said.

Must admit i'm not very familiar with her background after Chaos Factor beyond "generic/bland as hell really, woman was doing paint by dots rulership" overall and it looks like you agree with me on that.

But anyway, moving to other canon NPCs....

Bjorn Garinson heard the rumours about Brynhild & the Waelkyrige and his wyrd was certain from that moment on.
          Time to go back home.
          Last edited by Baaldam; 07-31-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I agree about the Mexico by Night regency candidates being more interesting than the BJD ones. The campaign I'd played my elder Tzimisce character in was over by the time of its publication, but I decided he'd favor Charles VI across clan lines over Szechenyi Jolán due to the former's alignment with the Ultra-Conservative faction and the Sabbat Inquisition, and the latter's Leftist leanings and freakish obsession with corrupting disfigured children (with Venere Carboni standing for nothing but himself, and thus being beneath contempt).

Comment

Menele is out of torpor and getting caught up on world events by channel surfing. It's not going well.

"By the Muses! Maury's divinations have determined that Omar *is not* the father!"

Comment

Working...
              X