[V20] Retainer Dots and Ghoul Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V20] Retainer Dots and Ghoul Creation

So my ST has decided that she wants to transfer over to using V20 once our current V5 game/story is over.
    We (PCs) would likely have to rebuild our characters from scratch using the V20 system.

I'm checking up on some character related rules for V20, so that I can be prepared for the change.

My character has a ghoul, one that has followed him for centuries.
    In V5, my ST have my character put more advantage points into retainer, to make for a more power ghoul. (He uses a more powerful human stats array)
    *Powerful/Stronger here and below, means having a ghoul that has more skills, stats, merit, advantage etc then a normal ghoul. Not necessarily stronger physically.

In V20, I understand that each dot in retainer gives 1 extra ghoul, but you can also ask your ST to allow you to make stronger ghouls by investing more dots into a single ghoul.
    Also in V20, ghouls have actual rules for character creation. With some additional rules for older ghouls, like able to hold more BP.

Given that more dots in a Retainer allows you to making a stronger ghoul, how does this work in V20?
    Does such a ghoul get more xp at the start? Get better starting stats?

How does more dots in Retainer correspond to have a stronger ghoul in V20.
    Last edited by Wingstorm; 05-03-2020, 11:49 AM. Reason: Fixed some typos

The official answer is "Talk to your Storyteller."

My house rule though, based on the old familiar rules for Mage, is that they get 10 extra freebie points per dot you spend on them.

For comparison, buying up the two attribute dots, five skill dots and one discipline dot that separates a starting vampire from a starting ghoul costs 30 freebie points.* Thus, a ghoul about as tough as a starting vampire would take four dots in retainers (one for the base ghoul, three more for +30 freebie points).

* For simplicity, I consider the "can move around in the day and extra freebies vs. more fragile, limited discipline access (normally limited rank one and costs 10 freebie/20 XP to acquire) and low blood pool (2 points in V20) to be a wash.

ETA: I don't bother with assigning a freebie point value to a larger blood pool for ghouls because, per the rules, it only increases by one point every 200 years as a ghoul. Few starting PCs are even going to be 200 years old themselves, much less have a ghoul that's 220+ years old.
    Last edited by Chris24601; 05-03-2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Yes, you can put more points into a more powerful retainer in V20 at storyteller's discretion. How many dots? over 3 would be excessive for anyone but an elder. If you've put a lot into it (as v5 bacgrounds are mostly weaker) I'd just reallocate.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Well, the ghoul in question is around 800~900 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris24601 View Post
          The official answer is "Talk to your Storyteller."

My house rule though, based on the old familiar rules for Mage, is that they get 10 extra freebie points per dot you spend on them.

For comparison, buying up the two attribute dots, five skill dots and one discipline dot that separates a starting vampire from a starting ghoul costs 30 freebie points.* Thus, a ghoul about as tough as a starting vampire would take four dots in retainers (one for the base ghoul, three more for +30 freebie points).

* For simplicity, I consider the "can move around in the day and extra freebies vs. more fragile, limited discipline access (normally limited rank one and costs 10 freebie/20 XP to acquire) and low blood pool (2 points in V20) to be a wash.

ETA: I don't bother with assigning a freebie point value to a larger blood pool for ghouls because, per the rules, it only increases by one point every 200 years as a ghoul. Few starting PCs are even going to be 200 years old themselves, much less have a ghoul that's 220+ years old.
          Thanks for this suggestion. I showed it to my ST and she plans to use it.

Comment

Working...
          X