WIR Pre-made Vampire Character Templates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Justycar View Post
    I really like the Libellus Sanguinis castes that later were introduced in Revised. And I like even more the evolution of the clan, from one dimensional hassassins to complex followers of the code, they have become the judges, the guardians of the law and the bane of the infernalists.
    Both the Libellus Sanguinis and revised clan book versions of the Assamites and Ravnos are leaps and bounds above their predecessors. Not least of which because if you actually liked the old versions, their still there, just now a minority within a much more diverse and well thought out group.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

• Originally posted by Konigheim Horror View Post
      Anyone else ever feel like the Tzimisce's Clan disciplines aren't quite fitting? At least not with how the Clan was written up, including its templates? The Bratovich or Szantosa combinations made more sense to me personally.
      Essentially they are rural "witches", with creepy psychic powers and command over the beasts of the earth (and to a certain degree other people's souls), plus accursed flesh-warping powers. I tend to view them as eldritch beings who put themselves apart from the lesser creatures that are humanity.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

• Clanbook: Ravnos (part two)

Finally, after an annoying delay.

The Dakini (False Prophet)
        So, curiously, this is one of the first instances of the clan being tied to India. This book presents it as being a tiny subset called the Vritra, but I still find it interesting in light of later developments. Anyway, this character is from the slums of Bombay (or Mumbai as it's called now) and had a knack for making herself useful as a beggar and runner, eventually working her way into the city's underworld. It's kind of implied that she probably spent some time as a prostitute, but thankfully doesn't focus or dwell on it, as she clearly managed to quickly become a victimizer rather than victim. Eventually she drew the attention of a vampire and was embraced. This helped get her foot into the world of high society, and the easy prey of gullible tourists. Then she decided that going to where the tourists came from might make for an even better hunting ground, so she relocated to North America (though you could just as easily make it the UK or Australia). Now she poses as an exotic Indian guru, offering made-up "ancient wisdom" in exchange for money and other gifts. Socials are primary, with Manipulation and Appearance at four. Dexterity is also at four, though I'm not entirely sure why. It feels like Mental might be more fitting as secondary. Streetwise and Subterfuge are both at three dots. Acting, Dodge, Animal Ken, Etiquette, Stealth, Linguistics, and Occult are all at two dots. Then there are a few single dots. Interestingly, none of them are in combat abilities, and if feels like its been a while since I've seen that. Disciplines include Animalism at two dots and Chimerstry at one. I kind of feel that one dot might've been better in Fortitude, but Special Sauce gotta Special Sauce, I guess. Backgrounds include Herd and Resources at five dots each, and once again it feels like it's been a while since I've seen anyone go all out on any backgrounds, let alone two of them. Retainers are three and Influence at two. Humanity is eight and Willpower is seven. I'm kind of surprised at how much I like this character. It feels like what the clan should be in a lot of ways. It totally avoids the The Rom stereotypes while foreshadowing the future rakshasa ideas. And her Cryme Tyme of Choice, "deception", feels like something that's not going to stand out among the Kindred and risk turning into the Ravnos equivalent of a FishMalk.

The FX Artist (Lovable Goob)
        A life long geek obsessed with sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and especially the special FX techniques used to make genre movies. He was embraced by a Ravnos he saved from an anarch gang while working on a film set in LA. And that's pretty much it for back story (most of the word count is eaten up with shout outs to famous film names). He's almost entirely fixated on developing his grasp of Chimerstry and what he can create with it. His Cryme Tyme is "trickery", as he enjoys fooling people, both with illusions and bluffs, which is sort of interesting, but really more than a little vague, and does have the down side of playing too heavily into FishRav territory. Mental is primary, with Intelligence and Wits at four each. Physicals are secondary, with Dexterity and Stamina at three. Charisma also gets a boost to three with some freebie points. Computer is at three dots, along with the secondary abilities of Disguise and Photography. Investigation, Occult, Repair and Security are are two each. He's also got a bunch of one dot abilities, including Acting, Firearms, and Science. Given his background and interests, you'd think Science might be a little higher. Also, his equipment lists explosives, but he seems to lack any ability relating to them. Disciplines are three dots in Chimerstry and, for reasons I can't fathom, a dot in Animalism. I could see a token showing in Fortitude, seeing as how LA is probably a rough place to live as a vampire, but nothing about him says Animalism. Backgrounds are two dots in Contacts, and one each in Generation, Mentor, and Resources. Humanity is seven and Willpower is six. I have mixed feelings about this character. One the one hand, I like that it has nothing to do with the The Rom or crime. And as a long time fan of old school practical FX work, I enjoy seeing it get a shout out. But I can't really escape the fact that this is a concept based entirely around the clan's Special Sauce power, which is a trope I've never been a fan of. If this had been a Toreador, I'd have loved the hell out of it. And the idea of having a compulsion for "trickery" sets off a few alarm bells. Still, as overall characters go, I think this is a fairly good one, though it could benefit from a little ability tweaking, I think.

That's all for this one. Hopefully I can have the next part up before the end of the week.
        Last edited by No One of Consequence; 07-29-2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Essentially they are rural "witches", with creepy psychic powers and command over the beasts of the earth (and to a certain degree other people's souls), plus accursed flesh-warping powers. I tend to view them as eldritch beings who put themselves apart from the lesser creatures that are humanity.
          I thought about that too, and what came to mind was "Auspex for telepathy and all that, Animalism as masters of base creatures... what's missing here is something like Dominate to make them true masters of their domains."

And then I realised that's the Old Clan.

Comment

• Also, something I never got about the Nosferatu. Both original and the revised Clanbook did it. The whole idea of Cleopatras, of taking beautiful people and turning them ugly out of spite. That's so often brought up, yet nowhere ever is one of the most natural results, I feel, properly explored: That trapping people in their own personal hells for eternity will make them resent you. Badly.

The Nosferatu should have a massive problem with childer killing their sires in revenge. How come there isn't a template for that? That makes for a PERFECT player character.
            Last edited by Konigheim Horror; 07-31-2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

The Nosferatu should have a massive problem with childer killing their sires in revenge. How come there isn't a template for that? That makes for a PERFECT player character.
              I don't have my copy of the book handy to check, but I recall that being the concept behind one of the vampire hunters in the original Hunters Hunted. A Nosferatu "caitiff" who was a wealthy industrialist embraced out of spite, now living as a total recluse and using his fortune to fund vampire hunters to go out and destroy all other kindred.

Comment

Also, something I never got about the Nosferatu. Both original and the revised Clanbook did it. The whole idea of Cleopatras, of taking beautiful people and turning them ugly out of spite. That's so often brought up, yet nowhere ever is one of the most natural results, I feel, properly explored: That trapping people in their own personal hells for eternity will make them resent you. Badly.

Well that is a likely result.

However, once that happens, who else are you going to hang out with?

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Clanbook: Ravnos (part three)

After a too long delay from work and feeling under the weather, which I apologize for.

The Seer (Ingenue)
                  Oh boy, this character is one of the The Rom! ::sigh:: Buckle up, folks, this is going to be a bad one. So, to start with, her character quote is part of a tarot card reading. Because that's not at all stereotypical. She was born to the Phuri Dae "family of power" - one of the many terrible bits from World of Darkness: Gypsies ("phuri dae" more or less means "grandmother", btw) - and possessed The Second Sight. So one night while her clan was traveling through Hungary, they were attacked by "night walkers" - Sabbat Gangrel - who were driven off by Ravnos vampires. As one of - maybe the sole, it's unclear - survivor, she was embraced. BTW, all of this heavily peppered with Roma jargon, all from a "helpful" lexicon section at the start of the book and repeating various stuff from WoD: Gypsies. She lost her Second Sight, but spontaneously developed Auspex instead. Exactly what she is currently doing as a vampire isn't really touched on at all. Mostly being a The Rom fortune teller, I guess. And best of all, as one of the The Rom, she doesn't have a Cryme Tyme of Choice. Instead, she simply ignores the rules of mulo vampire society, including the Traditions, because they don't apply to Ravnos. Yes, this "The Rom Ravnos don't have a crime of choice because normal society rules don't apply to The Rom" bit is one of the most scream-inducing bits of Dumb in a book that has more than its fair share of it. Anyway, Mental is primary, with Perception maxed out to five dots and Intelligence at three. Social is secondary with Charisma and Appearance at three. Empathy is at four dots, and Alertness, Linguistics and Occult are all at three each. Animal Kin and Investigation are both at two. Then there are a couple of single dot abilities. This includes one dot each in a trio of Lores: Gypsy, Kindred, and Lupine. This feels like a little bit of a waste. I've mentioned previously my feelings that if one is going to get a secondary ability, you may as well go whole hog and shoot for at least three dots in it. With Gypsy Lore, we get the bizarre occurrence of a character having to spend points to know about the culture she grew up in. Disciplines are Animalism at two dots, Chimerstry at one dot (because apparently it's a rule that everyone has to have it), and one dot in Aspex. I'm really not sure why the focus on Animalism. There's not really much in the back story to explain it. If anything, given the violent and brutal nature of her embrace, I'd have expected her to have Fortitude, and probably more than one dot of it. Backgrounds are two dots in Allies, and one each in Generation, Mentor, and Resources. Humanity is a whopping nine, and Willpower is seven. I'm mildly surprised she isn't on the Path of Paradox. The artwork thankfully avoids any sort of stereotypical Roma imagery. If anything, it looks vaguely Eastern European with a 90s club goer look. So, this isn't a great character. But it's not unsalvageable. If you excised all of the ridiculous material based on WoD: Gypsies and the face-palmingly bad "The Rom don't have a crime of choice" idea, I think you have the start of a decent idea. A young Roma woman who had minor psychic abilities whose family was murdered by vampires only to be saved by another vampire. And now she's forced to exist not only as a creature that is inherently unclean, but also the same sort of creature that killed her family. Which I think would have been fairly interesting. Especially if her "criminal" compulsion was to violate ethnic cultural taboos or to commit harm to other vampires (including herself).

The Smuggler (Criminal)
                  Hmm. "Criminal" ... yes, I can see a lot of thought went into that concept. So, someone who grew up along the wharves of Amsterdam - which feels oddly specific - and quickly learned the ins and outs of the smuggling racket. And became very good at it, developing an international wealth of contacts. And so one night a Ravnos showed up on her boat and offered to embrace her and bring her into the "real underworld". (I somehow suspect that this was less of an invitation and more of an offer you can't refuse.) And now she smuggles things for other vampires. And that's about it. We don't even get a Cryme Tyme, I guess because it's just the same smuggling she does all the time. Socials are primary, with a 3/4/3 split, and Mental secondary with 3/2/3. Alertness, Streetwise, Subterfuge, Drive, and Finance are all three dots. Firearms, Stealth, and Linguistics are two each. And then a couple of single dot ones. Noticeably absent is Bureaucracy, which would seem to be a necessary skill for someone who moves cargo around the world, something that usually requires a lot of paperwork. Disciplines are one dot in each, because there's just not a lot going on here. Though I can see how each might have its uses in this line of work. This is a background heavy character, with five dots in Contacts, four in Resources, two each in Influence and Retainers, and one each in Generation and Status. Humanity is six and Willpower is nine. The art is ... interesting. She's somehow giving off both Eurasian and "Eurotrash" vibes at the same time. She's also wearing a fishnet top that fully exposes both nipples, which are highly detailed. I think this is the first time we've had prominent partial nudity in a Clanbook, with even the Setite book avoiding it. Ironically, while the Tzimisce and Giovanni books were both released in sealed plastic bags marked "adults only" - one for that terrible image on the back cover and the other mainly for excessive strong language, casual racism and mention of incest - this one was not. I'm slightly curious how that happened. Overall, this character isn't terrible. But there's just not much there either. It's just sort of a vague and generic criminal based entirely around a specific crime. It feels more like an NPC rather than something you'd really want to play.

That's part three. Tomorrow will be the final template and final thoughts. Then we'll be closing things out with Giovanni.

Comment

• Clanbook: Ravnos (part four)

And the final part.

The Subway Conman (Bad Seed)
                    So, a guy who grew up on the streets of New York, quickly mastering the ins and outs of various scams and confidence games, becoming a highly skilled professional at it as an adult. And then one night a vampire embraced him and now he continues to be a master con artist of the night. His Cryme Tyme is confidence games. I'm feeling a sense of deja vu here, perhaps because this is exactly the same thing as the previous Smuggler character, just with a different crime. It's like a formula: Grow up in rough neighborhood, become really good at the local crime, get embraced, become vampire criminal. At least he's not one of the The Rom, I guess. Mental is primary, with Wits maxed out to five dots and Perception at three. Socials are secondary, with Manipulation at four dots, and Dexterity is bumped up to three with some freebies. For abilities, Subterfuge is four dots, and Acting and Streetwise are three each. Drive and Stealth are at two. Then there's a scattering of single dots. Disciplines are, again, one dot of each. And again, I'm not really sure why he needs Animalism. You'd think a second dot in either of the other two powers would be more useful. Backgrounds are Generation at four dots, Resources at two, and Contacts at one. (I'm sort of surprised at the lack of an Ally or Retainer who could act as a partner/shill during certain cons.) Humanity and Willpower are both at eight. The art is fairly decent, what looks like your completely average nondescript city dweller from the 90s. This isn't a bad character by any means, but there's not a whole lot here either. It's very formulaic, especially coming right after another character built on the exact same formula. But as a basic cookie cutter "grab and go" premade character, it gets the job done.

And that's kind of this whole group in a nutshell. Four of the seven are entirely based around a specific crime - serial killer, car thief, smuggler, conman - and that forms everything about them. And even the Dakini suffers from this to a degree. This is, I think, one of the problems the Ravnos had back then, and one they often share with the Malkavians. Some people will tend to look at their weakness/curse and build everything around it. The Carjacker, for example, starts from the idea that his crime of choice is stealing cars and just bases everything from that. But what if, instead, his criminal compulsion was to destroy the cars he steals instead of selling them? What if the Smuggler's compulsion was to betray her clients? What if the Con Artist kept feeling a compulsion to use violence instead of his wits? I think this would make for more interesting characters and roleplaying, but that's just my personal opinion. Out of all of these, the Dakini is probably my favorite, largely because it has nothing to do with The Rom and feels like someone engaged in standard vampire shenanigans rather than a specific crime picked from a list of felonies. I also kind of like the FX Artist for similar reasons, even if it is largely predicated on the clan's unique discipline.
                    Representation wise, we have four men and three women. Only one of the women, the Smuggler, is really sexualized, mostly owing to that unfortunate fishnet top. The Dakini is Indian/South Asian, and the Carjacker is the only black character, which is unfortunate. And we have the Seer, who is The Rom. I'm actually grateful that only one of these played to the old ethnic stereotype of the clan.
                    As far as what's missing, well, a Computer Hacker is somewhat surprising in its absence. Especially after seeing one in Brujah and in the Anarch Cookbook five years ago. (Not to mention having them in Glasswalkers and Artificers, and having an entire Mage faction based around the idea.) And as much as I'm happy to not have more stereotypical "gypsy" characters, I'm mildly surprised at the lack of some sort of militant activist/community guardian type. I know this flies in the face of how vampires would really be seen in Roma society, but given how heavy it was pushed in this and WoD: Gypsies, I find its lack of inclusion a little noticeable.
                    The theme this book was apparently going for was Criminals, but I honestly feel a better theme for the Ravnos is that of Sin. People who are compelled to give into their worst vices and have to either struggle with that or just give up and roll with it. Or sometimes work very hard to justify them. But even if this was going for Criminals, two of them - the FX Artist and the Seer - don't really fit that. Which may be why this collection feels a little muddled and lacking focus.

Next, Clanbook: Giovanni.

Comment

• Here's an idea: The story the Nosferatu tell themselves of their Founder was meant to be an allegory. "If you take someone's beauty away forever, they will hate you and probably want to kill you. Don't do it."

Also, wouldn't it be funny if there were many more Ravnos around than people suspected, because one possible crime/sin they can be addicted to is cursing others to become undead, blood-drinking parasites? Ravnos randomly Embracing people would make them hated alright.

Comment

Working...
                      X