The hungry dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pnizzle View Post
    Their attachment to a place of their death could lead others to believe they are savage tzimisce instead and cause lots of drama.

Yes, indeed. That could be a very interesting angle to explore...

"No, no, don't look any further, my profile is actually more handsome than me"

Comment

Originally posted by Pnizzle View Post
      You could also chapter up relations with other supernaturals. Garou, fae, mage, fomori, weaver, etc

My bad, I thought that was clearly meant in "The connections: The Strigoi and the Kindred, and other creatures, including Moroi and Dhampirs."

Comment

Alqamar Alaswad I loved that series!!! With Rose and Lissa. What was it called again?

Anyway, your idea sounds great and I’d love to read a full write up sometime.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
          Alqamar Alaswad I loved that series!!! With Rose and Lissa. What was it called again?

Anyway, your idea sounds great and I’d love to read a full write up sometime.

Sorry, Penelope... What series do you mean? I'm unsure what paragraph or sentence of mine you are speaking about...

Oh, and thanks for your enthusiasm. I hope to have it finished before summer.

Comment

Your idea for the Strigoi. I thought it came from a teen series about two vampire girls named Rose and Lissa.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Oh, sorry... The ideas are not mine, they have been floating for centuries around Eastern Europe...

Comment

Hi Alqamar,

Glad to see another Hungry Dead enthusiast. Can't wait to take a look at what you have?

Comment

Here are my two cents on this:

I have chosen the name Strigoi (a Romanian word for a type of vampire) and added them to the mythology of (my/a) World of Darkness. Strigoi is both a singular and a plural noun.
                  I have always preferred Strix the older latin name that Strigoi is derived from. This is on the simple basis that some players may not be able to pronounce Strigoi when in mid flow. VTR then came along and did their own thing with the Strix. Not necessarily a bad thing as their are some useful similarities to the hungry dead such as possession of corpses, banes etc.

Strigoi are spirits of the dead returned to Earth after going down to the Underworld; however, they are not Risen. Their souls have been hurt by the Shroud and Oblivion, but they are not split. They don’t have a Psyche or a Shadow, and they cannot learn Arcanoi.
                  Is the Underworld still the one referred to in Wraith the Oblivion? If so how have they managed to avoid the soul being split into Psyche and Shadow. What are the methods of escape from the Underworld? Maybe an Underworld antagonist(s) was experimenting on them whilst still in their plasmic caul for some nefariousness therefore never became actually became Wraiths/Spectres?

Strigoi are not Kuei-jin: they do not have Soul virtues, they do not consume Chi (they can only feast on flesh and blood), and they do not follow Dharmas. However, they are more similar to them than to Cainites. They cannot learn their Disciplines.
                  I would rule that they can use physical Disciplines such as Celerity, Potence, Fortitude. This is show that they are supernaturally tough and to share some mechanics with Kindred which makes it easier on players familiar with VtM. I believe the Risen had access to these as well which allowed them to impersonate Brujah quite well.

Strigoi are not Kindred: they do not have clans, bloodlines or sire/childer relationships and their blood lacks many characteristics vitae displays.
                  Agree with this but may need a term for a group of Strigoi in place of coterie or court etc. VtR used parliament for the Strix due to the owls. Can't make my mind up on this.

They do not consider themselves to be descendants from Caine (as they do not descend from anybody); they consider themselves cursed, however, and their legends are as confusing as those of the Kindred.
                  Yep created via spontaneous embrace, second breath or whatever they want to call it. Legends should relate to the Underworld and maybe the antagonist(s) I mentioned earlier. Being dragged back to hell?

Strigoi do not have Virtues or Humanity scores, and walk a thin path between rational behavior and mindless brutality (this is still in development)
                  Not sure on this. How would a PC function without these kind of mechanics to prevent him from being Jason Voorhees?

Strigoi cannot create ghouls or childer, but in some specific circumstances they can create creatures known as Dhampirs and Moroi. Dhampirs are humans with strigoi blood in their veins from birth; Moroi are bestial, almost mindless, blood-drinking horrors which strigoi control through fear, cruelty and… some other means.
                  Yep, if their blood isn't vitae it shouldn't work in the same way. RE: the ability to create other creatures perhaps some kind of innate blood/ghost magic etc.

Strigoi, Dhampirs and Moroi cannot be Embraced or Diablerized, and the effects of their blood on Kindred, and of Kindred Vitae on them, have been barely studied and the data is extremely scarce (section still in development)
                  Agreed.

Like the Kindred, Strigoi are vampires: they are undead, they need blood to rise every night, they must spend the day protected from sunlight and they lack life signs (pulse, temperature, body heat, etc.…)
                  Agreed

Sunlight does not burn them, but it hurts them and deprives them of their powers and supernatural abilities.
                  I note that this is also a VtR Strix thing.

Strigoi have taboos and weakness, similar to those of the Kindred.
                  Yep should be susceptible to fire etc.

Some say the first of them made a pact with the Crone, others say they follow the steps of Lilith, some others whisper that they stole the secrets of Caine from his descendants; however it happened, they can learn some of the Disciplines of the Kindred, but not all.
                  Yeah maybe the Crone or Lilith (mother of monsters) actually told them the secrets of making monsters. Perhaps to form a non-Cainite army of vampiric monsters to use against Caine but never had the opportunity to use them?

When they interact with Kindred society, they usually pass themselves as Caitiff or, in the time of Thin Blood, as Thin-Blood vampires. Some Cainites consider them a threat and hunt them; some others ignore them, and some have forged alliances and even unlikely friendships with them.
                  Yeah should be able to interact with Kindred in some form with attacking on-site.

The Kindred most familiar with Strigoi are the Gangrel, the Tzimisce and the Tremere, from their Transylvanian domains, and the Ventrue, who remember them from Roman times as degenerate lemures, or vengeful spirits of the restless dead.
                  VtR Stix again can provide some more inspiration on this as they were very active in Roman times.

Strigoi are known by many names across the world; other names for them include moroi (which are, in fact, a different creature, spawned by Strigoi) and the hungry dead.
                  Their should always be misinformation and confusion on this. Need to keep the PCs guessing after all.

Comment

If the Strigoi have specific mechanics for how their powers work, I'd recommend putting those in a separate chapter, much like how VtM has a chapter for Kindred Disciplines. Not because it's strictly necessary, but for organization purposes. Make it easy to find whenever a person needs to look them up.

Given that "former witch or warlock" was stated as a possible origin, would Strigoi be able to learn or even start with Paths of Sorcery? (That is, mortal Sorcerer paths, not blood sorcery). Would they instead use ported-over Paths from Thaumaturgy, Necromancy, and/or Koldunism? Some combination of these? Or would Strigoi have their own ways of handling magic mechanically?

Comment

Thanks for your comments and visiting, Baron John and Bluecho . So far, the text is in an extreme form of development, so anything can change.

Thanks a lot, really.

Baron John , your analysis rocks! It's going to be extremely useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X