VTM: Why the Masquerade will last.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CultofJimmy View Post

That is actually really interesting. I could see it happening, but I wouldn't go that route as a storyteller because it would alter the game way too much. It would turn it into a cross between True Blood and Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter. Take away the Masquerade, and you take away the whole point of roleplaying a vampire.
    Speaking as a guy who has a world of public vampires and shifters, I agree. It's the difference between Urban Fantasy and Horror.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CultofJimmy View Post

That is actually really interesting. I could see it happening, but I wouldn't go that route as a storyteller because it would alter the game way too much. It would turn it into a cross between True Blood and Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter. Take away the Masquerade, and you take away the whole point of roleplaying a vampire.

There'd still be a masquerade, only it's a shift to a more -It's us, perfectly innocent vampires, working charities, treating the mentally ill, showing off our musical skills and imparting our knowledge of long lost history for the good of mankind. We certainly aren't doing anything bad or even mildly scandalous, anything at all, no-sir-e. Don't come in now, there's dust everywhere"

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
      There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

So once vampires go public it just shifts from vampire biker gangs to vampire corporations. Vampires become the Elves in the movie Bright.

Comment

It becomes Shadowrun with vampires, basically. Which is how games in the nineties often were anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
            So once vampires go public it just shifts from vampire biker gangs to vampire corporations. Vampires become the Elves in the movie Bright.
            Generally you can run 90% of V:TM games without changing much.

It just means humans are even more stupid to let the wolves walk among the sheep.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
              Generally you can run 90% of V:TM games without changing much.
              The few times I messed with it, the short term is as you say about 90% the same. But once you allow some time to pass, the small adjustments you have to make have larger setting ramifications.

A good example is that the Masquerade shifted from restricting information about vampires to purging vampires who weren't on morality Paths that were compatible with being public. Also because humans are a fickle bunch, the less human the clan or bloodline appeared, the more they were suppressed.

One of the more interesting turn arounds is the Salubri, since they have one of the more humane discipline combos and their weakness is practically good PR for humans.

Comment

Working...
              X