[V5] Cappadocians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V5] Cappadocians

The wiki is saying that Cappadocian's are trickling to the Camarilla. Does anyone else find this odd? I certainly do. Odd enough that I've made a homebrew where they go to the anarch's instead, which I'd like to share.

Cappadocian (Hecata)
    Optional Discipline Spread: Fortitude, Oblivion, Presence

The Cappadocian's... countless were sacrificed by our founder, then we were almost exterminated by the treacherous Giovanni, and finally nearly subsumed by the wraith's called Harbingers. The Capuchin is a false god! The true Clan of Death has returned! The Promise of 1528 has not been forgotten! The Cappadocian's will not be forgotten! Gone are the scholars! Vae Victis!

Bloodline Abilities
    1- Death Eternal: The Cappadocian's have endured, and will always endure, once per scene add one automatic success to any Stamina or Resolve Roll.

2- Necromantic Adept: The Cappadocian's have studied death for countless millennia, gain two extra die on any Oblivion Ceremony roll relating to raising the dead and animated dead add two extra die to resist disintegration.

3- Fear of Oblivion: The Cappadocian's channel the fury of their lost clan, getting two extra die on any Intimidation roll against Hecata and also causing a two dice penalty on any Social roll from Hecata that is targeting the Cappadocian.

4- Crypt Guard: The Cappadocian's have learned many practical lessons in securing rest, gain four dots to spread between Haven and Retainers.

5- Awaken: The Cappadocian's have rediscovered an ancient rite, with it they can attempt to raise themselves or another Kindred from Torpor. Spend two points of Willpower and Roll Resolve + Medicine (difficulty 10 - Humanity) for one turn each success you awaken yourself or another Kindred, but suffering from Hunger 5. Reducing Hunger to 4 or less fully awakens the Kindred. Until fully awakened the Kindred is more an animated corpse and as such may act even while staked (fire and sunlight are unaffected).

Originally posted by Kahnabys View Post
    The wiki is saying that Cappadocian's are trickling to the Camarilla. Does anyone else find this odd? I certainly do. Odd enough that I've made a homebrew where they go to the anarch's instead, which I'd like to share.

Cappadocian (Hecata)
    Optional Discipline Spread: Fortitude, Oblivion, Presence

The Cappadocian's... countless were sacrificed by our founder, then we were almost exterminated by the treacherous Giovanni, and finally nearly subsumed by the wraith's called Harbingers. The Capuchin is a false god! The true Clan of Death has returned! The Promise of 1528 has not been forgotten! The Cappadocian's will not be forgotten! Gone are the scholars! Vae Victis!

Bloodline Abilities
    1- Death Eternal: The Cappadocian's have endured, and will always endure, once per scene add one automatic success to any Stamina or Resolve Roll.

2- Necromantic Adept: The Cappadocian's have studied death for countless millennia, gain two extra die on any Oblivion Ceremony roll relating to raising the dead and animated dead add two extra die to resist disintegration.

3- Fear of Oblivion: The Cappadocian's channel the fury of their lost clan, getting two extra die on any Intimidation roll against Hecata and also causing a two dice penalty on any Social roll from Hecata that is targeting the Cappadocian.

4- Crypt Guard: The Cappadocian's have learned many practical lessons in securing rest, gain four dots to spread between Haven and Retainers.

5- Awaken: The Cappadocian's have rediscovered an ancient rite, with it they can attempt to raise themselves or another Kindred from Torpor. Spend two points of Willpower and Roll Resolve + Medicine (difficulty 10 - Humanity) for one turn each success you awaken yourself or another Kindred, but suffering from Hunger 5. Reducing Hunger to 4 or less fully awakens the Kindred. Until fully awakened the Kindred is more an animated corpse and as such may act even while staked (fire and sunlight are unaffected).
    The wiki is wrong. Cults of the Blood Gods makes it clear the few surviving Cappadocians are now members of the Hecata which, by V5, is the only independent clan left. Note that by V5 the Harbingers of Skulls are a Cappadocian bloodline much like the Lamia (they survived as well and are part of the Hecata).

As for Cappadocians joining the Anarchs, a few possibly could although their studies seem more suited for less politically inclined Sects. I feel like the most likely Hecata members willing to defect to the Anarchs are probably the Giovanni and their "families" (Milliner, Puttanesca, and so on).

Comment

Originally posted by Haquim View Post

The wiki is wrong. Cults of the Blood Gods makes it clear the few surviving Cappadocians are now members of the Hecata which, by V5, is the only independent clan left. Note that by V5 the Harbingers of Skulls are a Cappadocian bloodline much like the Lamia (they survived as well and are part of the Hecata).

As for Cappadocians joining the Anarchs, a few possibly could although their studies seem more suited for less politically inclined Sects. I feel like the most likely Hecata members willing to defect to the Anarchs are probably the Giovanni and their "families" (Milliner, Puttanesca, and so on).
      They are part of Hecata, but Zelda Brooke, a Lamia, in a section about the smaller bloodlines, says that they're reclusive, but appearing in Hecata and Camarilla domains and speculates that they may be planning to depart for the Camarilla. There's some contradiction in those paragraphs. I do think that they're mostly too old and passive to be drawn to the Anarch movement.

As for other Anarch Hecata, there's the Baron of Naples, and Zelda prosposes that her bloodline could work with the Anarchs, Bahari and House Carna in the future. Plus some Samedi have Ministry contacts.

Comment

A Hecata member can join the Camarilla now while Giovanni were previously forbidden from the Jyhad.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Very. I think the wiki is downright wrong; I don't remember anything from Cults mentioning them joining the Camarilla. For most of them, their loyalty is to the Hecata now.

Main question: why Presence? It's not a discipline I've ever associated with the Cappas or the Harbingers, especially the ones who have no faces. Auspex's always seemed like a good fit for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post

Very. I think the wiki is downright wrong; I don't remember anything from Cults mentioning them joining the Camarilla. For most of them, their loyalty is to the Hecata now.

Main question: why Presence? It's not a discipline I've ever associated with the Cappas or the Harbingers, especially the ones who have no faces. Auspex's always seemed like a good fit for them.
            Like the Camarilla sanctioned their destruction by non-interference. It seems completely illogical that they would go anywhere near the Camarilla, even if it's cannon. In this homebrew they resented the status that the Capuchin gave the Giovanni (the fifth ability for Giovanni Hecata is 5 status in Hecata) and also how the Cappadocian's were subsumed into the Harbingers. I agree Auspex was a good fit for them. I've switched Auspex to Presence though as a sign they are no longer the scholars they once were. V5 Presence has a fear ability and an intimidation bonus, which I felt a good fit and also 2/3 clans in the Anarch's have Presence as one discipline (making it easy for them to learn).

Anyway I'm enjoying this discussion, Cappadocian's have been my favorite clan since I picked up Vampire: The Dark Ages way back in the day. Thanks everyone for replying!
            Last edited by Kahnabys; 06-08-2020, 03:31 AM.

Comment

I also think the wiki is wrong, but then most anyone can edit it. As I understand it the Hekata are not member of the Camarilla as an whole, but individual members of the Hekata may be permitted to dwell in some Camarilla cities. And that is because some players will want to run a Hekata character. But also that there are no more "Cappadocians" left, they are all now Hekata.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                I also think the wiki is wrong, but then most anyone can edit it. As I understand it the Hekata are not member of the Camarilla as an whole, but individual members of the Hekata may be permitted to dwell in some Camarilla cities. And that is because some players will want to run a Hekata character. But also that there are no more "Cappadocians" left, they are all now Hekata.

what I want to know is whether the old clan/bloodline weaknesses are available at character creation, without having to deal with sodding lore sheets fun tax.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                  A Hecata member can join the Camarilla now while Giovanni were previously forbidden from the Jyhad.
                  I've asked you this before, but I really want to know:
                  Is this a V5 addition?
                  I don't know how you can forbid a clan from 'the Jyhad' . Don't you think that's absurd?
                  The Giovanni were keeping to themselves because they were doing weird shit. I don't imagine it's due to some treaty.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post

I've asked you this before, but I really want to know:
                    Is this a V5 addition?
                    I don't know how you can forbid a clan from 'the Jyhad' . Don't you think that's absurd?
                    The Giovanni were keeping to themselves because they were doing weird shit. I don't imagine it's due to some treaty.

It's from the Revised Giovanni Clan Book. The Promise of 1528

Comment

Originally posted by Taggie View Post
                      what I want to know is whether the old clan/bloodline weaknesses are available at character creation, without having to deal with sodding lore sheets fun tax.
                      Yes; they're implemented as Flaws, so you can pick them up when you choose your Merits and Backgrounds. All the old bloodline weaknesses have Flaw equivalents except the agonizing bite, which is now the clan bane for all the bloodlines.

Comment

Yes; they're implemented as Flaws, so you can pick them up when you choose your Merits and Backgrounds. All the old bloodline weaknesses have Flaw equivalents except the agonizing bite, which is now the clan bane for all the bloodlines.

ok. Not sure I like agonising bite for all, but we shall see. Thanks for the information

Comment

Originally posted by Taggie View Post
                          ok. Not sure I like agonising bite for all, but we shall see. Thanks for the information
                          Honestly I agree with you on that one. In my games they have a different universal bane, and the agonizing bite is a Flaw you can purchase at chargen like the others.

What would you have gone with, for a universal bane (since V5's design philosophy means they need one)? For mechanical reasons, some part of it has to scale with "Bane Severity", but that part can be pretty minor relative to the whole. (The main part of the Tremere bane is they can't blood-bond vampires, for example; the scaling part is that it takes (3+Bane Severity) drinks to bond a mortal, which is much less relevant.)

Comment

Like the Camarilla sanctioned their destruction by non-interference. It seems completely illogical that they would go anywhere near the Camarilla, even if it's cannon.
                            Agreed. I can't imagine them ever asking to join the Cam.

In this homebrew they resented the status that the Capuchin gave the Giovanni (the fifth ability for Giovanni Hecata is 5 status in Hecata) and also how the Cappadocian's were subsumed into the Harbingers. I agree Auspex was a good fit for them. I've switched Auspex to Presence though as a sign they are no longer the scholars they once were. V5 Presence has a fear ability and an intimidation bonus, which I felt a good fit and also 2/3 clans in the Anarch's have Presence as one discipline (making it easy for them to learn).
                            Hm…I suppose fear abilities do make sense. If you wanted to go that direction, though, I'd make more parts of their bloodline sheet tie in to this new concept. Maybe draw some parallels to how the True Brujah became the normal Brujah (at least if you believe that story).

For comparison, here's my implementation of them:
                            Cappadocian disciplines are Oblivion, Fortitude, and Auspex. Most Cappadocians also have the Obvious Predator flaw, not obviously decomposing, but showing uncanny signs of death; a few Harbingers go further as a symbol of their devotion, flensing off much of their flesh until they appear skeletal (exchanging Obvious Predator for Repulsive).

Loresheet Benefits:

• The Ashen Mask: You don a plain mask of ash wood, because you have dedicated yourself to the study of death in all its forms. When a sentient being dies within ten feet of you, you can consume their dying breath to heal one point of willpower damage. This is not a subtle process, and everyone around will see you apparently sucking a dark energy out of the air at the moment of death. [Taking the name from the Cults one, but the mechanics have been totally replaced, because the one in Cults is superfluous if you're using the non-human touchstone rules.]

•• The Gold Mask: [As in the Cults manuscript; you're good at covering up deaths. Kind of underwhelming, honestly, and I don't expect many PCs to take it.]

••• The White Mask: [As in the Cults manuscript; you speak for the elders of the bloodline and wear the mask of someone killed in the purges. Social bonuses against other Hecata.]

•••• The Jewelled Mask: You don a mask inlaid with gems, each symbolizing a ceremony you’ve mastered or invented, because you have taken on the role of archivist and librarian among the Hecata. You oversee and protect some small remnant of the Cappadocians’ once-great libraries, carefully preserved through the centuries. This acts as a three-dot Library with a specialty of your choice, and other Hecata might pay dearly to use it, giving you two dots of Status with anyone you allow in. But if anything happens to it, the repercussions will most certainly be dire.

••••• The Obsidian Mask: You don a polished black mask, because you are more than just a vampire—you are a Risen, a wraith inhabiting an undead body, which the Harbingers call “Half-Dead”. Oblivion ceremonies come naturally to you, and can be learned for half the usual experience cost (rounded up). In addition, you gain two dice on all pools to contest or resist vampiric disciplines. However, this protection does not apply to the deathly energies of Oblivion; you can also be affected by any Oblivion ceremonies and amalgams that would affect ghosts, and lose two dice on any pools to contest or resist these. [Pretty much like the four-dot benefit from Cults, but with clarified mechanics, and made a bit stronger because it's been moved from 4 to 5.]

Comment

They changed Auspex to Presence because, otherwise, it woukd be blatanty obvious the discipline merge pushed some clans to have thr exatly same discipline spread. Giovanno and lasombra should have the exatly same disciplines, to avoid that they changed giovani discipline Potence to Auspex. But it would make then the same as Cap. So they changed cap auspex to presence, because cap just love literally fuck everybody in the city in v5 I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X