Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[V5] So what do we think is going on in Tokyo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V5] So what do we think is going on in Tokyo?

THE CAMARILLA had this entry on it:

Tokyo

I stayed in Tokyo recently to visit the Regent there, and give them the low-down on activities post- Vienna. I can honestly say, I have never experienced a more intense fortnight in all my time.
    It seems everyone is a tourist here. Life in Tokyo is… weird. I think weird is a fair assessment. I made the mistake of assuming the domain was like everything I’d seen on TV and online, but it’s
    more than that. It’s a total mindfuck.

A vampire can get dizzy in a city like Tokyo. There’s so much heat, but it’s a cold heat. I’ll explain. I did that thing tourists do, standing in the street while the sea of Japanese people flow past you. I did not feel hunger once. Not once. It’s like something here subdues it. I can’t explain it. I asked my fellow Tremere about it, and even they have no clue. Everything here is measured, calculated, precise. It freaked me out so much I ducked into a pachinko parlor (some stereotypes are real) and finally felt the thrum of life again. Some poor old bastard felt my confused, raggedy bite that night, metal balls dropping from his hand…

So, there is a strong Camarilla presence in Tokyo, but I’ve no idea if they send word back to the Inner Circle or the Justicars. I know in this age, everywhere is accessible, but Tokyo and Japan in general are so technology-dependent, it now feels utterly cut off with Inquisition eyes on our emails and messages. This makes the city pretty autonomous. The Kindred here order themselves into set levels, determined by age, and once they reach a certain point (I think three centuries undead?) they are expected to relocate to Kyoto. All but one have, without a fuss.

The one that remains is some gnarly Nosferatu made of scabs and scars, and nobody wants to argue with her. If anyone is in charge of this domain it’s Mayumi Shibasaki. She doesn’t rule, technically, but ensures order is kept and tribute flows upstream. She’s of the Old Clan, so she says, but has no issues with the Tremere. Like I said, Tokyo is weird.

I recommend everyone tries it, but don’t get caught here. Almost every vampire I encountered seemed detached, or vacant, like something was inside them riding their bodies. Probably nothing.
    Lots of interesting facts here:

1. The Prince of Tokyo is an Old Clan Tzimisce.
    2. The city doesn't necessarily answer to the Inner Circle.
    3. The Kuei Jin aren't mentioned at all.
    4. SOMETHING spiritual is perhaps riding the Kindred (does that mean Kuei-JIn are spirit-possessed Cainites in canon now?)
    5. Cainites have clearly been in Japan for centuries
    6. Something suppresses the Hunger here (Dragon Lines?)

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

What if they're gathering power in the form of a large force of obedient Elders to invade China and take territory from the Kuei-jin?

Personally, I would like Kuei-jin to have their hold on East Asia loosened a bit so Cainites can be played in East Asia without some serious lore breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by MalkSam View Post
      What if they're gathering power in the form of a large force of obedient Elders to invade China and take territory from the Kuei-jin?

Personally, I would like Kuei-jin to have their hold on East Asia loosened a bit so Cainites can be played in East Asia without some serious lore breaking.
      Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned the Kuei Jin away completely for something else.

Maybe they're going back to Gaki.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned the Kuei Jin away completely for something else.

A complete retcon is a bit of a nuclear solution. They can still exist, I'm sure they had fans. The Great Leap Outward was a plot point, after all.

Comment

I like to think its the Wan Kuei working in the shadows.

Comment

Maybe Wan Gui are not that prominnent in Asia in V5, they're expelled seriously by kindred or just be retconned as a relatively small splat like Risen

But at least in BJD they're still things and do have some seats, I hope authorities can remain most original stuff and repair a bit
            Last edited by Rock113; 06-13-2020, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Authorities used a rather loose tongue, in order to retcon KotE easier later

Comment

One more flawed but interesting thing removed, to be replaced with Camarilla and Anarch blandness Their isn't even the refuge of the Independent Clans anymore, they have been sucked into the two porridge factions.

Comment

Originally posted by Taggie View Post

One more flawed but interesting thing removed, to be replaced with Camarilla and Anarch blandness Their isn't even the refuge of the Independent Clans anymore, they have been sucked into the two porridge factions.
                  And the literal dozens of Blood Cults that are independent of both and rule whole cities like The Cult of Caine in Atlanta.

Comment

And the literal dozens of Blood Cults that are independent of both and rule whole cities like The Cult of Caine in Atlanta.
                    Your right; the two porridge factions and the water that's supposed to replace the Sabbat. From all I have heard about the cults, they are even less interesting than the Anarchs or cam, which takes effort. At least the Cam are decent antagonists and targets, the cults don't even have that, and the Anarchs have so much plot armor, and the devs want me to like them so much, that I just ignore them.
                    Last edited by Taggie; 06-13-2020, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Your right; the two porridge factions and the water that's supposed to replace the Sabbat. From all I have heard about the cults, they are even less interesting than the Anarchs or cam, which takes effort. At least the Cam are decent antagonists and targets, the cults don't even have that, and the Anarchs have so much plot armor, and the devs want me to like them so much, that I just ignore them.
                      And yet you don't know because you haven't read the book.

Praise Mithras.

Comment

And yet you don't know because you haven't read the book.

Praise Mithras.

Because I am have been underwhelmed with every book so far, I am not willing to gamble that the pattern will break for this one, I don't have the money to invest on a vague hope. Also you have been praising the systems in it, and by what you have been saying they don't sound interesting, or use the frankly awful lore sheets, or both,

But back on topic: they are trying to pull the setting back together, not have warring splats, so expect everywhere to be Cam, anarch or rarely Sabbat, and don't hold out hope of other factions turning up beyond vague mentions for a while (hell the Sabbat aren't even a fleshed out sect yet)
                        Last edited by Taggie; 06-13-2020, 06:02 AM.

Comment

As someone who HAS read the books, your pretty much on the ball. I'm not sure who it is who has a hard-on for " Vampire Religious Fringe Groups" as a concept but they're really not that interesting and forcing them to be fundamental parts of every single faction now is just grating and boring. If they'd been done in ways similar to Roads I could perhaps see the attraction but the majority of them are just either 'Methusalah fan clubs' or slightly twisted takes on mortal fringe religions.

Comment

Originally posted by Damian May View Post

As someone who HAS read the books, your pretty much on the ball. I'm not sure who it is who has a hard-on for " Vampire Religious Fringe Groups" as a concept but they're really not that interesting and forcing them to be fundamental parts of every single faction now is just grating and boring. If they'd been done in ways similar to Roads I could perhaps see the attraction but the majority of them are just either 'Methusalah fan clubs' or slightly twisted takes on mortal fringe religions.
                            My take on them is they're not fundamental parts of every faction, though Gehenna and Ancestor Cults were always a (secret) part of the Camarilla. Blood Cults are actual factions in their own right with the Hecata being the largest and most powerful.

Comment

My take on them is they're not fundamental parts of every faction, though Gehenna and Ancestor Cults were always a (secret) part of the Camarilla. Blood Cults are actual factions in their own right with the Hecata being the largest and most powerful.

I just hope I can play a Samedi/Harbinger etc who didn't join the Hekata, it makes not a lick of sense, the point was to eradicate the usurpers, not join them. (Plus everyone has painful bite...wut? If they have to have a clan weakness [which also makes very little sense] it should be the Cappadocian one)

Also is that your take as in your home brew, or an interpretation supported by the book?
                              Last edited by Taggie; 06-13-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X