Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[V5] So what do we think is going on in Tokyo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Set is a ginger. Red hair, likely with Pale skin and freckles. probably nothing to do with the clan adversion to light. Yet he's an egyptian god (though he is a god of foreigners..)

    I've heard some people in central asia had 'red' hair. How red? unknown. maybe brown is red to some people.

    the second city is thought of as a place in the middle east. yet we have the presence of a red headed anti.

    I think we can only conclude that some of generations 1-3 got around a lot and left a lot of myths behind. Their more static children who couldnt travel the wilderness so freely only shared some of the little they knew.


    Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Black Flag View Post
      No, those are two unrelated things: common ancestry and common mythology. If you conflate the two, you end up with some very bizarre positions, like saying that real-world humans can’t possibly have a common origin because that would mean the Bible is correct, which would be unfair to Buddhists.

      All the world’s vampires can come from a common origin and the Caine myth can be just one culture’s attempt to explain that origin. It’s also entirely possible that the 13 clans we’re familiar with are just one branch of the tree and that other branches differ far more from them than those clans differ from one another. The books have, from the very beginning, been agnostic about the precise number of clans/Antediluvians in existence, and it’s entirely possible there are unknown branches. I suspect the Drowned Legacies represent this sort of thing, having branched off from the old-world vampires so long ago they were entirely forgotten and evolved independently.
      I part of agree. I met once a guy saying both bible and japanese origin myth are correct because the japanese people are not really humans, they are just the mythological elfs that made their asylum here and most of them decided to cover themselves as humans to avoid that the humans go up against them while theyself know that they are as elfes are so much better.

      Anyway back to topic I think that the different vampire myths should be covered in the game and I would really love it, if not everyone is just a cainit but they are really different like the Wan Gui.

      Other thing, Demon Slayer Yaiba had made the oni origin similar to the cainites.


      As I am from Austria I need to clarify two things.
      First my native language is german and so please point out if the english I write is broken so I can improve.
      Second I do not own VTMV nor any line after M20 because it is not out there and I wait for the translation.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
        Set is a ginger. Red hair, likely with Pale skin and freckles. probably nothing to do with the clan adversion to light. Yet he's an egyptian god (though he is a god of foreigners..)

        I've heard some people in central asia had 'red' hair. How red? unknown. maybe brown is red to some people.

        the second city is thought of as a place in the middle east. yet we have the presence of a red headed anti.

        I think we can only conclude that some of generations 1-3 got around a lot and left a lot of myths behind. Their more static children who couldnt travel the wilderness so freely only shared some of the little they knew.
        Weirdly, it makes perfect sense if Set was an albino.

        https://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask67

        Curiously, this would also explain movie Thulsa Doom's blue eyes (though that was James Earl Jones wearing contacts).

        And also Set WOULD have a vulnerability to sunlight.


        Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

          Interestingly, there's also the Moroi. The Moroi are ghosts but they're SEXY GHOSTS.

          Ghosts who go visit mortals, are physical, drain their life force, usually sex them up, and then leave them dead.

          They also can be the children of Strigoi.
          I hope I don't make a lot of mistakes in my project...
          http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...he-hungry-dead


          "No, no, don't look any further, my profile is actually more handsome than me"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Alqamar Alaswad View Post

            I hope I don't make a lot of mistakes in my project...
            http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...he-hungry-dead
            <jumps thread>

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Koronus View Post

              I part of agree. I met once a guy saying both bible and japanese origin myth are correct because the japanese people are not really humans, they are just the mythological elfs that made their asylum here and most of them decided to cover themselves as humans to avoid that the humans go up against them while theyself know that they are as elfes are so much better.
              Holy shit, I hope that guy got some help.

              Comment


              • Ok...coming back in because the snarky dismissive remark apparently wasn't? Honestly it really seemed thats what it was.

                One of ( and certainly not the only) main issues is that I like folkloric vampires. VtM does movie, modern novel and tv vampires which spead by an infectious bloodborne viral effect. In 25 years of research the only folkloric vampire from anywhere in the world which does anything like this is the Yara-Ma-Yha-Who....and thats a much more involved process anyway.

                Sure we could pretend that everyone else is wrong and the only one in thousands of cultures, regions and belief systems who got things correct for every vampire in the world is one irish bloke.

                I like vampires that can rise because they weren't buried with the appropriate honors, or because they were terribly murdered or died in childbirth, or broke sacrosanct beliefs in life.....I like them a lot more than some rando bites you than feeds you blood and then suddenly your a vampire. Now I have no problem with them existing but erasing the types of vampires that I prefer and shoving them into the straight jacket of viral bite modern movie vampire out of a desire to ' simplify' I think does a terrible disservice to the source material and the range of chronicles and stories we can tell.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Black Flag View Post
                  Holy shit, I hope that guy got some help.
                  It's hard to tell sometimes where the racism begins and the batshit lunacy ends.

                  Originally posted by Damian May View Post
                  Ok...coming back in because the snarky dismissive remark apparently wasn't? Honestly it really seemed thats what it was.
                  Are you referring to mine?

                  But yes, I strongly favor Clans that are incredibly diverse and the idea that Kindred can represent hundreds of individual and distinct vampire archetypes. The point of V:TM should be that you can have one system to represent countless different kinds of vampires.

                  It was the one thing I think Requiem did better than V:TM.

                  It's a robust system that you can do virtually any kind of vampire with Discipline+Weakness. I've even had Pendagalan as Kindred show up in my games. You know, the decapitated floating head women.

                  Sure we could pretend that everyone else is wrong and the only one in thousands of cultures, regions and belief systems who got things correct for every vampire in the world is one irish bloke.
                  Haha. Oh, I see, I *REALLY* misread what you were saying because I love folkloric vampires and think that the Clan System is the best to represent them.
                  Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-29-2020, 09:31 PM.


                  Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                  Comment


                  • Some Bloodlines I've used in my games:

                    * Penanggalan: Their Bloodline discipline allows them to separate their head and go have it flying around. Their weakness is that they can only feed on children and pregnant women. They also cannot reproduce with men. I also had them possess Presence and Auspex.

                    * Strigoi: I had them as a Nosferatu bloodline that had Obfuscate, Protean, and Potence. The Strigoi were notable in that they could only be raised from the dead by pouring blood on the graves of evil men and letting it soak into them. The Strigoi's weakness is the fact that they are naturally animalistic and inhuman so they lose Two Points of humanity or Paths when they fail. Mostly they end up as degenerate wights.

                    * Draugr: They have Potence, Protean [they become bears as well as can increase their size], and Fortitude. The Draugr carry a horrifying smell of death wherever they go, however, and are always rotting. They are believed to a Cappadocian bloodline. They tend to inhabit graveyards and sewers like the Nosferatu.

                    * Lamatsu: The serpent bodied lower ones are a Greek bloodline that possesses Protean, Presence, and Thaumaturgy. They believed that Hecate was the first vampire and were practicing
                    witches. They were believed to be a Lasombra bloodline despite the lack of their disciplines because a mirror revealed their true monstrous form.

                    * Gorgons: Pretty much what you'd expect with Medusa allowing a person to be frozen in place at 1st level with a stare and turned to stone at higher levels. Gorgons possess Fortitude, Medusa, and Vicissitude. Their natural forms are hideous but they can assume pleasing ones for a time.

                    I think I had Beckett say that there were 13 Known Clans and something like 200 Bloodlines that he knew of, with most having just a couple of dozen members at any given time.


                    Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                      Some Bloodlines I've used in my games:

                      * Penanggalan: Their Bloodline discipline allows them to separate their head and go have it flying around. Their weakness is that they can only feed on children and pregnant women. They also cannot reproduce with men. I also had them possess Presence and Auspex.

                      * Strigoi: I had them as a Nosferatu bloodline that had Obfuscate, Protean, and Potence. The Strigoi were notable in that they could only be raised from the dead by pouring blood on the graves of evil men and letting it soak into them. The Strigoi's weakness is the fact that they are naturally animalistic and inhuman so they lose Two Points of humanity or Paths when they fail. Mostly they end up as degenerate wights.

                      * Draugr: They have Potence, Protean [they become bears as well as can increase their size], and Fortitude. The Draugr carry a horrifying smell of death wherever they go, however, and are always rotting. They are believed to a Cappadocian bloodline. They tend to inhabit graveyards and sewers like the Nosferatu.

                      * Lamatsu: The serpent bodied lower ones are a Greek bloodline that possesses Protean, Presence, and Thaumaturgy. They believed that Hecate was the first vampire and were practicing
                      witches. They were believed to be a Lasombra bloodline despite the lack of their disciplines because a mirror revealed their true monstrous form.

                      * Gorgons: Pretty much what you'd expect with Medusa allowing a person to be frozen in place at 1st level with a stare and turned to stone at higher levels. Gorgons possess Fortitude, Medusa, and Vicissitude. Their natural forms are hideous but they can assume pleasing ones for a time.

                      I think I had Beckett say that there were 13 Known Clans and something like 200 Bloodlines that he knew of, with most having just a couple of dozen members at any given time.

                      Right, but how do you square the fact that all of these need to be embraced which goes against the base concepts of every single one of them?

                      I mean they ape some concepts of the original being but utterly ignore vast swathes of what they are.
                      Last edited by Damian May; 06-29-2020, 11:43 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Damian May View Post

                        Right, but how do you square the fact that all of these need to be embraced which goes against the base concepts of every single one of them?

                        I mean they ape some concepts of the original being but utterly ignore vast swathes of what they are.
                        Given there's no mythological origin for the Embrace, it's just a thing authors invented so the monsters can self-procreate, I don't see a problem. Mythological fidelity is not an issue when changes are across the board a thing to benefit world-building.

                        Mind you, as a writer, I strongly believe world-building coherency for a setting is ultra-important.

                        I'd much rather have a Cainite Penanggalan than there's another whole different species of monster somehow existing.
                        Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-29-2020, 11:51 PM.


                        Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

                          Are you referring to mine?

                          But yes, I strongly favor Clans that are incredibly diverse and the idea that Kindred can represent hundreds of individual and distinct vampire archetypes. The point of V:TM should be that you can have one system to represent countless different kinds of vampires.

                          It was the one thing I think Requiem did better than V:TM.

                          It's a robust system that you can do virtually any kind of vampire with Discipline+Weakness. I've even had Pendagalan as Kindred show up in my games. You know, the decapitated floating head women.

                          Haha. Oh, I see, I *REALLY* misread what you were saying because I love folkloric vampires and think that the Clan System is the best to represent them.
                          I guess we'll need to agree to disagree. I think the viral reproduction model and system of VtM badly serves the vast majority of vampire folklore and mythology and would prefer a wider variety of mechanical systems to represent to full variety.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

                            Given there's no mythological origin for the Embrace, it's just a thing authors invented so the monsters can self-procreate, I don't see a problem. Mythological fidelity is not an issue when it's across the board a thing to benefit world-building.

                            Mind you, as a writer, I strongly believe world-building coherency for a setting is ultra-important.

                            Yeah. We're never going to agree on this. Its just smashing square pegs into round holes and losing too much of importance in the process for me.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Damian May View Post
                              Yeah. We're never going to agree on this. Its just smashing square pegs into round holes and losing too much of importance in the process for me.
                              I admit, we do seem irreconcilable. I don't see why you'd even have Clans in your game. You don't seem to be taking advantage of, "different varieties of vampire" at all. They all seem to be just tiny variations of the same kind of creature the way you describe them. For me, the fun is that you have all these crazy options from the same creature.

                              But you do you. Everyone's world is different.

                              I mean that sincerely.
                              Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-29-2020, 11:56 PM.


                              Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

                                I admit, we do seem irreconcilable. I don't see why you'd even have Clans in your game. You don't seem to be taking advantage of, "different varieties of vampire" at all. They all seem to be just tiny variations of the same kind of creature the way you describe them. For me, the fun is that you have all these crazy options from the same creature.

                                But you do you. Everyone's world is different.

                                I mean that sincerely.

                                Wait.....WTF?....I "don't seem to be taking advantage of different types of vampires at all" but your the one who just outlined 6 different beings all with variant origins in folklore, variant reasons for being and you then removed their reasons for existing and most of their flavour in order to make them all into the same type of vampire.....

                                In my campaigns I have the viral model vampire, along with the vampire that spontaneously rises, along with the vampire that rises because the human it was made specific preparations before death, the vampire that offended the gods or broke societal mores leaving it unable to rest.....and the vampire that incubates you in its water filled stomach over a series of days until you become what it is. If its a little extra mechanical work on my part its worth it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X