No announcement yet.

What city should get a book next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All things considered, I'd prefer something akin to Damnation City, providing all the tools and advice to design your own.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

You guys ever play pandemic where like, the famous cities of some major countries get a spot, chinese cities take three spots, but the USA alone has seven, California having two of those seven *?
      (*Because San-Diego clearly deserves to be up there with Giants like Jakarta, Istambul, Beijing...)
      Somehow it does better than the world of Darkness.

Shanghai
      Bangkok
      Barcelona
      Kyiv
      Bucharest

Though I feel some of these names aren't exciting to American audiences (what's a Bucharest and why is it by night?) You could probably start with an edgy name to draw people in (CITY OF BLOOD: BUCHAREST BY NIGHT) and exciting cover artwork.

But literally, the publisher should just go through a list of populous cities, pick any that look like Gotham, Pick any with a high corruption rate or turbulent history.

I don't read by-nights. I didn't get around to finishing OG chicago. I just make up my own stories for cities. I might be more interested if this stuff looked good, but it doesn't.

American cities are also like, the least By-Night place I'd be interested in reading into. First thing; There's only modern history, so I don't have to do much of my own research. Second thing, being in the anglosphere has exposed me to enough 'murica and knowing how America is a fun, farcical Oligarchy where.... Anyhow, It gives me lots of my own ideas on how to do things. Kyiv though, the opposite; Rich history I would need to spend good time reading up on, I'm not well exposed to how things work there so a city book would be giving me something new and interesting...

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
        All things considered, I'd prefer something akin to Damnation City, providing all the tools and advice to design your own.
        Damnation City is extremely useful even for a VTM game.

Comment

Barcelona? In what part of Mexico is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
            Barcelona? In what part of Mexico is there?
            I hope this is sarcasm because it is the capital of Catalonia and famous for it sepparatis crisis in Spain.

As I am from Austria I need to clarify two things.
            First my native language is german and so please point out if the english I write is broken so I can improve.
            Second I do not own VTMV nor any line after M20 because it is not out there and I wait for the translation.

Comment

No, it is because some old declarations of George Bush era about Spain being in Mexico and speaking "mexican".

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                No, it is because some old declarations of George Bush era about Spain being in Mexico and speaking "mexican".
                WTF?!? I can hardly believe it.

As I am from Austria I need to clarify two things.
                First my native language is german and so please point out if the english I write is broken so I can improve.
                Second I do not own VTMV nor any line after M20 because it is not out there and I wait for the translation.

Comment

Originally posted by Koronus View Post

WTF?!? I can hardly believe it.
                  I can't find any citation of it even after multiple web searches.

Fun Fact: Most of the Spanish translations of books you see in book stores are in Castilian Spanish, the "official" Spanish national language from northern and central Spain. The irony is that bookstores stock these in an effort to attract Latin American immigrant customers, but they tend to avoid these books because Castilian Spanish is a different dialect than that used in Mexico, Central or South America. And Caribbean Spanish is also an entirely different dialect. (My cousin lived in Columbia for ten years and pointed this out to me one time.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

A few examples:

-Jeb Bush about the Spanish "Republic": https://elpais.com/diario/2003/02/18...07_850215.html

-Donald Trump using images of Melilla as part of Mexico: https://www.europapress.es/internaci...104221401.html

I am still looking for the old declarations of the Geoge Bush comittee, I think he was not himself, but another member of the government.

About the dialects, I am from eastern Spain, I speak castillian and catallonian languages, but even if I understand perfectly the south-american accent, sometimes it is too much musical for us. It is not a matter of words, but pronunciation, I think. Spanish is in Spain a hard and low language, nearly monotone. But there are important efforts to unify their users, there have published years ago some Pan-Hispanic dictionaries and institutions as the Instituto Cervantes are trying to maintain some degree of consensus between the different countries. Is like Australian, North-American, Irish and British English languages, any place has is traits, but it is easy to recognize the meanings.
                    Last edited by Justycar; 07-14-2020, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                      • The book should serve as "tool box" in the sense it teaches the readers how to run a particular style of game or event. CbN showed us a weak prince that appeared strong (Lodin was weak via the Primogen, but appeared strong to neonates). DCbN showed us a strong price that dominated his Primogen. Show us something else. LAbN failed in showing an interesting anarch city. So maybe we get a city that is actually interesting. Or show us a city chronicle that is meant to go through the stages of a Sabbat Crusade. Talk us through the various steps and how the Bishops are planning each phase, so the ST can know how the PCs can aid or thwart it.
                      I remember a discussion about repurposing the Blood Bond adventure, with the duo of infiltrators (Rigaud & Wade) spurring "alternate versions" of the plot, involving Lawrence Ballard x Horatio Ballard, agent Gregory Stephens & Jacob Schumpeter's daughter x Juggler & Schumpeter, to create a general climate of paranoia & distrust around the use and abuse of the Bond, to them slip rumors about Maldavis' origin (it was pre-2nd ed Chicago), along with some about a ritual to shatter the bond, for maximum paranoia....

And sidetrack everybody of their real target - the local kindred ghouls, turned into a troops of exceptionally experienced & well-informed shovelheads, full of anger, resentment & bonds shattered. Is that fine for a start?

• Coterie charts are essential.
                      A book can never have too many coterie/clique relationship charts, never.

• Ghouls are often neglected in the game. Make sure they have their own section, and what "ghoul life" is like in case playes want to play a ghoul, or ST wants to run a ghoul campaign. Or even just cool things that might be done with the NPC ghouls of a character's background.
                      Once as a joke made a "ghouls waiting table" in the Succubus Club or some Elysium i forget. Honestly, that thing snowballed so much crazy my players started to watch out for it more than the Prince's court....The "shovelhead army" from above was one twisted shake-up of that nucleus of the cast.

I think it would work best to select a city not already having a By Night book. Best to strike new ground.
                      Agreed, new places to spur the imagination of players and STs in new ways is always welcome.
                      Last edited by Baaldam; 09-19-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Hmm ... Omaha by Night. 🤔

Comment

For my two cents on the topic I think that the concept of the "by night books" is flawed at its root due to the setting.

In a fantasy setting you can release a book that talks about a place because there is no other source of information about it. With the WoD setting Google is your City Book because it allows you to go to any point in that locations history, rather than the small slice of time that the By Night book is relevant. Also most of the By Night books tend to be designed to be game line or concept exclusive. A good example is the San Francisco by Night book. If you don't want KotE in your game that book is practically useless.

A better design model would be to do By Night books as splat neutral books that more or less is just a big list of historical places and events that could tie into each splat line as story hooks or ST inspiration. Avoid the premade characters and power structure route, most of the groups I have played in tended to scrap the premade characters and power structures and thus it is just wasted page space.

Also if you can't get a writer from the actual area, don't bother trying to make the book. It becomes blatantly obvious how little the writers understand how the given city interacts with the local power structures from surrounding cities.

Comment

I've not really been super into the city by night books and maybe this is just because I'm rewatching the TV series right now, but Fargo by night sounds awesome. It could be a general Northern mid-west book and cover a lot of ground.

Comment

More Asian cities

I will be glad to see Beijing/Shanghai/etc. by Night
                              Last edited by Rock113; 09-20-2020, 03:08 AM.

Comment

While I would like to read about more about the Ashirra I think one city finally deserve a new by Night book.

Berlin. This city has so much wasted potential with its history and contradictions. And as far as I know there is no by night book.*

*We don't speak of this abomination and waste of paper.

Comment

Working...
                                X