Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mask of A thousand Faces; Does this apply to objects on your person?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mask of A thousand Faces; Does this apply to objects on your person?

I was wondering if one could use MoaTF to change the appearance of your clothes, the model of your gun, perhaps even fool others by masking ID cards (Yes, I'm aware that that's Chimestry's territory) and the forum's take on such things. I think, somewhere, I read that Settites wear animal masks and use Thousand faces to make these seem like the real thing.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

In pre-V5, yes.

Comment

Weapons no for certain. There was an advanced power for obfuscate that let you hold a great sword and it could appear as a rose.

Comment

Originally posted by blailton View Post
        In pre-V5, yes.
        This is not a v5 thread
        Originally posted by Pnizzle View Post
        Weapons no for certain. There was an advanced power for obfuscate that let you hold a great sword and it could appear as a rose.
        That's really a power for extreme absurdities, not your normal stuff.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Pnizzle View Post
          If I remember c., the sword still appear as a sword but people don't make drama about it.

Comment

I don't think it ever said specifically in the books. In the games I've played in and run, we've let it hide weapons if it's part of the disguise, like a shotgun as a cane when making myself look like a little old man. I guess it's pretty much up to ST interpretation.

Comment

Pre-V5 there was a 6th level ability called "Conceal Weapon" that hides a weapon from sight even if you attack with it. So it could technically be melded into a disguise as another item if you want to flavor it that way.

But no, Mask of a Thousand Faces only affects your own appearance and mannerisms. It wouldn't affect weapons or other inanimate objects such as clothes or a physical ID card.

Comment

What book was conceal weapon from?

Comment

Player's guide to Low Clans, page 150

Comment

Originally posted by Kael03 View Post
                    Player's guide to Low Clans, page 150
                    Ah that explains it. I was out of the game for a good while around then up till a few years ago.

Comment

Regarding clothes; If a 150kg muscle-vampire turns into a tiny 50kg person, Is the XS illusion wearing XL clothes, are those clothes refited but somehow the vampire can't conciously change them, or can the vampire just change the appearance of these clothes to match what people think the tiny person would wear? I feel like if I can make this drastic change to my person, I should at least be able to change clothes (if at a higher number of successes)

But that said, the V20 book omits talking about clothes and I don't know if that's deliberate or an oversight.

Originally posted by Kael03 View Post
                      Pre-V5 there was a 6th level ability called "Conceal Weapon" that hides a weapon from sight even if you attack with it. So it could technically be melded into a disguise as another item if you want to flavor it that way.
                      but that's very extreme. IE I think you can stab someone with this power and they won't really become aware that your flower is a sword. The "thing" of that power seems that you can make an outlandish change that people believe despite suspension of disbelief breaking down. Changing, say, A Glock pistol into looking like a Browning pistol isn't going to harm your suspension of disbelief: you have a different model of a 9mm pistol that still fires 9mm, that's less significant than, say, making myself a short black female, or making an ordinary looking vampire look like MyWife.

Obfuscate tends to break when move to murder attempt of someone because, just like you can't dominate someone to kill themselves, they won't ignore you lining up their execution. Changing a sword into a flower would need it's own elder power because it's in violation of this principle, changing one pistol into another wouldn't make a difference concerning this principle.

Comment

I would let Mask of a Thousand Faces work with clothes, if for no other reason than because I love the image of an Elder vampire who walks around naked, with only Obfuscate clothing. Basically a vampiric Emperor's New Clothes.

I say an Elder, since their Obfuscate will be high enough that only Auspex 5 vampires will be able to see through their clothe-less-ness.

It's probably either a Malkavian - who legitimately thinks they're wearing the finest clothing, and uses Obfuscate to sell the illusion - or a Nosferatu, who wants to fuck with people. Just daring anyone who can see their nudity to say anything about it.

Comment

Obfuscate does not affect your appearance, your weapons or your clothes. It only affects the minds of the onlookers.
                          That said, you need a higher skill in obfuscate to pull of the more difficult manipulations.
                          More successes means more control. More skill means more effects.

Comment

Welcome to the boards Moriaki!

Mask affects clothing. If you are wearing high heels and a mini dress and you mask yourself into a football player it would kind of give it away. Also Nosfuratu crawl out of sewers and trick pretty people to sleep and feed them sometimes even embracing the vain as punishment only to drop the veil and be a rag covered monster, so I'd say it's cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by Moriaki View Post
                              Obfuscate does not affect your appearance, your weapons or your clothes. It only affects the minds of the onlookers.
                              That said, you need a higher skill in obfuscate to pull of the more difficult manipulations.
                              More successes means more control. More skill means more effects.
                              It's true that MoaTF does not really change the clothes one wears or their face but it affects how people look at them, basically they believe what you want them to believe. You can look like anyone you want (but you don't get more temporary dots in charisma even if you force others to believe you are a supermodel) because those who look at you see you that way despite you not really looking that way at all. So if you use MoaTF to appear like someone else you have spent time studying (and rolled enough successes obviously) the people looking at you will think they see that person and will ignore evidence to the contrary including mismatching or absent ID cards (also subject to good rolls to avoid raising suspicion). Keep in mind that obfuscate fools onlookers but does not fool surveliance devices. A videocamera recording will show an obfuscated nosferatu passing behind a guard post in a military base for example (unless the vampire notices the camera, which means he/she rolls well on an awareness check, and then rolls well on a stealth check to avoid the camera recording him/her entering.

Comment

Working...
                              X