[V20] Clan Hecata Conversion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [V20] Clan Hecata Conversion?

I'm curious to know if anyone has converted the Hecata to V20 from Cult of the Blood Gods?

"Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot."

-V for Vendetta

I haven't done a mechanical conversion but I have distinctly considered using them as a metaplot addition as Giovanni antitribu and other 'Bloodlines of Death' form an alliance for self-preservation and to undermine clan Giovanni for their own interests.

Probably harnessing the impact of the Sixth Great Maelstrom (which I run as being less powerful then it was in the original timeline so that the Dark Kingdoms did survive, it's just a similar situation to any other Maelstrom's aftermath)

Comment

Mechanically, if you're going off V5 RAW, they all have Auspex Fortitude Necromancy and the Giovanni flaw. Nice and easy to convert; not much adjustment needed.

If you're using my homebrew version, you'll need to convert the new flaw (blocked by wards and abjurations), but the spreads are still easy to work with. Give the Giovanni Fort instead of Potence and the rest stays the same.

Comment

I suppose the most complicated part of this would be converting Oblivion to Necromancy. Most powers and rituals of former exist in the latter, albeit with different requirements and flavours. In addition to the Sepulchre, Bone and Ash Paths, which are common among Giovanni, Oblivion has powers and rituals that resemble the Cenotaph/Abombo and Vitreous Paths and the Grave's Decay. Having access to all six of those paths (plus some sort of fate path proposed below) could be one of the perks of the Family Dinner. It would be worth having ideas about how they've come to prominence:
        • Some Giovanni presumably studied Grave's Decay when they were Cappadocians. They might have books about it gathering dust. As Cappadocians, Harbingers might know it too.
        • The Abombo/Cenotaph Path could have been popularised by Ghiberti. Or you could include Mla Watu or Impundulu into Hecata. Given its origins, maybe Samedi knew a variant all along.
        • I doubt there would be enough Nagaraja to teach the Vitreous Path, but Harbingers might.
        Four Oblivion powers and rituals are new, so far as I know:
        • Host Spirit might suit the Bone Path, but I'm not sure and it could be best to leave it as a ritual rather than swapping it in.
        • Withering Spirit is similar to powers of the Vitreous Path, unlike Host Spirit, it's an instant power, so you'd have to choose between fitting it into a path or creating a speed bump by converting it to a ritual.
        • Fatal Precognition and Skuld Fulfilled are concerned with fate, which besides Deathsight, doesn't feature prominently in any path. I think it you should make a new path for it. Maybe Deathsight could be one of them, although that would overlap the Vitreous Path. Perhaps you could a hack a couple of entropy rotes from Mage: The Ascension.

Comment

Well, you can just use all the existing 'Hecata' Clans and Bloodlines as they are in V20 and just have the 'umbrella' organisation called Hecata. Thats the easiest option. Otherwise just erase the other Clans and Bloodlines and make everyone into Giovanni as per V5.

Comment

Originally posted by Japheth View Post
            I'm curious to know if anyone has converted the Hecata to V20 from Cult of the Blood Gods?
            Maybe someone's done it. I think that's a very... niche demographic though.

So you want to... what? Gut necromancy completely and compound all the nasty, opinionated and diverse necromancers with lots of baggage into one easy group. Ok. Well, I'll assume thats what you meant because just doing -auspex/fortitude/necromancy- Giovanni weakness is like, five seconds of work and not really worth discussing in a thread for anything more than a page.

What you're basically wanting to do would be to bring oblivion into V20, right? (Definitely right)
            That's not terribly difficult. Just change the mechanics to reflect how things work in v20. If you want a more V20 paradigm, make paths out of the oblivion powers and try to theme them. And then you take a gun and...

I think more people would be interested in bringing the old necromancy system and societies into V5. However, V5 lacks path magic, so you'd have to throw that in, and then you'd have to do the same to thaumaturgy and then people start getting good ideas and before you know it people've made v5 disciplines work (by making them more like prior editions)
            Last edited by MyWifeIsScary; 07-29-2020, 05:10 AM.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
              Maybe someone's done it. I think that's a very... niche demographic though.
              I believe the proper answer for you in this thread given the OP would be, "No, I haven't."

FYI - this is not me attempting to be harsh but if you're going to appear in a thread, you might not want to show up with the statement, "I hear what you want to do and this is why you shouldn't do it."

Just saying.

Last edited by CTPhipps; 07-30-2020, 05:48 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

To echo CTPhipps: No, I haven't.

My intention is that I'm not sure I'm a fan of V5 yet (mainly because I haven't played V5 yet, let alone met anyone interested in playing it in my area.)

I have the books V5 Core, V5 Cam, V5 Anarch, V5 CbN, and Kickstarted V5 Cult of the Blood Gods. I am intrigued by the setting of V5, but I do like V20 ruleset, and I wanted to adapt Clan Hecata into V20. I was just curious to know if anyone else was interested.

"Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot."

-V for Vendetta

Comment

Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
                  I haven't done a mechanical conversion but I have distinctly considered using them as a metaplot addition as Giovanni antitribu and other 'Bloodlines of Death' form an alliance for self-preservation and to undermine clan Giovanni for their own interests.

Probably harnessing the impact of the Sixth Great Maelstrom (which I run as being less powerful then it was in the original timeline so that the Dark Kingdoms did survive, it's just a similar situation to any other Maelstrom's aftermath)
                  I actually really like this idea. Some of the most powerful of them are already nominally in the Sabbat, so they could in turn push the Giovanni towards the Camarilla or the Anarchs. Plus, the Harbingers, the Samedi and the Cappadocians all look like corpses so they share one weakness across the board.

Comment

Glad ya like it; I may sit down with notes on each of the bloodlines and do a more complete write-up one of these days

Comment

While I haven't run it, I've considered in my headcanon that under V20 rules, the Hecata would serve better as a Sect than as a Clan, even though it does loses some of the more "mystical" implications of the Familty Dinner.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Strange how nobody has enquired what / who was being eaten at the Family Reunion dinner.

Matthew Dawkins
                        In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                          Strange how nobody has enquired what / who was being eaten at the Family Reunion dinner.
                          Well, put that way the answer seems rather obvious. I was under the impression certain events had to remain undefined but if you wish to give us some answers I doubt anyone here will refuse to hear you out...

:P

Comment

Isn't it pretty much agreed that Augustus Giovanni got nommed as part of the Family Reunion?

Comment

Originally posted by Haquim View Post

Well, put that way the answer seems rather obvious. I was under the impression certain events had to remain undefined but if you wish to give us some answers I doubt anyone here will refuse to hear you out...

:P

Oh they'll remain undefined. You get to choose the main course.

Matthew Dawkins
                              In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X