Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't there a tv show about vampire the masquerade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't there a tv show about vampire the masquerade?

Paradox mentioned, when they first purchased White Wolf, that they wanted to have a Netflix like show based on this IP. So why hasn't it happend yet? Vampires are popular right? Maybe not as much as a couple of years, when several vampire tv shows were on the air, but people still like them.

AMC recently bought The Vampire Chronicles from Anne Rice. So that's getting made. But still no word on a show based on The World of Darkness.

Streaming services like Netflix make a lot of shit show's. So why not make a show about an ip that has a loyal followers base? Based on a popular genre (Vampires).

Not to mention the amount of written material that they could use. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that we still don't have a proper tv show based on this universe.
    Last edited by blackshade; 08-18-2020, 12:50 PM.

For the same reason that no one ever did a remake of Ishtar or Waterworld.

Comment

There was, Kindred: The Embraced. Aaron Spelling produced it, the show was absolutely terrible and took huge liberties with the setting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115232/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Comment

Have you watched What we do in the shadows?

You've been playing around the magic that is black
        But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
          Have you watched What we do in the shadows?

I have and i like it but i would like my vampire shows to be a bit more serious. I am a fan of the earlier seasons of True Blood and even The Originals/Vampire Diaries. I think a vampire show set in the World of Darkness made today could trump any vampire show that came before. There is a lot of potential with this franchise that has not come to fruition
          Last edited by blackshade; 08-18-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHappyAngry View Post
            There was, Kindred: The Embraced. Aaron Spelling produced it, the show was absolutely terrible and took huge liberties with the setting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115232/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Best not to talk about that abomination

Comment

Originally posted by blackshade View Post

Hah, ya it was pretty awful. I do like the actor that played the Brujah Primogen, Brian Thompson. Kelly Rutherford without the Southern accent she used in Brisco County Jr feels weird, though. It's an odd collection of the character actors from mid '90s Fox. The only reason to watch it is for the same reason people go to car races just to see a wreck.

Not a TV series and not specifically the same universe Masquerade takes place in, but Only Lovers Left Alive is an awesome, recent vampire flick by Jim Jarmusch. It is so Toreador. What We Do In The Shadows references it with Tilda Swinton running the vampire council, so that was the vampire flick she was in that got her in that scene.

Comment

I found K:tE to be rather entertaining, but I also consider The Room to be the closest thing this world has to an objective masterpiece (as everyone who watches it has a great time)

My guess: A variety of factors:
                V5 is controversial and removes the strong themes that really held a lot of the TV-series appeal. The 90's nostalgia is in right now, but that'd drive up costs.
                Way too many characters, and some of them aren't supposed to age. Yet a narrow focus would confuse people
                It'd be expensive in effects. Especially if they did anything with werewolf.

It'd be fucking miserable, and pretty damn funny if you wanted to do it right.
                Personally, I'd go a whole half season or so before it's even revealed that some of the characters are vampires, and I'd introduce werewolves by following a kid just before his first change, where he slaughters his classroom (a great way to end the first season) You need that kind of slow burn to introduce the setting. But also a producer would make this really difficult to do. Especially when you wanna make political statements (A whole load of incompetent, trigger happy, nasty police) .

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Honestly, you could tell True Blood's writers were straight up cribbling from V:TM in the final seasons when Lilith and the Book of Nod showed up.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

If you squint a little, there have actually been quite a few successful vampire shows in the last decade. Vampire Diaries and the spin of the originals, if you take out the high school drama and ignore some of the less reputable actors was all together not terrible. True Blood was decent if you ignore certain parts like Were-panthers. The Immortals is actually quite amazing if you can deal with sub-titles. Dracula was short, but well produced with some great actors. Being human (BBC version) was actually quite good. The strain was ok, though its more of a zombie apocalypse then a vampire show. The Gates was mostly terrible but I liked the idea of it and of course From Dusk Till Dawn is kind of like a show where you know vampires exist but don't really interact with them.

Not saying any of them where great, I mean realistically if you un-squint, they where all quite terrible, but this may very well be a pretty good reason not to get into the vampire show business, given that in the last 20 years the most successful show about Vampires has been Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The genre doesn't have a particularly great track record of success and seems to generally do better in the movies than in TV shows, though I would argue that both True Blood, Vampire Diaries and The Originals where successful shows that showcase that it is indeed possible to make money.

Comment

I'll always love "Kindred: The Embraced" for the daffy decision to make the Ventrue prince the sympathetic lead character and his Brujah rival the heavy. It was a night time soap opera, so naturally the rich and powerful were the good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Reasor View Post
                        I'll always love "Kindred: The Embraced" for the daffy decision to make the Ventrue prince the sympathetic lead character and his Brujah rival the heavy. It was a night time soap opera, so naturally the rich and powerful were the good guys.
                        Pretty much describes anything done by Aaron Spelling. Hard to believe they guy who made Melrose Place and Beverly Hills 90210 did K:TE.

Comment

You can't tell me the Immortals wasn't someone's Turkish players' V:TM LARP. It is the most 90s show I have ever seen.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshade View Post

"Kindred: the Embraced" is the absolute best kind of utter garbage, and I will go into the void with it, kicking and screaming, before I ever let be forgotten :P

Comment

Originally posted by Kharnov View Post

"Kindred: the Embraced" is the absolute best kind of utter garbage, and I will go into the void with it, kicking and screaming, before I ever let be forgotten :P
                              I was the one who got the Maven of the Eventide to review it:

Comment

Working...
                              X