When was The Feast of Folly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was The Feast of Folly?

I was trying to hammer down a date for this event since I introduced a Harbinger of Skulls to my game as an NPC. Digging through Clanbook Cappadocian didn't give that clear of an answer.

It had to be after the region of Cappadocia had Christianized, so I'd say not before the 4th century.

The event took place before the Giovanni were brought in which was the 11th century.

So there's around a 700 year gap it could have taken place.

There's a bit in Clanbook Cappadocian mentioning when Cappadocius was in Torpor and despairing an angel came to him, he fed on an Arab caravan that was passing by. This was when he converted to Christianity. While it's technically possible it could have been earlier, it might indicate it was after the 7th century after the Arab conquests had begun and their trading networks were rapidly expanding. So if we accept that, it narrows it to between the 7th and 11th centuries, which gets us down to a span of 400 years.

Any other clues on when this event happened?

Does it really matter in the long run? What if I told you it was June 23rd 893 or October 5th 1032?

You've been playing around the magic that is black
    But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
      Does it really matter in the long run? What if I told you it was June 23rd 893 or October 5th 1032?
      Yes, because this can be the difference between a character surviving it or not really knowing about it or only knowing vague descriptions of it. I'm not trying to hammer down an exact date, but narrow it down to a decade or century.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHappyAngry View Post

Yes, because this can be the difference between a character surviving it or not really knowing about it or only knowing vague descriptions of it. I'm not trying to hammer down an exact date, but narrow it down to a decade or century.
        So pick one that suits your purpose, things were left vague for a reason.

Comment

Go early, say the 7th century.

Comment

So pick one that suits your purpose, things were left vague for a reason.
            Of course anyone can just make shit up, no need to explain that. Let's keep this thread for published in game lore, not random dates pulled out of a hat. I've screwed with events in the canonical timeline before in games, but I still like to know what I'm screwing with.

To literally anyone else who actually wants to actually contribute to the conversation, is there any more in game lore on the subject that I've missed. I need to reread the Harbingers of Skulls section of Lore of the Bloodlines and the V20 blackhand. I'm just curious about the lore on it in game and want to know more about it and when it took place.

Comment

Lore of the Bloodlines doesn't give a definitive date. In fact, it goes out of it's way to muddy things by revealing that the memories of the elder Harbingers were damaged due to their time in the Shadowlands and throwing in contradictory stories. And frankly the Harbingers don't really care when the Feast happened. It happened and the Giovanni stole their chance for vengeance, that's what matters to them.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHappyAngry View Post

Of course anyone can just make shit up, no need to explain that. Let's keep this thread for published in game lore, not random dates pulled out of a hat. I've screwed with events in the canonical timeline before in games, but I still like to know what I'm screwing with.

To literally anyone else who actually wants to actually contribute to the conversation, is there any more in game lore on the subject that I've missed. I need to reread the Harbingers of Skulls section of Lore of the Bloodlines and the V20 blackhand. I'm just curious about the lore on it in game and want to know more about it and when it took place.
                A bit antagonistic here. Dial it down.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Players guide to the High Clans had something that narrows things down a bit more. It mentions when Cappadocious awakened, the caravan had travellers from Baghdad that he fed off of. That gives us a time after 762CE since the founding of Baghdad. So the window's getting narrower, between the latter part of the 8th century to the 11th.

Comment

Derinkuyu (which was the cause of the feast) was also being settled/expanded between the 5th and 10th centuries however it saw a massive influx of Muslim Arabs hiding out during the Arab- Byzantine wars of between 780-1180. So at some point Pappy Cap walked in, saw the conditions and decided something had to change.

Comment

Derinkuyu (which was the cause of the feast) was also being settled/expanded between the 5th and 10th centuries however it saw a massive influx of Muslim Arabs hiding out during the Arab- Byzantine wars of between 780-1180. So at some point Pappy Cap walked in, saw the conditions and decided something had to change.
                      That's interesting.

I'm starting to think the Feast of Folly was more recent. If we assume that Baghdad needed to be built up enough (762 is the date of start of construction) for people to identify themselves as being from Baghdad, combined with them having enough time to actually build the Erciyes monestary and fill it with lore and for Christianity to spread throughout the clan, we're probably looking more at 9th-11th century.

Comment

So call it 10th century because it's a round number.

Comment

So call it 10th century because it's a round number.
                          That sounds about right, given they'd need time to build things up there at the Monastary. I'm still digging through old lore to see if I can find any other hints.

Anybody aware of any other books that mentioned the Feast or Cappadocian history? I flipped through the clanbook last night, skimmed the V20 Lore of the Bloodlines and Blackhand and flipped through the section in Players Guide To The High Clans. I don't think I ever looked at Giovanni Chronicles, since I'm not big on the prewritten chronicles, but that might have some info, so I'll skim those next.

Comment

There never was a specific dating of the event in any book. The only reference we have is Khurshid embrace (BJD, pg. 468), which embrace date + "century long civil war" can roughly be put around 775 (aprox). This time is also when Derinkuyu was used by the byzantines to protect themselves from the muslims. Perhaps someone from the lineage of Byzar was involved in this.

- Saga

Comment

Working...
                            X