Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Clans and Why

In this thread discuss your favorite clan. I'll start:

Venture- I used to not like or necessarily dislike them at first. At the time I felt they were just too vanilla compared to the other interesting clans, but over time they became my favorite from the sheer awesomeness they were in the Dark Ages, shadow rulers of Rome in Antiquity and how their practically the de facto rulers of Vampire society if either Camarilla, Anarch, or Sabbat. I as a per their clan, they have baseline access to the two most potent disciplines for manipulating the Kine and other Kindred to their whims: Dominate and Presence; on top of which they also possess Fortitude which already makes them more OP if they ever scramble with a Hunter or just general fight.

Nagaraja- My first real favorite clan as I kept reading VTM material. The whole aspect of them having to eat flesh on top of having to consume blood as usual is a really cool, but also challenging trait about them. The Nagaraja also can eat the corpus of Wraiths and drain their Pathos as a substitute for blood, which is the reason they can have bases in the Underworld. They also have a very interesting name that relates to an obscure part of South Asian mythology.

Tzimisce- Hands down one of the best of VTM, the Lords of the Land and the riveters of Flesh itself. Each Tzimisce can either be a bloodthirsty warrior, a scholar trying to better understand the facets of immortality, or just plain freaks who'd like nothing more than to craft up unique and crazy abominations every night. This clan lets do the more creative things with the craziness of Vicissitude and its also a bonus to bare Animalism with it because you can easily gather up a bunch of wildlife to create your own strange creatures. Beyond that, the Tzimisce are interesting because despite their solitary nature, even among their own other clan mates, they throughout Kindred history have been in embroiled in very interesting conspiracies. My general favorite parts about them is when their Antediluvian, the Eldest, made other branches in Central America and West Africa- especially athe Naglopers.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

There are no bad clans.(But there are some terrible bloodlines). I feel Toreador are the least rewarding because they're neither particularly good or bad at anything and don't want for much, but I kind of enjoy hating them for that?
    Auspex, Dominate and Obfuscate are the best disciplines to play with... but Malkavian culture is kinda weak insofar as a malkavians don't really follow an archtype (their often players do, but that's not really something we should consider)
    The Trinity of good culture are the Nosferatu, Ventrue and Tremere. They also have rocking disciplines and rocking weaknesses and they encourage players to play smart. The Malkavians, Toreador and Gangrel can just cut their losses and run when things go bad but the good trinity are forced to play real smart, but there's more diversity options than the independent and sabbat clans which you often can't justify playing in Camarilla games.

But I also like Brujah for dumb fun so...

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Assamites - silent killers, middle eastern ninjas combined with one of the coolest arts in the 2nd edition Player Guide, was one of the coolest things during the early years of playing at teen ages, with time and reading he became wise judges , ambassadors in addition to spies as the game matured to the gaming group.

Tremere - powerful wizards capable of almost anything in the game, funny how in the beginning the clans gained different nuances, usurper survivors who should not even consider themselves as a clan, I love the hierarchy, dominance and structure that allowed the priramide to survive for so long against so many enemies during history.

Gangrel - became my favorite clan recently, wanderers, gypsies, outlaws, living in freedom night after night, the concept of the strange and mysterious wanderer able to adapt and survive in addition to protecting himself and protecting others if necessary without relying on money, servants, influences or tricks ,.

Comment

My favorite clan is Toreador. I just love them for their versatility. They have combat ability with celerity, they have investigation and sensory powers with Auspex, and they also have social powers with Presence. On top of that, they don't have any real, solid Archetype or strict clan structure to adhere to, so it's not like being a Tremere or a Ventrue where you just 'have' to be a blood mage or a buisinessman or somesuch. And unlike those nasty Brujah they don't have any negative sterotypes beyond being viewed as flighty or slightly weak (an illusion that is easily dispelled with the proper application of Celerity.)

They also don't have any of those crippling weaknesses that force them to live in certain ways just to survive. Like Ventrue who need to be rich or influential so they can get their special blood, or Nosferatu who need to live in the shadows because of their ugliness. A Toreador is as equally at home on the street, or in the boardroom, or anywhere else one could think of. Except outside in the afternoon sun, that is.

A Toreador can be whatever they want to be, experience whatever they want to experience and on top of that they also fit in just about anywhere, Camarilla, Sabbat, Anarch, whatever. Just as Akriel intended.
        Last edited by NuclearSnake; 08-31-2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

My top trio are the Lasombra, because their theme as "masters in the dark", thei shadow powers and their connection to the sea are all things which I find cool, Ravnos, because I really love tricksters and illusionists, and the Salubri, because they are both noble, tragic and tainted all in the same time.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I love the Ventrue.

Comment

Most of the clans are pretty cool, but I have a loathing for any and all that are strongly associated with any form of blood magic.

Magic spell systems have the same problem in any RPG. Over the course of any given edition of any given fantasy game line, there will inevitably be books sold separately that contribute to nothing but power creep for the spellcasters.

We hates it forever.

Comment

It's an explicitly supernatural game, of course there is going to be magic... what do you honestly expect? Even the basic disciplines all the Clans utilize technically count as "magic."

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Ravnos: rogues, tricksters, karmic killers, what's not to love. unfortunately, I don't get to play them much, cause I suck. their clan weakness could use a rework

Brujah: not a fan of the rebels, I'm more into the debaters and devil's advocates types. their discipline spread works, but hard to play cause of their weakness

Toreador antitribu: the revised version (don't like the 2e version much).
                  individualists in the sect of vinculum, human clan in the sect of inhumans. irredeemably depraved and parasitic, even among the sabbat since they suck with their rather weak discipline spread,
                  they represent everything wrong about the sabbat and vampires in general, and I love it.
                  my only issue with them is that their parasitic nature is a necessity, not just a choice,
                  they depend way too much on the vinculum and other sabbat social structures to keep the others on board with them,
                  they can't rely on their powers

Lasombra: the mary sues of VtM. I don't like them as much as I can't hate them. they're good in every way, they suck at nothing.
                  best discipline spread, best weakness, fun blood magic (before it got turned into a standard blood magic system similar to thaumaturgy),
                  they're versatile, they can be anything. fun clan politics.
                  they're just good, and they get to be tragic about it, because they can't take selfies and admire their marysue-ness in the mirror...so tragic

-

Comment

As character to play? XD All clans have their unique things about them thatmake them enjoyable to play and great for storytelling. The weaknesses of some are kinda useless (say Toreador) and if you keep in mind that you can learn out of clan disciplines i woulnt focus on disciplines too much when choosing a character. Each clan comes with a special flavour and culture attached to it and has certain "standards" - now vampires are all about individualism and narcisism so being different is a thing, but the general clan will still have some flair to it.

That said, some clans are way more powerfull than others because of their in clan disciplines and culture. I think Tremere take the cake for thaumaturgy alone. Its by far the most versatile and powerfull discipline.
                    A close second for me is old clan Tzimisce cause coldunic sorcery and the warform are absolute killers, in special as sorcery doesnt require bloodpoints to be spent.
                    Third for me would be Nosferatu. Use animalism to create a decoy, sneak up with obfuscate, strike with potence. Killer combo.
                    Though in open combat the Brujah with celerity and potence own everyone else.

If we talk high level then its absolutely Azaneali. Shadow form from Obtenebration combined with fire immunity from Daimonion? You are only vulnerable by magic (and who has that but the Tremere and mages) or sunlight. Talk godmode. And if that wasnt enough you get to play with shadow attacks AND Hellfire to anihilate your opponents. Not to mention they also have acces to thaumaturgy, Dur an Ki and Koldunic sorcery through pacts.

Flairwise though my absolute favorite are the Baali. Nothing beats the double masquerade and infernalism. The secrecy, the slow corruption of fellow characters, the darkness...marvellous. Secret meetings with the coven, playing in the Tal Mahe Ra? Just fckn wow. Their neonates get exposed to territory that most elders dont dable into. Also their embrace is very unique too. Or you join later with apostacy ^^

Second are the Tremere. Clan Tremere has a very unique culture to it, very close knit group and magical atmosphere.

Third...i actually like Toreador. They are masters at being puppeteers ^^
                    Last edited by Orkar; 09-01-2020, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Tzimisce would be my personal favorite. They are selfish, arrogant, territorial and vain, but they generally keep their word and have a way with animals.

I would fit right in.

Comment

Ventrue, first clan I ever played. The discipline spread is great, especially since we play with DA:V20 rules which gives Fortitude a bump. And if you play them right, you don't have to be a typical business person.

Lasombra, who doesn't love a Master of Shadows. Almost as good as Ventrue in Manipulation but can punch you into oblivion.

Assamite but only the DA version with viziers, I found the assassin as sole angle a little boring.

Comment

I think some clans are misunderstood here.
                          -Toreador weakness is supposed to occur far more often than most storytellers play it as. It's also an exploitable weakness; Just hang a bauble from the barrel of your shotgun and you've killed yourself a Toreador.
                          - Thaumaturgy RAI/RAW isn't that powerful and is a huge drain on XP and resources (time spent studying is time not spent doing other things; It's usually smarter to have more retainers or resources or closer connections or something like that than an extra spell), plus it's entirely useless in a frenzy.
                          -Most Lasombra are clowns, they play second fiddle to the Ventrue for a reason. I like the arrogance, I like the demands of excellence, but most of them are bullies posturing with delusions of grandeur. That makes them really fun to play. If you can manage to achieve the mary-sue status as a lasombra, you could probably do it with any clan.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
                            -Most Lasombra are clowns, they play second fiddle to the Ventrue for a reason. I like the arrogance, I like the demands of excellence, but most of them are bullies posturing with delusions of grandeur. That makes them really fun to play. If you can manage to achieve the mary-sue status as a lasombra, you could probably do it with any clan.
                            sir mary sue says: "you're absolutely right"

-

Comment

My favorite are probably the Tremere, though I like a lot of the Clans. The Tremere are my favorite not for the reason most may think, it's not Thaumaturgy. I like the Tremere because of the themes and flavor of the Clan. I like the organization. They are a secret society that is very hierarchical, they have all kinds of rituals and secret societies within their already secret society. They are utterly ruthless in their pursuit of knowledge and power. They clawed their way into vampiric society despite the odds against them. They take being a vampire seriously. I actually think I would like them as much if they didn't have Thaumaturgy, though such a change would require a little reworking.

Comment

Working...
                              X