Favorite Clans and Why

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damian May View Post

There are a fair number of aquatic Nossies and a bloodline of Gangrel called Mariners in VtM, or at least there used to be. Not sure if they still exist after V5.
    Cool. Thanks.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

I've also wanted to play a Kiasyd/Maeghar for awhile, too. Fae blooded vampire that's a 7 foot tall alien, awesome! I really dug the shorty story in Lore of the Bloodlines about Nathaniel McCabe. I know there are technically 2 separate bloodlines there, but either would be fun to play as a creepy bookish nerd. Shame I never get to play these days, I'm pretty much always the one storytelling. I did throw one in as a bartender in Tijuana, but she's been pretty minor.

Comment

Kiasyd are really a spit in the face of anyone wanting to play "Vampire, the logistics"*; You can't be a seven foot tall alien looking freak and only rely on Dominate to get you through each night: Mytherceria does not help you feed, Obtenebration... I suppose when you get to 5th level and get some abyss mysticism under your belt you can feed just fine, but that's a problem in itself. A Kiasyd simply can't do night-by night feedings. The only Viable low-level option is to get some ghouls to abduct people for your dungeon, which certainly has it's own significant problems. You can somewhat manage when you can arange one on one meetings and erase the memories from that but even then...

The only thing that makes the Kiasyd work is the long, long, long period of sire tutelage; because they need 50 years and a lot of money to be viable...

Two clan-specific disciplines is a pain. I'd make Mytherceria an Auspex "path" to fix that.
        For the weakness...

So the Kiasyd have two. The freak appearance and the weakness to iron. The lesser weakness being the latter.
        Iron should work as -soakable with stamina, aggravated damage to heal- rather than -totally unsoakable- , unless we're talking obtenebration (Kiasyd Obtenebration should hate iron) (note: This is my opinion of most aggravated damage in general)
        The Freakish appearance... I think what mortals see and what the supernatural see should be different here. Mundane people, kinfolk... they should all see normal people. Ghouls, anything more unatural than ghouls, folks with a good awareness stat... should all see the freak. Now, which form's the true form? Eh. That'd be less of a problem if they weren't so tall.

Also I think that there should be a wildly held belief that drinking Kiasyd/Maeghar blood should grant you strange powers so people frequently hunt them down...

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
          That is a hot picture!

Anywho, favorite clans. Uh, almost all of them?

But only certain interpretations of many of them. For instance, I love Vizier-type Assamites, but not actual assassins. I love 'path of the warrior' type Setites more than the drug-dealing corrupters of innocence.

Tremere and Ventrue and Nosferatu, in general. These three clans, I even like the 'standard' ones, and not just a subset of them.

I love the *feel* of Lasombra, but kinda hate their disciplines (Obfuscate, Presence and Potence feel like they'd suit their themes better). I love the disciplines of 1st edition Malkavians (with Dominate, I don't like Dementation at all), but there's a very, very fine line on Derangement options that aren't super-annoying. Giovanni powers, so cool, Giovanni themselves, so boringly edgelord. Necrophilia! Titter at faux scandal. (I'd play a Samedi over a Giovanni every day and twice on Sunday, and not even bother with Thanatosis, annoying overspecialized / unnecessary Bloodline Discipline #1823. That said, I love the idea of Necromancy, so, whatever, I'm fine with my own hypocrisy!)

A weird twist would be for several 'Clans' to actually be mini-Sects, with few or none being Embraced as a Nosferatu, Malkavian, Follower of Set or Assamite, but each being a place where vampires of all sorts of clans end up, some because they are too ugly and nobody else will take them, some too crazy and have nowhere else to go, some because they have been seduced into the worship of Set, and others because they've been enticed into the bloody crusade of Haqim. One might be embraced by someone who was a 'Follower of Set,' but her actual bloodline was Toreador, before she 'saw the dark' and turned to Set's service. But I think everyone would draw the line for what's a clan, and what's one of these sorts of associations / clubs / mini-sects in a different place.

Even the Tremere could turn out to take in blood sorcerers of all different 'Clans,' and sharing their resources only after the new recruit renounces their ties to their 'birth-Clan' and accepts Tremere as their new 'hermetic father.'

Or the Lasombra could take their inherent elitism a step beyond, and to becme a Lasombra you must already be a vampire of some other Clan and impress the hell out of the current Les Amies Noir, and they invite you to renounce your birth-Clan (secretly, unlike joining the Tremere, because you are expected to officially remain part of them, and keep your new true loyalties secret!) and join them. But it's a secret. Refusing the invitation is a death-sentence, so few suspect that they do this, or how many of them there are, or who among their own clanmates are secretly Lasombra...

Comment

My in alphabetic order
            Salubri: Because they are gentle healers (and protectors during DA) and those are the Roles I love to play in Games.
            Tremere: Because it's magic.
            True Brujah: Because they incorporate my belief from a true genius. Bleach mayby even albino, stoic and emotionless rational thinker.

As I am from Austria I need to clarify two things.
            First my native language is german and so please point out if the english I write is broken so I can improve.
            Second I do not own VTMV nor any line after M20 because it is not out there and I wait for the translation.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
              Kiasyd are really a spit in the face of anyone wanting to play "Vampire, the logistics"*; You can't be a seven foot tall alien looking freak and only rely on Dominate to get you through each night: Mytherceria does not help you feed, Obtenebration... I suppose when you get to 5th level and get some abyss mysticism under your belt you can feed just fine, but that's a problem in itself. A Kiasyd simply can't do night-by night feedings. The only Viable low-level option is to get some ghouls to abduct people for your dungeon, which certainly has it's own significant problems. You can somewhat manage when you can arange one on one meetings and erase the memories from that but even then...

The only thing that makes the Kiasyd work is the long, long, long period of sire tutelage; because they need 50 years and a lot of money to be viable...

Two clan-specific disciplines is a pain. I'd make Mytherceria an Auspex "path" to fix that.
              For the weakness...

So the Kiasyd have two. The freak appearance and the weakness to iron. The lesser weakness being the latter.
              Iron should work as -soakable with stamina, aggravated damage to heal- rather than -totally unsoakable- , unless we're talking obtenebration (Kiasyd Obtenebration should hate iron) (note: This is my opinion of most aggravated damage in general)
              The Freakish appearance... I think what mortals see and what the supernatural see should be different here. Mundane people, kinfolk... they should all see normal people. Ghouls, anything more unatural than ghouls, folks with a good awareness stat... should all see the freak. Now, which form's the true form? Eh. That'd be less of a problem if they weren't so tall.

Also I think that there should be a wildly held belief that drinking Kiasyd/Maeghar blood should grant you strange powers so people frequently hunt them down...
              That'd work for Mytherceria as an auspex variant, hell one of the powers is almost a dupe of spirit's touch.

They might not be the best for interacting with mortals, but you can still always put on a hoody, some foundation to cover your skin and sunglasses and you're in better shape than a Nosferatu without mask of a thousand faces trying to deal with humans. It's not the logistics aspect that I'm after if I played that sort of character, but that it would be an interesting roleplaying experience. Other party members can be the face and deal with mortals, you're more the occultist with abyssal mysticism or perhaps necromancy that the group turns to for occult and investigative matters. The character would fill their niche in the party and others can deal with the humans. The medieval version that became the Maeghar also aren't as freakish as the ones that descended from Marconius. You might just have pointed ears, be exceptionally tall, have really hairy legs or something other minor fey influenced appearance trait. That's not to say I don't think logistics are useless, but not every character needs to be good at that provided they can bring something else to the table.

Comment

Every character should be self sufficient in night to night feeding. The Salubri and Capadocians got wiped so easily because their numbers were limited because their disciplines weren't great for feeding. The Nosferatu have three wonderful disciplines to make up for the ugly and the Samedi at least have the best discipline for it. By contrast the Toreador are the successful generalists of the kindred world that have all the powers they need to thrive anywhere civilisation can be found. Kiasyd pose too many challenges.A hoody, sunglasses and dodgy makeup is only going to attract more attention to the guy who look like he had surgery to become an eldari. If they had two dots of obfuscate, It'd be ok, but they don't. Their tranformation is just too extreme for Kiasyd.

Maeghar... They're not so much of a problem.

I want my players to play viable characters in a solo session, even if we're in a group. I want players to play believable characters, not something that only exists to fill a niche in the party and has to rely on everyone else for all the normal stuff. A good character shouldn't come from a vacuum to exist only when the party gets together.
                Last edited by MyWifeIsScary; 09-05-2020, 03:00 AM.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergeant Brother View Post
                  I’ve sometimes thought it might be interesting to change the Gangrel flaw so that they become more bestial as their Humanity score gets lower rather than gaining a feature based on frenzies. It might have the unintended consequence of making Gangrel highly moral.
                  Yeah, I think that unintended consequence would break them as a clan. The thing is, clan weaknesses should push clans into behaving stereotypically. The Ventrue weakness pushes them into wanting peace, order, and changelessness, because they are the clan that most needs their Herd to be safe and stable. The Toreador weakness pushes them towards encouraging art, because their disciplines are strongest when surrounded by beauty. The Brujah weaknesses encourages them to promote chaos, because they are most hidden in places where humans are rioting routinely.

Making Gangrel suffer especially hard from a low humanity encourages them to behave like old school Salubri. It doesn't fit how they are actually intended to behave. Whereas the animal feature flaw pushes them towards encouraging things to remain rural, since they need to be able to pounce on hitchhickers, campers, and truck-drivers without being caught on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post

Making Gangrel suffer especially hard from a low humanity encourages them to behave like old school Salubri. It doesn't fit how they are actually intended to behave.
                    the same could be said of the animal feature by frenzy system,
                    they need high humanity to keep self-control high enough to prevent frenzy and animal features

Whereas the animal feature flaw pushes them towards encouraging things to remain rural
                    in the Gangrel's case, what pushes stereotype is their discipline spread that is geared towards rural life,
                    they don't have social disciplines like toreador or brujah that would favour a city life

-

Comment

The Gangrel weakness as-is (V20) is fine. It could use more guidelines (stop trying to be that animal you like so much, Alex. You're not a wolf Alex, you're not a crow, only you find this shit cool) (storyteller, don't give Alex a cow face, he deserves it, yeah, but the Beast should be picking from non-domesticated predators, parasites and scavengers here. You're punishing everybody by using farm animals...)
                      I also feel the 'permanent' features should really just last a long time.

I feel City Gangrel, having obfuscate, should have more severe curse-of-ugly mutations. All that said, I think both the clan disciplines and weakness of the clan are both really good for characters that both embrace and reject humanity. The important thing is that Gangrel are rugged individuals that can adapt, be self sufficient (or at least keep humans out of the pipeline; Animal help is great)

For this reason, while I find Gangrel cool, I don't feel like i'm playing Vampire with them so much. I like having lots of humans around, they keep things interesting. A Gangrel is by nature much less invested in things, and I want to get invested in things.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post

For this reason, while I find Gangrel cool, I don't feel like i'm playing Vampire with them so much. I like having lots of humans around, they keep things interesting. A Gangrel is by nature much less invested in things, and I want to get invested in things.
                        well they do get involved with fringe nomadic groups like romani communities or tribals,
                        nowadays, it's easy to find outcasts, animal lovers, nature lovers, new age sects, eco-terrorists or activists that could share a gangrel's wild domain

the only issue with that is that Lupines already occupy that space, and don't leave much to the Gangrel

-

Comment

lupines are few. I think there's stuff Gangrel can use that lupines wouldn't touch, like America's militia. if they can keep their weakness in check there is plenty they can do with mundane social skills or some small investments in OoC disciplines, but everyone can achieve this if they work at it. It's just more of a struggle.
                          Squishy malkavians can also become physically mighty and the nosferatu can become social gods. It's just more work. The Gangrel are just more famous for being anti-social. And If you were seriously threatening a Gangrel's stuff, It'd be more willing to cut losses and run than a ventrue. Because the gangrel is more able to, and because the gangrel has more trouble keeping such attachments.
                          edit:
                          I suppose on the flipside may feel more invested in the connections made. But still they expect loneliness as the default state of unlife.
                          Last edited by MyWifeIsScary; 09-05-2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKhan View Post
                            The Toreador weakness pushes them towards encouraging art, because their disciplines are strongest when surrounded by beauty.
                            ... aren't they most VULNERABLE when surrounded by beauty? It's not unlike someone prone to getting hypnotised hanging up swirly spirals all over their apartment. By that logic, they should strive to keep everything bland and uninspired (could be an interesting approach); they encourage art and beauty because experiencing those things is addictive to them, or rather their Beast, much like the Ravnos' Beast is addicted to crime/sin.

Comment

Originally posted by Konigheim Horror View Post
                              ... aren't they most VULNERABLE when surrounded by beauty? It's not unlike someone prone to getting hypnotised hanging up swirly spirals all over their apartment. By that logic, they should strive to keep everything bland and uninspired (could be an interesting approach); they encourage art and beauty because experiencing those things is addictive to them, or rather their Beast, much like the Ravnos' Beast is addicted to crime/sin.
                              no, when they're surrounded by bland things, they get more sensitive to beauty, so almost anything could transfix them

however, if they're used to seeing beautiful things, they get bored and it gets harder to impress them and transfix them with the stuff they're used to seeing

-

Comment

Never thought of it that way. Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X