Gods and Vampires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    I do think Mithras was the son of a Sun God and a demigod who was Embraced.

Set and company also could have been gods who were Embraced.
    Or the opposite, vampires who transcended to divine status centuries or even millennia after their Embrace.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      "A superhuman being or spirit, worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes."

That's generally the one I go with, anyway; it's a bit of a low bar, but many theistic religions don't feature supreme deities who can create or destroy worlds with a flick of their fingers.

Words change. The concept of what is a god is intrinsically tied to centuries of christian philosophical concepts. We then back date idea and make false assumption about a culture assuming they hold to our ideas of Gods.

For example: Early Christianity was seen as Atheism. Why? Because what they worship does not fall under what the Romans considered Gods. There is an intrinsic quid pro quo in Roman religion, that if the gods do not provide that it was perfectly acceptable to not worship them.

Even the idea of them as non physical entities is much a construct of centuries of redefintion.. at least at one time people probably did believe in super powered physical entities more akin to Thor as gods than the modern view. Hell Alexander was seen as a god within his own life time... so I think the defining point of God is a rather useless term.

I think the better question is.. Is Vampire Set Mythic Set? Is 4th gen Ventrue Mithras.. mythic mythras or did these vampires just steal a story later? Was the predynastic view of Set corrupted by the war with his brother? I think its far more interesting to have vampires steal divinity because their nature is parasitic they are not the sources of things but pull themselves up inside taking over. Even if there was never a "true" Mithras before people started worshiping him... the vampire still found a relgion and bent it do his whims he corrupted not created. At least this is my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
        ... so I think the defining point of God is a rather useless term.
        I would agree with you, if and only if people in this very thread (and, y'know, elsewhere) didn't keep jumping into these kinds of discussion and saying, "Pah! [x] is not a god!"

He/him

Comment

Working...
        X