Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DAV20] Question about tenet on Road of Heaven: Path of Christ

"Failing to spread the Gospel of Christ"

AmI interpreting this correctly: You would violate that tenet in almost any scene where you're not prosteltyzing?

If so, doesn't that make all the other tenets redundant since any of the other ones.... essentially also violate the first tenet.

I'm guessing that they have to leave a Gideon's Bible in the havens of all the Cainites they know.

But, basically, the answer is that DAV20 makes a mess of the roads, and the biggest mess is in relation to the Road of Heaven, where the writing and design is truly terrible. For Christianity, it's worth noting both that proselytising is not a major religious requirement for Christians, and also that it does not function well as a source for dramatic moral choices. And the hierarchy is massively wrong. If a follower of the path has to sell their soul to the devil, if it's the only way to guarantee their night-to-night ability to door knock in the manner of a Jehovah's Witness ... well, they better be getting the parchment and quill pen ready.

The Islamic path is slightly less stupid in terms of its cardinal sin, but barely functional in terms of its hierarchy. The level 2 sin is "breaking the unity of Islam"; without wishing to go into the historical context of Islamic theological debate, this is basically fallout from the First Fitna. In orthodox Islamic theology, Shi'ites are breaking the unity of Islam merely by existing. Of course, if you're a Shi'ite, you think that breaking the unity of Islam is denying that someone is a Muslim, when they identify as one. It's a sin which you can basically never fail.

And if the Path of the Eightfold Wheel sounds a bit Buddhist, due to its name? Well, that's because it's based on flaky 1970s writing about paganism, which borrowed wholesale from the bargain-basement works on Buddhism that were popular at the time.

Learn more about the hidden history of the British Isles in England Will Burn.
    Find out about the struggle to control medieval Syria in The Gates of Damascus.

Comment

Originally posted by uriel View Post
      "Failing to spread the Gospel of Christ"

AmI interpreting this correctly: You would violate that tenet in almost any scene where you're not prosteltyzing?

If so, doesn't that make all the other tenets redundant since any of the other ones.... essentially also violate the first tenet.
      I don't think so, honestly.
      It Is about a moral/etichal concept: you can spread the Gospel in so many different ways and the most important of all Is leading by example, in the Christian religion.

Take for instance Jesus, most of the time he didnt even talk, but did facts; except when in very specific contexts It was needed to explain with words, and so he did.

Talking about the game, you may take that tennent as: when It would be significant, talk about the Word but most of the time lead by example acting and doing as a Christian should.

Otherwise, the whole Path would be broken and also spiritually and theologically poor (allowed fanatic only!)

P.s. Sorry for the poor english but my automatic keyboard Is set on Italian language!
      Last edited by WuZaolover; 09-12-2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuZaolover View Post
        Otherwise, the whole Path would be broken and also spiritually and theologically poor (allowed fanatic only!)
        "Broken" and "theologically poor" are both qualities I would associate with the most recent version of the Road of Heaven...

Learn more about the hidden history of the British Isles in England Will Burn.
        Find out about the struggle to control medieval Syria in The Gates of Damascus.

Comment

Originally posted by James_Willoughby View Post

"Broken" and "theologically poor" are both qualities I would associate with the most recent version of the Road of Heaven...
          Of course, the System listed in the sourcebook of the game Will never be Rich for spiritual/theological purposes, unless the writers are also Priest or have a Theology Degree. I honestly do not expect to have a very specific/explained system when It comes to Moral/ethical/religious aspetcs of the game. Such things are too Deep and personal to be discussed in depth, so they have ti give you a generico guide line and It Is up ti the player to Discovery what the Road X means for his character.

As a matter of fact within each Road there are followers of the same concept with completely differenti Moral and practical ideas regarding the meaning of the X sin (in the hierarchy)

Comment

Originally posted by James_Willoughby View Post
            I'm guessing that they have to leave a Gideon's Bible in the havens of all the Cainites they know.
            That is wonderful. Now I have the notion a Malkavian on the Road will leave vampire version of Chick Tracts around.

Comment

Working...
            X