[Review] Shadows of New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haquim View Post

It's a visual novel. I think it works pretty well in the context of the genre it belongs to. Obviously it's not a rpg or an action game, if you expected that you'll obviously be disappointed.
    A huge number of Coteries of New York reviews basically begin, "Ugh, I thought this would be a sequel to Bloodlines."

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

the game doesn't care much about the rules. which I like, and I like the clan curse better the way you describe it

correct me if I'm wrong, but she seems to have access to high level disciplines despite being 2 nights old

it's a nice change of pace, getting sick of playing boring crippled fledgelings

I think Julia has been dead for an year and half at most but she seems to have a pretty decent level of Potence (I found it pretty awesome when she put a certain someone in his place...), at least some proficency with Obtenebration/Oblivion, same with Dominate. So yes, for a fledgling she's got a good amount of disciplines

CTPhipps: if people buy a visual novel expecting an action game with some Rpg elements and then review it it's them who make themselves ridicolous I think...

Comment

I finished my first play through and got the "bad ending" achievement, which I personally thought was a good ending. I suppose its a matter of perspective. I do have some criticisms, I didn't really feel I was actually investigating anything. There's nothing like skills checks, etc. to allow you to uncover possible clues that would lead to different possibilities. There seemed to be a lack of any hunger mechanic like the first Coteries, which I liked, and it was also a much shorter storyline. However, based on the cost? It was well worth it, and helped scratch my persistent new vampire content itch.

Comment

the music might just be the best thing about this game,
          it translates the deranged and oppressive atmosphere really well while staying melodious

I haven't heard such music since Shadowrun: Hong Kong
          if anyone knows where I can find similar music, please tell me

-

Comment

This game is AMAZING and much stronger than Coteries of New York.

I also show my "nerds should laugh at me" admission that were Julia a real person, she definitely would have shot me down when I fell for her.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

CTPhipps bro, aren't you married?

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
                CTPhipps bro, aren't you married?
                Yes to a very cynical Goth Girl who used to study journalism.

I don't THINK she's Lasombra.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Yes to a very cynical Goth Girl who used to study journalism.

I don't THINK she's Lasombra.
                  HAH...the irony

-

Comment

Originally posted by Haquim View Post

if people buy a visual novel expecting an action game with some Rpg elements and then review it it's them who make themselves ridicolous I think...
                    Sure, but you can also buy a visual novel and expect something more than a mere 4 hours of content.
                    Ace Attorney Trilogy is around 60 hours, an Higurashi chapter is around 12 hours, Fate Stay Night is 60 hours; Stein's Gate is 25 hours.

Coteries of New York is not lacking compared to RPG and so on, it's lacking compared to its own genre, Visual Novels.

Now there are Visual novels that are short, like Neo Cab, Eliza, Kentucky Route, Necrobarista and so on...but they are in another league when it comes to the quality of the writing.
                    There are reasons if Coteries of New York has a much lower metacritic than the games I mentionded: it's because it's mediocre.
                    Last edited by Undead rabbit; 09-14-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
                      There are reasons if Coteries of New York has a much lower metacritic than the games I mentionded: it's because it's mediocre.
                      It does feel like they had more planned but ran out of time.

Comment

That was my impression too, at some point the game (which starts really fine) takes the turbo and throws you at and ending that feels forced and premature (and it comes so quickly that you have a ton of side stories that are left unclosed).
                        That said, I must judge what was published (and, most important, what I paid for).

Comment

It's basically a crime that the game named "Coteries of New York" has no coteries in it. The protagonist's alleged coterie never interacts with each other, and there's literally one scene where more than one member of the coterie is on screen. Your coterie members are irrelevant. They are secluded in individual bubbles, tightly isolated from all other events in the story. It's as bad as Octopath Traveller.

Comment

There was also some blatantly false advertising that they took down, including stating you could join the Anarchs or Camarilla.

Comment

I just finished the game and have to say it's everything a sequel should be. It manages to get rid of a lot of annoying bits, fixed up mistakes of the first game, and developed the characters we met in the previous game while expanding on ones we didn't know much about it but who lurked in the background. A few of the new characters were interesting too.

Some spoilery thoughts:

* I think it's interesting they did a reverse of "Good" and "Bad" endings with the Good ending be where you succumb to the Dark Side and become Primogen of the Lasombra in New York City despite being only a year old. The "Bad Ending", by contrast, has you preserving some of your humanity.

* I was regretful we didn't get the chance to murder our boss, Brian, or that guy who was formerly head of Double Helix.

* I like how Hope just casually accomplished all we wanted to do in a single month because she's a vampire.

* I do think Agathon is probably dead. Dude was not meant for Kindred life and lost his Touchstone.

* Angelo has been looking better. Poor guy really was hit hard by that Thin Blooded serial killer he couldn't save.

* I actually am genuinely impressed they made Benoit interesting. Mind you, I think he's posturing at the end about not believing in God and just wanting to "help" Julia by attaching her to the Catholic Church.

* I liked that Dakota actually is a user. It means she could be a good vampire but is also a shitty girlfriend.

Comment

SHADOWS OF NEW YORK is the sequel to COTERIES OF NEW YORK that came out last year. It is a visual novel set in the World of Darkness by White Wolf Publishing. A visual novel is effectively a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book that is played on a computer and a bit different from a video game since there's often no voice acting or much gameplay. Neither game is anything like VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE: BLOODLINES but I enjoyed the former, so I picked up the sequel when it came out last week.

The World of Darkness is an urban fantasy horror setting where the human race lives alongside monsters. Vampires live in the shadows, hiding under fake identities and preying on the marginalized of society. They have conflicts among themselves, with government assassins, and a handful of other threats. Created in the Nineties, it has a strongly conspiratorial theme to it that focuses on the injustices of society and how much of it exists to serve the interests of the super-rich (as well as undead in this setting). Think THEY LIVE if they mixed it with DRACULA and the LOST BOYS.

The premise is Julia, a young reporter working for a once-trendy magazine, finds her life destroyed by forces beyond her comprehension before she is Embraced to become a Lasomra. Lasombra are vampires with superhuman strength, the ability to bend minds, and control over shadows as well as the ability to see ghosts. Julia's clan is considered the scum of the Camarilla and she is frequently subject to jibes as well as carrying out the worst work of Kindred society. Her only lights in the tunnel are her girlfriend Dakota, a human who loves her, and the Sheriff of New York, Qadir, that considers her a kid sister.

Julia finds a chance to improve her situation for the first time since her Embrace by being assigned to investigate the murder of Anarch Baron Callihan. No one expects Julia to actually succeed in her task and it's all designed to placate the few followers of Callihan. Julia is smart enough to find out the truth but should she? Is it better to play the game and see if she can parlay the secrets she uncovers to personal power? Is it better to stick to what little morality she has left? The choices are ultimately yours with each decision affecting Julia's morality meter. At the end, whether she's a hero or monster will determine your ending.

Shadows of New York benefits from playing Coteries of New York but works as a stand-alone story. It reuses a great deal of assets from that game (mostly art) but also incorporates plenty of new artwork. The soundtrack is excellent, being a sort of pulsing 90s beat that evokes the Goth nightclub atmosphere of the original game. Julia is a fantastic protagonist and oozes personality that makes it enjoyable to follow her adventures. I really liked her relationship with Dakota, her snarky personality, and complicated relationship with both religion as well as her sexuality.

The game deals with the larger concept of truth vs. propaganda. Some individual gamers may find its take on the subject to be politicized or preachy so let the buyer beware. Julia frequently finds that the truth of a subject is less important than the ability to convince people of your version of events. The cornavrius is also addressed in the story, though I don't mind that since vampires are going to be affected by everyone social distancing as well as shutting down the usual hot spots where they might feed. It's only a minor element to the story, though.

I have a few complaints about the game, such as the fact that the Hunger mechanic of the previous game is now absent. Blood was always a pressing issue for the Fledgling in the previous game while Julia doesn't have to ever bother feeding at all in the game. Still, I overall feel like this is a massive improvement over the previous game (and I didn't dislike it). I wouldn't mind another adventure with Julia as the star either. This isn't a video game, though, more of a visual novel and your choices are limited. That isn't something that bothers me, though, because the story is just that go.

Comment

Working...
                                X