X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haquim
    started a topic [Review] Shadows of New York

[Review] Shadows of New York

It's been out a couple of days now and I just finished my first playthrough. I feel like it is pretty good, better than coteries in some respects:
    • characters are fleshed out better
    • the system of choice makes you want to replay it more since every night has different events
    • the way the ending is determined feels more organic than in coteries because your play-choices matter more
    • apparently you can actually have different outcomes
    • besides that Julia as a character has her own developed personality while in coteries the fledgling, no matter the starting clan, had very little personality and some slightly different circumstances that in the end amounted to nothing as the outcome for a successful palythrough was always the same. I like this aspect but I guess some people won't like how Julia is.
    IF the game is considered canon it also changes the metaplot of NY in some respects.

All in all I think the game does what i promises. It's not going to blow anyone away because of the limits of its format (a graphic adventure lasting 3-4 hours per playthrough) but given how cheap it is I believe any V:tM fan can purchase it with no regrets.

All in all I'll give it an 8/10.

Opinions? Ideas? Questions?

Edit:

As for Cons:
    • the game presents the Lasombra's clan flaw wrong, strengthening the idea it jams all technology when it really should only hinder communication tech. Besides it's also mentioned as an advantage because videocameras and the like don't work on them. We know that is not the case images of Lasombra vampires are blurry but don't provide help making them any safer from being recognized. A flaw is a flaw, not an advantage and SoNY risks justifying a lot of people claiming otherwise.
    Last edited by Haquim; 09-12-2020, 08:24 AM.

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Pleiades View Post

then I guess New York is in dire need of a sabbat intervention
    Yeah, it's the irony that the worst thing some Kindred can do is succeed in your society. You have a choice of freedom or power. It's like the Centauri Emperor in Babylon Five.

"It has occurred to me recently that I have never chosen anything. I was born into a role that was prepared for me. I did everything I was asked to do because it never occurred to me to choose otherwise. And now, at the end of my life, I wonder what might have been."

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Sadly, I figure the Camarilla will expect her to be Primogen now.
    then I guess New York is in dire need of a sabbat intervention

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied

thankfully, you got the "good" ending, so Hope should be fine now
    Sadly, I figure the Camarilla will expect her to be Primogen now.

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied
    Basically, she's just slotted into the exact role that she hated her sire for doing.
    thankfully, you got the "good" ending, so Hope should be fine now

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    I thought we met Hope killed her sire, Cara, in COTERIES OF NEW YORK but she's retconned as having Carter Vanderweyden as her sire here. I find that weird and would have thought he'd be a better candidate for her GRANDSIRE.

Also, I kind of feel bad for Hope. All of your coterie goes through some serious damage post your death (or blood bonding). However, I think Hope has the most ironic hell of them. She's being forced to become her sire that she despised and is doing the exact same thing Cara was doing for the Camarilla.

Basically, she's just slotted into the exact role that she hated her sire for doing.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Reading a bit on NPCs here and there in the wiki i got across something funny.

Carter Vanderweyden is supposedly a childe of Julius Abrogard embraced in the early 50's.

But the backstory of archon Dawn Nadaka, while i admit, not outright stating so, seems to strongly imply he was killed by a Tremere before the end of WWII or not long after.

As i said, Abrogard's time of death is not outright stated, so there's wiggle room (maybe Julius got sidetracked for a half decade or something).
    But in context of Carter having black veins he excuses as "New York takeover colaterals", what's another lie? And why would he?

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied
    Originally posted by mfalkenb View Post
    I do find it a very finely distilled Lasombra spirit myself.

Sturbridge - yes meak
    Anarchs and Samira - quite thin here
    that's vague, man

Leave a comment:

• mfalkenb
    replied

It seems like a joke that the High Humanity True Love ending is the "Bad" ending.
    I do agree that it is probably meant as a joke. It pushes the moral quandary under your nose - good, but to get the same feeling purely from playing would be even better.

in the game though, we don't get that feeling,
    the lasombra are a shadowy organization, a clan meaning business, having seemingly ruthless and brutal methodes,
    and you get the option to play the part as Julia without all the apologism
    I do find it a very finely distilled Lasombra spirit myself.

Aisling Sturbridge, a.k.a the "but, but, what about muh thaumaturgical studies" character

the Anarchs were meh, I was hoping for Bloodlines Anarchs. these new ones are lame

Samira was a disappointment, I was expecting her to be an intimdating cainite and menacing presence in the story.
    she turned out to be a glorified room decoration
    Sturbridge - yes meak
    Anarchs and Samira - quite thin here

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied

* I think it's interesting they did a reverse of "Good" and "Bad" endings with the Good ending be where you succumb to the Dark Side and become Primogen of the Lasombra in New York City despite being only a year old. The "Bad Ending", by contrast, has you preserving some of your humanity.

* I was regretful we didn't get the chance to murder our boss, Brian, or that guy who was formerly head of Double Helix.

* I like how Hope just casually accomplished all we wanted to do in a single month because she's a vampire.

* I do think Agathon is probably dead. Dude was not meant for Kindred life and lost his Touchstone.

* Angelo has been looking better. Poor guy really was hit hard by that Thin Blooded serial killer he couldn't save.

* I actually am genuinely impressed they made Benoit interesting. Mind you, I think he's posturing at the end about not believing in God and just wanting to "help" Julia by attaching her to the Catholic Church.

* I liked that Dakota actually is a user. It means she could be a good vampire but is also a shitty girlfriend.

* Julia is too powerful to lower herself to murdering her mortal employer

* Benoit is definitely being honest at the end, and he's the character I relate to the most, having myself embraced masquerading as a believer,
    it's one reason I'm so attached to the Sabbat and the option of masquerading as dark priests, and mad crusaders

* Dakota should come back as a sabbat, a malkavian or toreador antitribu would fit her well

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied
    Could you go into more detail?
    Lasombra in CBN didn't feel like lasombra clan, they felt like lasombra apologists,
    they sounded like pathetic squatters that had to prove something

in the game though, we don't get that feeling,
    the lasombra are a shadowy organization, a clan meaning business, having seemingly ruthless and brutal methodes,
    and you get the option to play the part as Julia without all the apologism

Which ones?
    Aisling Sturbridge, a.k.a the "but, but, what about muh thaumaturgical studies" character

the Anarchs were meh, I was hoping for Bloodlines Anarchs. these new ones are lame

Samira was a disappointment, I was expecting her to be an intimdating cainite and menacing presence in the story.
    she turned out to be a glorified room decoration

note that I haven't played the 1st game, so my opinions on the characters is based only on Shadows of NY
    Last edited by Pleiades; 09-17-2020, 03:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    I just finshed the game and...got the good ending...lol
    I don't know how, I guess I'm too used to playing sabbat
    I hedged my bets and got the Good Ending.

however, it does have the advantage of leaving you tense with a constant sense of insecurity and every choice feels like a gamble that can go terribly wrong.
    at the end of the day, it's all about choosing what to believe in and stick with it with the risks that come with it
    Agreed.

the lasombra are better presented in this games than in chicago BN write up,
    there's still room for improvement but I'm satisfied with it
    Could you go into more detail?

my only issue with this game is...some characters are really cringe
    Which ones?

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by mfalkenb View Post
    I found the game very enjoyable and better than its predecessor. Nice visuals, great music, good story, great characters. Overall a bit more focus.

It is a short and very linear visual novel. That did not bother me, but might not work for everyone.

The only thing I would criticise is the "bad ending" achievement notification.
    It seems like a joke that the High Humanity True Love ending is the "Bad" ending.

Leave a comment:

• mfalkenb
    replied
    I found the game very enjoyable and better than its predecessor. Nice visuals, great music, good story, great characters. Overall a bit more focus.

It is a short and very linear visual novel. That did not bother me, but might not work for everyone.

The only thing I would criticise is the "bad ending" achievement notification.
    Last edited by mfalkenb; 09-17-2020, 08:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pleiades
    replied
    I just finshed the game and...got the good ending...lol
    I don't know how, I guess I'm too used to playing sabbat

the game is pretty good,
    it lacks interactivity, it feels more like the game is playing you rather than you playing the game,
    however, it does have the advantage of leaving you tense with a constant sense of insecurity and every choice feels like a gamble that can go terribly wrong.
    at the end of the day, it's all about choosing what to believe in and stick with it with the risks that come with it

the lasombra are better presented in this games than in chicago BN write up,
    there's still room for improvement but I'm satisfied with it

the main character, Julia, is amazing,
    she's not the usual weak fledgeling, she gets to use her powers fully, which is a nice change,
    I never felt like objecting with her, which is rare (I usually find myself at odds with main characters)

and the music...is just the best thing

my only issue with this game is...some characters are really cringe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X