Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Review] Shadows of New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Review] Shadows of New York

    It's been out a couple of days now and I just finished my first playthrough. I feel like it is pretty good, better than coteries in some respects:
    • characters are fleshed out better
    • the system of choice makes you want to replay it more since every night has different events
    • the way the ending is determined feels more organic than in coteries because your play-choices matter more
    • apparently you can actually have different outcomes
    • besides that Julia as a character has her own developed personality while in coteries the fledgling, no matter the starting clan, had very little personality and some slightly different circumstances that in the end amounted to nothing as the outcome for a successful palythrough was always the same. I like this aspect but I guess some people won't like how Julia is.
    IF the game is considered canon it also changes the metaplot of NY in some respects.

    All in all I think the game does what i promises. It's not going to blow anyone away because of the limits of its format (a graphic adventure lasting 3-4 hours per playthrough) but given how cheap it is I believe any V:tM fan can purchase it with no regrets.

    All in all I'll give it an 8/10.

    Opinions? Ideas? Questions?

    Edit:

    As for Cons:
    • the game presents the Lasombra's clan flaw wrong, strengthening the idea it jams all technology when it really should only hinder communication tech. Besides it's also mentioned as an advantage because videocameras and the like don't work on them. We know that is not the case images of Lasombra vampires are blurry but don't provide help making them any safer from being recognized. A flaw is a flaw, not an advantage and SoNY risks justifying a lot of people claiming otherwise.
    Last edited by Haquim; 09-12-2020, 08:24 AM.

  • #2
    can you play this game without having played the previous one?


    -

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
      can you play this game without having played the previous one?
      You absolutely can, as games Shadows and Coteries are independent of each other, aside from the fact they share a lot of the same "cast".

      If you want to be surprised it's actually better to play this game without having played the first. On the other hand playing Shadows first and then going back to Coteries may be nice for people who want to get to know "the cast" better but will also rob them of quite a few "surprises" in the first game's plot.

      Comment


      • #4
        I heard it does the telltale thing of “fake Choices” where your choices don’t, which is especially frustrating considering it is a visual novel. And you don’t need to program entirely new models and routes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
          I heard it does the telltale thing of “fake Choices” where your choices don’t, which is especially frustrating considering it is a visual novel. And you don’t need to program entirely new models and routes.
          I've finished the game once so I cannot tell you for sure if that is the case or not. What I can tell you is the game lists at least 2 achievements (possibly 3) for reaching diferent endings (Good End, Bad End and possibly Dead End) so it stands to reason you can have different outcomes while making different choices. Note that I don't expect the choices made by the player to radically alter the outcome of the story but to change it on a personal level.

          In coteries you only had one possible finale, the only way to make things end differently was to get killed before completing the game. With shadows I expect the game to give the main character different outcomes depending on choice but I don't expect those outcomes to be wildly different in terms of the New York status quo.

          I got the "Bad End" achievement btw.

          Edit: I did a quick replay and I can now confirm you get the "Dead End" achievement if you make the "wrong choice" when you deal with your sire to be.
          Last edited by Haquim; 09-12-2020, 11:39 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds pretty cool


            “No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Haquim View Post
              • the game presents the Lasombra's clan flaw wrong, strengthening the idea it jams all technology when it really should only deny them reflections
              Fixed it for you.


              Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

              Comment


              • #8
                "IF the game is considered canon it also changes the metaplot of NY in some respects."

                Can you tell what exact changes, please?
                Last edited by trueann; 09-12-2020, 01:34 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by trueann View Post
                  "IF the game is considered canon it also changes the metaplot of NY in some respects."

                  Can you tell what exact changes, please?
                  • Boss Callihan dies early in the game and his death is basically the murder mystery the plot revolves around. This removes one of the most important players in NY introduced with New York by Night and obviously has consequences for the whole Anarch leadership of New York.
                  • I don't want to spoil too much but as everyone who followed Shadows previews knows Ecaterina the Wise is involved in the plot and we get some answers about her status and what happened to her post BJD

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Haquim View Post

                    • Boss Callihan dies early in the game and his death is basically the murder mystery the plot revolves around. This removes one of the most important players in NY introduced with New York by Night and obviously has consequences for the whole Anarch leadership of New York.
                    • I don't want to spoil too much but as everyone who followed Shadows previews knows Ecaterina the Wise is involved in the plot and we get some answers about her status and what happened to her post BJD
                    Thank you!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There are plenty of Merits that work on the curse of a clan(Nos features for one) I don't see why the Lasombra shouldn't have similar options. Character spends xp for it. Bam.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post

                        Fixed it for you.
                        Don't threadcrap.


                        Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good story. Terrible game. Only recommended for die hard fans of vampire the masquerade. I imagine everybody in this forum would enjoy it for what it is. Just dont expect any gameplay

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by blackshade View Post
                            Good story. Terrible game. Only recommended for die hard fans of vampire the masquerade. I imagine everybody in this forum would enjoy it for what it is. Just dont expect any gameplay
                            It's a visual novel. I think it works pretty well in the context of the genre it belongs to. Obviously it's not a rpg or an action game, if you expected that you'll obviously be disappointed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Haquim View Post

                              As for Cons:
                              • the game presents the Lasombra's clan flaw wrong, strengthening the idea it jams all technology when it really should only hinder communication tech. Besides it's also mentioned as an advantage because videocameras and the like don't work on them. We know that is not the case images of Lasombra vampires are blurry but don't provide help making them any safer from being recognized. A flaw is a flaw, not an advantage and SoNY risks justifying a lot of people claiming otherwise.
                              the game doesn't care much about the rules. which I like, and I like the clan curse better the way you describe it

                              correct me if I'm wrong, but she seems to have access to high level disciplines despite being 2 nights old

                              it's a nice change of pace, getting sick of playing boring crippled fledgelings





                              -

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X