Update a canon NPC to 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update a canon NPC to 2020

This is a pretty simple game and one I'm sure everyone gets the basic idea of. You are a White Wolf developer and have been given the option of updating any NPC in the history of the World of Darkness to 2020. You don't have to adhere to the rules or setting of V5 if you don't want to but it's certainly an option. So, feel free to do alternate versions of Jan Pieterszoon, Theo Bell, Lucita, Modius, or whoever.

Just envision how the characters may have changed from the classic WOD to the present circumstances and why.

Have fun!

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Jan Pieterzoon I wasn't a fan of the writers killing him off. Can understand them wanting to get rid of the uber powerful elders, but he's not an uber powerful elder. Instead, he survived the Prague Conclave, but... his sire didn't. He's now assumed his bloodline's legacy by impersonating Hardestadt the Younger as Hardestadt III (Hardestadt the Youngest just doesn't have quite the same ring, and there might always be another down the line). Impossible? Well, let's not forget Hardestadt wasn't a public figure. Theo Bell and Tyler aside, the only Kindred who actually saw him in the flesh on a regular basis are the same ones with a vested interest in Hardestadt's continued survival and value as a symbol. Theo Bell says it's bullshit, he killed Hardestadt, and the Camarilla says that's all a lie.

And just to throw a further wrinkle in things: Theo Bell actually did fail to kill Harestadt. He torpored the old Ventrue, but it was Jan Pieterzoon who finished Hardy off in revenge for being so callously used and periodically mindfucked. He thought he'd finally be free of his sire. But he's not. The Directorate explained that Hardestadt II always had a kid's seat at the grown-ups' table, because he was vastly younger than them, wasn't responsible for his sire's achievements, and was mainly useful to keep around as a symbol because of his sire's role in founding the Camarilla. I never believed Hardy Jr. had a serious place at the table--see how in Giovanni Chronicles I some unnamed Ventrue elders order Hardestadt to oppose the Giovanni coup and Jadviga Almanov to support it, so the Ventrue get to back the winner either way. This is not a scenario that suggests Hardy Jr. is anything more than an underling.

This was a terrible surprise to Jan, though, who'd always believed his sire that Tyler failed to kill "him" during the Anarch Revolt. The Directorate are even more callous and exploitative towards this 300-something jumped-up ancilla than they were to Hardy II, and the gaps in his memory are back. He thinks they're mindfucking him just like his sire did. Jan has achieved his biggest ambition and found the victory to be utterly hollow, because his sire was just a pawn.. Like he is fated to remain, eternally. There is no winning at the Ventrue's game.

I posted this earlier, but why not again:

Dominique Tourain has gone Anarch. She's basically a holdover from the original Anarch Revolt who saw the Sabbat as the first Anarch Movement, only to watch her sect morph over the centuries from something that was about freedom from elder tyranny to exactly the opposite, a heavily top-down organization dominated by its own elders. She'd harbored a lot of doubts about the Sabbat for a while (Black Fox made an excellent post here about its evolution and increasingly authoritarian leadership over the centuries), but always hoped she could push it back towards its roots. She never could. No elders wanted to give up power and the neonates were shitheads with about as much regard for human life as toilet paper. Melinda Galbraith's assassination gave her some hope for the first time in a while, and she made a bid to become regent (as partly detailed in Beckett's Jyhad Diary) that was ultimately unsuccessful. The start of the Gehenna Crusade was the final nail in the coffin to her belief the Sabbat was about freedom, and convinced her the sect could never be reformed. The Anarchs were on the upswing, so she jumped ship.

She wishes she'd thought to do that hundreds of years ago. She could have been an arguably better MacNeil than MacNeil, making her wisdom and experience available to the sect without actually forbidding its members from establishing a working system of government like the Scotsman essentially did.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

Samuel Haight, still an ashtray.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
      But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Sullivan Dane: Sullivan Dane is not getting any older. This is something that's bothering him and not immediately apparent given that he aged to roughly 50 and he's not 100% his former self but he's not exactly weak for his age either. It's just the past twelve or so years that would put him in retirement age just haven't affected him and he's beginning to notice.

There's also the fact that miracles happen around him. He could always drive away Kindred with the power of his faith and see things that were hidden by supernatural power but now it's flat out happening regularly -- which is something that is disturbing his Society of Leopold associates. Nothing like parting the Red Sea or turning water to wine, at least not that he's noticed, but little things like stupendous moments of good fortune like the vampires' goons missing him with their machine guns or a piece of masonry falling on the elder at a dramatically appropriate time.

Ironically, this is actually causing one of the most faithful men of the Modern Age a crisis of faith because it doesn't FEEL like God--at least completely. Instead, it feels like the power is coming from him and his personal angel that he's always gained advice from is noticeably silent.

Sullivan is completely unaware he's an Orphan Mage and has been utilizing coincidental magic for almost a decade. The Celestial Choir's spies in the Second Inquisition (and first for that matter) believe that he Awakened sometime after he broke his vows to the Order by sparing some Thin Bloods. Sullivan is well aware that the Society of Leopold is on the wrong track and believes that Thin Bloods, at least, deserve a chance to be redeemed as they are alive and he may have healed one of the curse (which would be capable of being reversed as they are not undead).

Sullivan would react...poorly to the discovery he's a witch.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Not too in depth, but Velvet Velour.

Instead of starting a night club, over the past near two decades she has been funding and opening dance studios of various styles all over LA and has started to patronize dancers, musicians, and other performers. She still dances, but right now she is focusing on business and proliferation of the arts.

Comment

Dracula was last definitely seen at court in Istanbul in 2002, but there are persistent rumours of him appearing across eastern Europe.

A vampire matching his description protected a pregnant Thin-Blood from the Scourge of Bucharest. The mother he (or whoever that was) saved has since given birth to a daughter, under protection of a Church of Caine in Pristina.

Hundreds of rats attacked a House Tremere facility in Timisoara, killing everyone inside apart from a Thin-Blood seer being held for examination..

If this is him and not an imposter, he appears to have taken an interest in Thin-Bloods and their capabilities...

Craig Oxbrow
            The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Inspired by False Epiphany's great write-up.

Theo Bell

Theo Bell was convinced to turn against Hardelstadt, the Camarilla, and his age old principles by the actions of them to the Anarchs. He had long held Anarch beliefs but believed the system was better until they started throwing the young to the wolves. Thus, he suicidally assassinated Hardelstadt and became a man destined for the Red List. It's a legend in the making.

Too bad it's all lies. Theo Bell has not actually changed any of his opinions on the Camarilla, Traditions, or Anarchs. He was, however, charged by Justicars Lucinde and the late Cerro with infiltrating their ranks. His job was supposed to be to make an attempt on Hardelstadt's life and get staked before he was "rescued" and worked to undermine the Movement in America. You can tell he feels like either someone suckered him or it is the mother of all pooch screwings.

Theo Bell is actually still in contact with Lucinde who is acting like all is according to plan and he is now surrounded by his entire clan having declared him a hero. He's torn between the fact that many want for him to assume a leadership position among the Anarchs vs. the fact he still considers this entire thing a bad mistake.

As such, Theo Bell has reluctantly served as mediator between Anarch factions and those Camarilla Princes who don't want to be horribly murdered. He hasn't been put on the Red List...yet, but knows it's only a matter of time given how many horrible things his actions have done to the Camarilla's stabilty. Yet, ironically, he's doing good work as his coordination and no-nonsense approach means the Movement has avoided shattering the Masquerade even worse as well as forced some stability on some domains.

But does he want to be a Manchurian Baron of Barons? Duke?

Comment

Carna

Epitaph: Femme fatale witch

Quote: “Do you know what I want right now? Lean closer, I’ll tell you. I’ll whisper it in your ear.”

Clan: Tremere

Carna has assumed a somewhat nomadic existence and travels with a circle of allied and like-minded vampires, and ghouls, in caravans of RVs around the continent. Sometimes they are in America, sometimes they are in Canada, and sometimes they are in Mexico. She spent time in Cherry Hill Seminary, Spirit Haven Ranch, and on the road during the late summer of 2020. (This is to say she and her allies were a long ways from the fires which swept across the West Coast.)

However, she normally makes her haven at the Bohemian Grove. This has given her access to any number of powerful people and indirect access to other powerful people. Carna is adept at balancing being femme fatale a being an alluring witch. She does not possess the power of a Prince, but it would be deeply foolish to underestimate her personal power or her network.

Plots and Schemes:

In mid-July each year, Bohemian Grove hosts a more than two-week encampment of some of the most prominent men in the world. (The exception was in 2020, owing to the covid pandemic.) Carna uses her access to, and influence at, the Grove to influence and access the rich and powerful who attend the annual summer meetings. She then secretly uses the magic of “The Book of the Grave War” to break the blood bonds on those under such bonds. To date no vampires outside of her circle know she is responsible for this, which is causing more and more problems for (formally) influential vampires around the world.

Domain and Haven:

Monte Rio Resort (Haven 2, Retainers 2): This is a fancy schamncy resort area in Monte Rio, complete with security, RV grounds, and cabins. Carna’s haven is at the place, which is adjacent to the Bohemian Grove. The Grove itself is her domain, assuming she is in the area. She is usually on hand whenever the powerful come to the place for one ritual or another.

Thralls and Tools:

Neo-Pagans (Contacts 3, Herd 2, Influence 3, Resources 1) and Grove attendees, (Contacts 3, Herd 2, Influence 1, Resources 1). Carna is thoroughly connected to the neo-pagan movement and churches across North America. She does not control it so much as monitor it, feed on it, and occasional use it as recruiting grounds. She also uses the annual gatherings to scout potential thralls and minions in the future.

Kindred Relationships:

Beckett and Vykos, Sucker/Patsy

Aisling Sturbridge, Frenemy, even if they’ve not spoken in years.

Comment

El Diablo Verde retired from wrestling after a glorious twenty year career in order to preserve The Kayfabe. After a brief foray into direct-to-video superhero movies yielded diminishing sales returns, the Tijuana Terror has returned to the ring in the guise of El Hijo Del Diablo Verde.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                    Thus, he suicidally assassinated Hardelstadt and became a man destined for the Red List. It's a legend in the making.
                    I like this. It never made sense to me that Theo Bell wasn't placed on the Red List. If the guy who killed Hardestadt and causes the Brujah/Anarchs to split from the Camarilla doesn't earn a spot, who does? His actions were even more disruptive to the sect than Keminitri's work.

I could see him taking Keminitri's old spot and reducing her to #2 for that very reason. The fact he's not on the Red List should be a red flag to Anarchs that something is up. But most of them don't pay attention to that.

Amusingly, I think Keminitri would go after Bell herself if he became #1. She makes clear several times that she's a vain creature who actively enjoys her spot at the top of the list.

I always figured Tyler was placed on the Red List, too, shortly after its secret establishment in the 1400s, and quietly removed after Helena helped her fake her death to the Alastors.

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                    However, she normally makes her haven at the Bohemian Grove. This has given her access to any number of powerful people and indirect access to other powerful people. Carna is adept at balancing being femme fatale a being an alluring witch. She does not possess the power of a Prince, but it would be deeply foolish to underestimate her personal power or her network.
                    Ooh, nice use of the Grove.

I always figured the Bohemian Grove was the domain of the Technocracy, since they're the supernatural faction most likely to meddle in the federal government/global politics. Vampires tend to be more interested in local stuff.

Carna, though, doesn't know much about the Technocracy, and only thought to check whether other vampires had already claimed the Grove. She discovered none and moved in. I could see Vannevar Thomas happily encouraging her in this ("no vampires here, no siree") in hopes the Technocrats will get rid of her and do his dirty work for him.

Comment

Thanks.

The peculiar rituals at the Grove make it unlikely to be a Technocratic thing. It's those rituals, and the oddness of World Leaders going to the Grove and participating in the rituals, which drew my attention. I'm not certain who else would have tried to secretly run the Grove before Carna, though.

Comment

Alexandra / Callisti & Callisto:

During her reign as Prince of Buenos Aires and Montevideo she felt a summon as powerful as that of her sire, only that it was targeted to not only her but all who shared her age and proximity of generation to Caine. Her rule as Prince was never due to sect allegiance but to remain in control as long as she could pursue her quest within the unmaped road, yet, this summon interfered with her millennia old preparations for the suspire. Alexandra knew of the existence of clanless indigenous kindred within her territories but had a centuries old understanding with them of non-interference. As her Beckoning became unavoidable, she prepared her remaining childer to prevent what she built for half a millennium to be usurped by these hidden menace. She ordered them to let Ricardo Lucero to attain the position of Prince (note: damn, the drowned legacies are such a dumb inclusion to south america within the WOD!!!!) in order to learn their weaknesses and recover the position for themselves until she returns (if ever).

Alexandra traveled to Jarmo, near the Zagros mountains, and then to Al-Shatrah, both places significant to her in the past. She knew of the purge of clan Lasombra before the embrace the socalled "eldest" Montano so she never expected a priest of Ereshkigal to resurface but nonetheless she investigated. Her Beckoning had no immediate explanation, so she settled in Yerevan where she could meditate her next move in the Jyhad.

- Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                          Thanks.

The peculiar rituals at the Grove make it unlikely to be a Technocratic thing. It's those rituals, and the oddness of World Leaders going to the Grove and participating in the rituals, which drew my attention. I'm not certain who else would have tried to secretly run the Grove before Carna, though.
                          I think you could have the Technocracy behind the Grove, but it's a source of internal conflict for them. The Grove was probably started by Sleepers all on its own before some enterprising Technocrats saw an opportunity to influence world leaders by hobnobbing with them at a funny club. Other Technocrats, though, take a dim view of the whole thing, and question whether they're compromising the Technocracy's values in a fairly significant way--they are promoting strange beliefs among a group of people with disproportionate ability to influence the Consensus.

Comment

Ur-Shulgi remains a mystery to the Kindred of the world as he awoke, slaughtered dozens of the highest-ranking Banu Haqim in the world, necessitated the Schism among the castes, and then has disappeared as quickly as he came. There are a variety of questions as to what happened to him with him possibly having been Beckoned himself. Another theory is that Alamut was targeted by US military forces in Syria, possibly manipulated by the Second Inquisition or Camarilla Banu Haqim (or both), leveling the ancient structure and burying Ur-Shulgi under thousands of tons of rock.

The lack of confirmation to his final death or not has left the Banu Haqim in an interesting place as they do not know if the threat is eliminated or not. Also, the ties that Ur-Shulgi's presence severed are not ones easily restored. The Banu Haqim learned who their real friends were, one or the other, and has since scattered as a clan. Many have since made closer relationships with the Camarilla or Ashirra than they have with their former brethren.

The biggest change remaining may be the Web of Knives that, severed of its messianic leader, has since broken up into a variety of competing factions. A majority of them continue to carry out the purge of both their fellow Assamites as well as other Kindred but they are now simply viewed as another Blood Cult.

A violent, dangerous, cannibalistic Blood Cult but one without a home or ancients behind it.

Comment

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Update part 1

The Los Angeles Ripper (A.K.A The Fledgling)

The legend of the Los Angeles Ripper is one that has swept through the Kindred of L.A and has moved beyond it. The details of the story change constantly with virtually every clan claiming him at one point as well as characters even changing their sex or race. The Ripper's general story is the same, though, a Fledgling is illegally Embraced and proceeds to slaughter their way through Los Angeles' Camarilla, Kuei Jin, and Sabbat before taking down the hated Prince Sebastian La Croix.

What happened next is a bit fuzzier as the Ripper either joined the Anarchs, left the city, or became an Archon of the Camarilla. Most tend to believe that the Ripper actually left the city and proceeded to become an ally of Smiling Jack in his attempt to organize the Thin Bloods. The Ripper's identity remains a secret and few even know their real name but they have helped the Duskborn organize as well as strike back at the elder's tyranny.

The Second Inquisition is still hunting them, though, because they want revenge for destroying an entire Inquisition Chapter House.

Therese and Jeanette Voerman

Therese's double-dealing was bound to eventually turn on her. Her two-faced nature and willingness to turn on her own sister made Anarchs already despise her. However, her sister's continued love for her made it so that when she was revealed to be working for the Camarilla, Jeanette revealed it was all an elaborate plan to double-cross them. The deadly duo did not die at the hands of Vannevar Thomas but were forced to ditch their domain in Santa Monica then make a run for the border. The state border it is.

Therese has bounced back from her previous misfortunes by arriving just as the Giovanni of Las Vegas were slaughtered en masse by the Harbingers of Skulls. Their allies were easy pickings for the Anarchs in the city as well as refugees from San Diego. Showing herself able to control the Masquerade in the city, Therse promptly steped up to become Baron of Los Angeles. The fact she proceeded to act almost identical to a Camarilla Prince was not missed and Jeanette then declared herself Baron of Las Vegas. Technically, Therese is still Baron of Los Angeles but their feud has divided the city along traditionalist vs. anarchist lines.

Unfortunately, some things are out of the power of even 6th generations and the pair's city has been nastily hit by Covid-19, forcing the city's Anarchs to feud over scraps than vast wealth. It is now uniquely vulnerable to the Camarilla, though Lucinde has considered offering official recognition to Therese as its ruler in exchange for fealty--as well as the promise of opening it back up, regardless of the danger.

Therese, for once, had a very Jeanette-esque response, "Look at how that worked out for Tara."
                              Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-03-2020, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X