Malkavian derangement ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malkavian derangement ideas

I'm gonna play a young female Malkavian hacker in a chronicle based in Portland. She's very rebellious, kind of a genderswapped Elliot Alderson from Mr Robot, but less socially inept.

But I'm struggling to come up with a good derangement for her. Paranoia feels very obvious for the hacker/Mr Robot concept, but it's perhaps too obvious, and might be pretty frustrating for the other players. I'd like a little bit of paranoia, but not too much - so I need to come up with some other, more colorful form of insanity as her main Malkavian thing. Hence why I went here for ideas! Nothing is too weird or out there, I don't mind fishmalks, but I'm willing to try my hand at very down-to-earth, realistic things too. Anything goes, really! What cool Malkavians have you had in your chronicles, and how were they crazy? What might suit my millennial hacker girl?

The only idea I've got except for the paranoia is something that I just came up with - maybe it's like a crazy conspiracy theory wall-of-crazy rabbit hole kinda thing, as she gets delusions when she goes to deep on the dark web and sees ridiculous connections between things. Of course, being a Malkavian...a few of them ought to turn out to actually be true. But most would just be insanity noise. I dunno. Gimme your ideas!

Edit: I came up with even more as I wrote this. What if she hears voices, but only from her digital devices? Like, she thinks she gets text messages, skype calls and even gets hacked by unknown nonhuman entities. So she can't go anywhere without her smartphone because she desperately need it to keep in touch with the voices, so she can figure out what they want. This can be combined with the paranoia - the entities are of course (she believes) following her every move through spyware and drones. Yet she can't let go of the tech for she feels compelled to listen to the voices to figure out who they are - which will of course forever be hopeless. The Camarilla would obviously be a no-go then, but thankfully she'll be autarkis when the chronicle starts.
    Last edited by Natsymir; 09-27-2020, 09:33 PM.

What you describe sounds like a variation on Sanguinary Animism (from IIRC the revised clanbook), with the character being haunted by spirits of technological devices as opposed to the souls of people she's fed on.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Since in Mage, the evil faction called the Nephandi have deep inroads in the internet, I could easily see a vampire being haunted by spirits of technology. It wouldn't even be insanity if the Heralds of Basilisk group or a similar Nephandi faction were involved. Since it's a hacker character, perhaps they hear the moans from the networks they've hacked?

Comment

I was thinking something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Natsymir View Post
          Edit: I came up with even more as I wrote this. What if she hears voices, but only from her digital devices? Like, she thinks she gets text messages, skype calls and even gets hacked by unknown nonhuman entities. So she can't go anywhere without her smartphone because she desperately need it to keep in touch with the voices, so she can figure out what they want. This can be combined with the paranoia - the entities are of course (she believes) following her every move through spyware and drones. Yet she can't let go of the tech for she feels compelled to listen to the voices to figure out who they are - which will of course forever be hopeless. The Camarilla would obviously be a no-go then, but thankfully she'll be autarkis when the chronicle starts.
          I've ran games for Malkavians with similar, "I hear voices" concepts but this one using technology is pretty cool.

If I were the ST I'd ask you to come up with a half-dozen or so different voices and give them generalized, recognizable traits and maybe a name your character uses to identify them (Me. Green speaks with a southern drawl and often talks about birds or makes similes or metaphors involving birds. Mrs. Blue speaks like a mom from Minnesota but is paranoid and believes the world has been invaded by body snatchers and wouldn't you just know it, that homeless gentlemen coming towards you right now is definitely one of them, and don't say I don't warn you now.) In addition there are dozens of other voices, but these are some of the ones that the Malkavian has started to recognize. Of course all of them are equally untrustworthy and any of them could offer you a potential insight to a situation.

Just as a quick and dirty system when running similar "I hear voices" for Malkavian players I would generally roll a d10 before telling the player what the voice is saying. On a 1 the voice tells the player something that is absolutely not true and would cause fairly significant problems if the player believed it. On a 2-7 the voice tells them something that isn't true but if the player believed it wouldn't necessarily cause any immediate problems. On a 8-10 the voice tells the player something that would be useful or insightful for the player and could help them.

This tends to create situations where the player has to wrestle with whether to believe the voices or not.

Example: The player is speaking with someone they just met in a bar and suddenly weaving among the lyrics the player hears one of the voices say, "He knows where the bodies are, you can trust him." What bodies? Does this person actually know anything? Maybe the player decides to trust the voices and starts talking about bodies.

If I'd rolled a 8-0 maybe the guy has been burying corpses for the local mob and starts looking obviously uncomfortable when the subject comes up. Now the player could use that information to blackmail the guy or convince him to help you find the body of someone who went missing. At the very least it's clear that there's something going on with this guy.

On a 2-7 he doesn't know what the player is talking about, maybe the player makes a bad impression by discussing corpses but nothing significant.

On a 1 maybe the guy is actually an off-duty cop who's been looking for leads into finding a serial killer and now he's suddenly going to be paying closer attention to you because you're talking about corpses out of nowhere and if the player is too trusting that could come back to bite him.

Ultimately I decided to only have a 1 in 10 chance for the information to be actively harmful to the player and a 3 in10 chance for the information to be beneficial because Malkavians are supposed to be Oracles and by giving the player better odds of having something good happen than something bad, it encourages the player to be more willing to play along with the voices.

Comment

Great ideas guys! I think I'll go with this, the GM liked it too.

Comment

Working...
            X