Goblin Roads ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goblin Roads ideas

I was wondering what could happen to a coterie venturing on the goblins' road. In what strange places they might stop, what might happen to them, what creatures they might encounter.

I wrote a Goblins Road story for the YEAR OF THE ROAD anthology and I recommend those books for those who want to use them.

My suggestion is that players should treat the Goblin Roads as more Alan Wake/The Outer Limits and less high fantasy. Basically, they should be weird but not so weird that you've gone off the highways of Chicago to Milwaukee or back.

* A haunted gas station with no attendants but things going on behind your back.
    * Your car mysteriously dying beside a deserted field where SOMETHING is hunting you the moment you step off the road.
    * A devour down a deserted road where you end up in a car chase with a semi-truck that has an insane driver. One who wants you dead for no reason.
    * A pay phone at a truck stop that calls you and tells you that she's in danger and needs help. It's the voice of one of your first victims.
    * Werewolves tracking you, dumping you in a field, and hunting you til morning
    * The fact that it's a 30 minute drive and you've been driving for two hours now.

Like the Oceanview Hotel in Bloodlines. You're a vampire but NOT the scariest thing out there.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-29-2020, 12:49 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the sheer banality vampires give off would cause them to get ejected from the road.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
      But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
        I'm pretty sure the sheer banality vampires give off would cause them to get ejected from the road.
        Depends on Changeling 5. In my games, the Formori returning has removed Banality as a danger.

Nope, just ancient evil gods kidnapping you to be their slaves.

But he's referring to the cursed roads from Milwaukee to Chicago in Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Goblin roads sound really cool.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

They have to hitchhike at some point, but that's okay because they are picked up by Large Marge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
              This is incorrect, and V5 has a loresheet based around traveling such roads.

Comment

What if that coterie take a Psychopomp to drive them and avoid the lupins, in witch kind of place would they stop ? Near a Wyrmhole ? In a toxic place ? A abandoned factory ? They probably should take many stop.

Comment

I try to avoid clearly identifiable supernatural shenanigans ("Oh, look! It's a werewolf/mage/changeling/other splat I've read all the published lore about!") and like to play up the "so fucking weird, what even is this" factor when PCs travel along the dark roads between cities. I also assume freaky supernatural shit happens everywhere, not just Chicago's Goblin Roads, and that it's one of the reasons why vampires prefer not to travel. Some example stuff that can happen:

* The PCs drive by an abandoned sawmill and find stacks of wood with a grain pattern that resembles the screaming face of someone they know. Bonus points if something awful happens to this person later, or if they'd previously died under mysterious circumstances.

* Have a retainer simply go missing without explanation. Leave a disturbing clue behind, like a suicide note in their handwriting, but referencing people that don't exist or events which never happened. ("Amanda, I'm so sorry I never had time for you. I was a terrible father." "He was not anyone's fucking father.") If PCs are diligent and/or you're feeling charitable as a GM (or simply never gave them a chance to prevent the retainer's disappearance), they find the retainer again, in some utterly bizarre circumstance--e.g., lying naked in a barley field in the center of a crop circle, having carved gibberish characters into their own skin. They don't, of course, remember a thing, or they just repeat surreal gibberish if the players suspect Dominate.

* Have a creepy gas station attendant slit their own throat for no discernible reason, laughing as they die. Have a personal possession the PCs seemingly lost or misplaced earlier turn up in the smiling corpse's hand. I used this one in a game. The PC was hilariously freaked out. Started screaming at the air for demons to leave her alone and looking like a total crazy person.

Whatever it is, make it surreal. Make it fucking weird. Think David Lynch. Avoid at all costs making it something players can easily identify (or think they've identified). That kills the mood like nothing else.

World of Darkness: Midnight Roads for CofD has a ton more ideas and is an invaluable sourcebook for Goblin Roads-esque scenarios.
                  Last edited by False Epiphany; 09-30-2020, 02:25 PM.

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

Working...
                  X