Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Revised] Sources for running a Camarilla Masquerade fixer squad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Revised] Sources for running a Camarilla Masquerade fixer squad?

My players have asked to run a chronicle/story about a Camarilla fixer group, some Masquerade enforcers /clean up crew.

Are there any sourcebooks or fan resources I should look at that deal with this aspect of the game?

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Yes, I've had players who have been Hounds and even involuntarily made into Scourges.

I also had an Anarch "Private Detective" who was actually the Sheriff and Masquerade clean up man in their Barony but they paid him by the job because they didn't want to have an actual Sheriff.

Some scenarios I threw their way:

* A Thin Blood caught by the police for breaking into vet clinics to drain animals. People are PISSED because they love their animals. More than if he was a murderer.
    * A ghoul whose master was killed by the Sabbat who is desperate for a fix and called the FBI in hopes of getting some blood. He may have told his family about the Masquerade.
    * A woman who runs an old folks home where she's chemically lobotomized the senile members without family in order to drain them regularly. She's actually of the mind this will save lives and is desperate not to get her "plan" stopped.
    * A coterie of vampires breaking into houses to rob them and feed on sleeping people because they are unable to hunt due to Covid-19. They're not identified as vampires but the police are wanting the house thieves.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 09-30-2020, 06:59 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
      Yes, I've had players who have been Hounds and even involuntarily made into Scourges.

I also had an Anarch "Private Detective" who was actually the Sheriff and Masquerade clean up man in their Barony but they paid him by the job because they didn't want to have an actual Sheriff.

Some scenarios I threw their way:

* A Thin Blood caught by the police for breaking into vet clinics to drain animals. People are PISSED because they love their animals. More than if he was a murderer.
      * A ghoul whose master was killed by the Sabbat who is desperate for a fix and called the FBI in hopes of getting some blood. He may have told his family about the Masquerade.
      * A woman who runs an old folks home where she's chemically lobotomized the senile members without family in order to drain them regularly. She's actually of the mind this will save lives and is desperate not to get her "plan" stopped.
      * A coterie of vampires breaking into houses to rob them and feed on sleeping people because they are unable to hunt due to Covid-19. They're not identified as vampires but the police are wanting the house thieves.
      The first one is right on, just right onI was more pissed off at that guy then the human killers.

Comment

The first thing is....

The masquerade is mostly fixed by money and power. Most people look under the veil and nope the fuck out. So there's a fair few people that have just convinced themselves that they didn't see THAT, nobody would believe they saw THAT, and maybe THAT would come for them if they did something about it.

More important thing is

Serious masquerade breaches don't happen all that often (unless maybe you're playing V5), so there's not all that much you can do in a single city, whilst masquerade-fixing globe-trotters aren't really going to be welcome in a city that has it's own policing (and likely solved the problem before the players arrived)

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

​Given what MyWifeIsScary has said, is the best option to have them simply be ancillae in a thinblood-heavy city? That way they can be fixers to a degree, if only to save their own skins.

More general thought (and disregarding the autofixing masquerade breaches for a second), if they're doing this sort of work, they'd have to be reasonably trusted by the Sheriff, if not the Prince. That again suggests being more than simply neonates, in order to have that level of trust involved.

Maybe just make them a coterie of Hounds and have done, with occasional clean-up as part of their more general duties...

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
          Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Some ways I think this could work.
            -They're helping archons; A whole city is fucked up. From the prince down to the sewers, everyone in this city is fucking up the masquerade or complicit in breaking the masquerade. You've got petty lords openly rulling over gangs as vampires, there are multiple kindred still living with their mortal families and otherwise having social lives. Sexy fuck-heads advertising themselves as vampires to impress people for easy feedings, Vampires are running blogs and youtube chanels. Someone's appearing in far too many snuff films, and there's even a fucking movie in the works.

But that's like... You're just playing butchers really. The key would be to have some Vampires against this shit and trying to seperate the innocent from the guilty (and you can throw other curveballs in there like infernalists and somesuch)

-A city's under attack by sabbat who're doing their very best to fuck up the masquerade. Everyone's pinned down somehow so you need to sort shit out.Of course this may devolve into a simple sabbat game.

You could also go back in time to the renaissance and run a game where you're enforcing the will of the New Camarilla and ensuring all the territories fall into... Compliance. But again that might devolve into a hack and slash and the early modern only has a little less to work with given the tech gap.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

I think it'd make a very good campaign premise, personally.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-01-2020, 02:07 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Honestly, I imagine that Masquerade breaches happen all the time and I disagree with MyWifeIsScary
                Well, V5 is apparently your edition of choice, where the beast is more difficult to manage and the powers vampires have are both more flashy and less capable of covering masquerade breaches up. If we take any older edition (The OP is playing Revised!) where vampires are more stable creatures and work under the assumption that most characters aren't as foolish as PCs tend to be, sizable masquerade breaches are going to be infrequent. Especially since most Camarilla cities are stable or slow-burning (plots taking years, decades or even centuries to come to fruition) whilst games are run in cities where shit is going down.

So yeah, they don't happen often (relatively speaking; We live in a world with more than 7 billion people and Cainites plague 6 of those)

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
                  Well, V5 is apparently your edition of choice, where the beast is more difficult to manage and the powers vampires have are both more flashy and less capable of covering masquerade breaches up. If we take any older edition (The OP is playing Revised!) where vampires are more stable creatures and work under the assumption that most characters aren't as foolish as PCs tend to be, sizable masquerade breaches are going to be infrequent. Especially since most Camarilla cities are stable or slow-burning (plots taking years, decades or even centuries to come to fruition) whilst games are run in cities where shit is going down.

So yeah, they don't happen often (relatively speaking; We live in a world with more than 7 billion people and Cainites plague 6 of those)
                  Weirdly, I'd argue AGAIN with you because in V5, mortals can't resist Dominate if they don't know about it.

So, Vampires can SPAM Dominate.

Go wild with it. No Rouse Checks either.

Comment

This recent RPG.net thread of ideas for Masquerade clean-up plot hooks could provide some ideas.

Craig Oxbrow
                    The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Weirdly, I'd argue AGAIN with you because in V5, mortals can't resist Dominate if they don't know about it.

So, Vampires can SPAM Dominate.

Go wild with it. No Rouse Checks either.

Comment

Why don't you support casual mind-control?

Comment

Do you even use Dominate?

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
                            Do you even use Dominate?
                            Yes, same way they use it in LA by Night.

Honestly, the fact that mortals can't resist it is a big improvement over the previous rules. Don't you agree?

Edit:

Just to make sure it's clear what the rules say.

Cloud Memory

By uttering the phrase “Forget!”
                            the user can make the Dominated
                            victim forget the current moment
                            as well as the last few minutes,
                            enough to mask a superficial
                            feeding or a chance meeting. No
                            new memories are formed and if
                            pressed the victim realizes they
                            have a few minutes missing.
                            ■■ Cost: Free
                            ■■ Dice Pools: Charisma + Dominate
                            vs Wits + Resolve
                            ■■ System: No roll is required
                            against an unprepared mortal
                            victim. Clouding the memory
                            of a resisting victim or another
                            vampire requires a Charisma
                            + Dominate vs Wits + Resolve
                            roll.
                            ■■ Duration: Indefinitely
                            Do you have a problem with this power?
                            Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-01-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Yes, same way they use it in LA by Night.

Honestly, the fact that mortals can't resist it is a big improvement over the previous rules. Don't you agree?

Not at all. I vastly prefered the small risk of failure, the possibility that I'd need to find a different way of dealing with someone difficult, and that when I did succeed I could do a lot more with my successes. V5's dominate is far more restrictive than what I could do with VTM dominate, and yet the V5 restrictions feel more arbitrary/for the sake of 'balance' than something that narratively makes sense.

Also, like, if I'm making a character that uses Dominate, I've probably got 8 dice, I probably have no less than 4 (3 attributes, 1 in the stats i'll use)
                              It's incredibly unlikely that I'll fail.
                              Also, the game says you can auto-succeed if you have more dice than the difficulty and the storyteller's cool with it. So really the Auto-success of V5 is a bandaid among some very harsh nerfs.

Comment

Working...
                              X