Chronicle Naming Conventions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicle Naming Conventions

I'm preparing a campaign for Obsidian Portal, and I'm stumped for a name for the campaign itself. How do people decide on names for their campaigns? Any particular ways of thinking about names?

For this particular campaign, it's set in Hong Kong around 1880-1885, so shortly after the British takeover, between taking the original island and the war that expanded into the New Territories. Lots of intrigue between the Camarilla and the Cathayans, with the Ravnos and an enterprising Giovanni in between.

The name Hong Kong means "fragrant harbour", and I've seen it called the Pearl of the Orient. I was thinking ideas like "Pearl of Blood" or similar, but generally not feeling hugely inspired.
    Last edited by Xerxes; 10-08-2020, 01:58 PM. Reason: Typo

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

I typically try to sum up the setting in the name – to tie elements of the story into one short phrase.
    For example, my first experience of vampire was playing in a LARP, where the setting town started off as a ‘bubble’ that vampires couldn’t leave – and the game had the suffix “the Dark City”, after the 1998 film.

I later took over running that game, and each year I would run a summer game in the same global setting, but somewhere other than the town we lived in.
    Hence “the Sands of Time” – where the PCs were all Tremere, Giovanni or Setites trying to deal with a bane mummy as the main antagonist, whilst in-fighting as factions; or “the Bloody Accord” – where the PCs were again from three factions – this time Sabbat, Camarilla, and Giovanni – having agreed to an accord to deal with a supernatural smog that was affecting Scotland; “the Eye of the Storm” was set in Jerusalem, where conflict amongst the local Cainites had suddenly and surprisingly ceased after a song was released that some recognised from ancient times; “Fire and Zeal” was set in north Africa, around Tunis and the remains of Carthage, and saw the beginnings of Gehenna.

I’m currently running a tabletop game for a nomadic Sabbat pack in Glasgow – called “the Second City, the Sixth Sin”. Glasgow was once known as the “Second City of Empire” – but there also connotations of the Cainite second city. The Sixth Sin refers to the seven deadly sins, but I have players on here so I won’t go further.

I’m also playing in a DAV game called “Dark Earth, Dark Covenant”, where there is some Lhiannan/infernal goings on in Scotland, boundried by Hadrian’s Wall – and evidence that Cybele has salted the earth to keep whatever the Lhiannan ‘spirit’ is, locked away.

As for your game, my first thoughts involve the mirror of the conflict between China and the UK, and the Cathayans and the Camarilla. So I would go with something like “A/The Pearl between Crowns” – without knowing more about the underlying plot.

Comment

Drac and Carmilla's Bogus Journey

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure on the plot details yet myself. I imagine most of that politics will centre around control of the opium trade, and attempts to avoid but investigate the Cathayans. Possibly focusing on Kowloon as a culmination, which would drive the British expansion into the New Territories in 1898.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Working...
        X