Who holds a domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who holds a domain?

Are domains held by an individual or a coterie? If the former, would a coterie have contiguous domains, or could they have domains scattered all over a city? Would the most part of a city be divided up into domains, or only a select few important hunting/strategical areas? Would all vampires have domains, or only those of high status? How do a newcomer to a city get assigned a domain, and by who? Do the prince and his council claim domains of their own? I realize all this might vary, I'm just looking for ideas as to how the domain makeup should look like on the map in my Mexico City campaign.

Originally posted by Natsymir View Post
    Are domains held by an individual or a coterie? If the former, would a coterie have contiguous domains, or could they have domains scattered all over a city? Would the most part of a city be divided up into domains, or only a select few important hunting/strategical areas? Would all vampires have domains, or only those of high status? How do a newcomer to a city get assigned a domain, and by who? Do the prince and his council claim domains of their own? I realize all this might vary, I'm just looking for ideas as to how the domain makeup should look like on the map in my Mexico City campaign.
    My general take on the subject is a Domain is this:

Who holds what domain is actually 90% of what the Camarilla and Prince does despite the fact that the Masquerade and Blood Hunts are what it is famous for. Vampires are very territorial creatures and determining who can feed what, where, and how is pretty much the source of most night-to-night conflict. Territory is rewarded by the Prince and the Primogen in exchange for service or loyalty. It can be shared by a coterie or awarded to an individual vampire who then shares it with his associates at his leisure.

Examples:

1. In LA by Night, Isaac Abrams awards Griffith College to the coterie in exchange for their service to him. All of them can feed there and it's large enough that they don't run into any issues. However, their first adventure is discovering that there's a poacher on their territory (Annabelle) that is feeding on the students and making things hard on them.

2. Horatio Ballard may have "All employees of Ballard Industry" as his territory so no one should feed in his corporate offices or on his employees. However, if a middle manager goes to a strip club owned by Brett Stryker for a night and gets fed on then it's probably not going to be a problem. Ballard could bring it up but Stryker may reasonably say he's not asking where they work.

3. Prior to V5 I didn't bother with Domain but now I very much determine it. Basically, my view is if you're part of the Camarilla then you're probably going to have something that's "Yours" even if it's a shitty piece of domain like a gas station, a strip mall, or a particularly sorority. If you have the Herd background you can and probably should have that entered into the Camarilla rolls as "yours" so no one else kills them.

One character of mine had the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, crowds during game day, and their cheerleaders as his domain as a reward for solving the murder of an important Elder. It was a reward that really pissed off a lot of his fellow vampires since the games were well loved as feeding places for the Anarchs.

4. There's always a "Free feeding Zone" in the city for Anarchs, Thin Bloods, and so on because you don't want those guys to have nowhere to go oddly enough. Because if they can't feed SOMEWHERE, they will feed in your backyard. This is ususlly the Rack.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-12-2020, 10:53 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
      3. Prior to V5 I didn't bother with Domain but now I very much determine it. Basically, my view is if you're part of the Camarilla then you're probably going to have something that's "Yours" even if it's a shitty piece of domain like a gas station, a strip mall, or a particularly sorority.
      Indeed, it's entirely possible that a Prince may assign a vampire a particular Domain, simply to make sure someone controls it. Depending on what the Domain is, it might be more trouble than it's worth to the vampire assigned to it, but it would be more trouble for the city (or the Prince) for it to lie fallow. So the vampire is stuck with it, obligated to make sure it continues to function correctly, and being responsible for any Masquerade violations or other problems that might arise there.

Of course, if the Prince is really clever, they'll offer said Domain as reward for the vampire doing a different task, counting on them not realizing that their "prize" is more of a liability or imposition. The Prince gets to offload the Domain onto the poor shmuck and get an errand performed in the process.

4. There's always a "Free feeding Zone" in the city for Anarchs, Thin Bloods, and so on because you don't want those guys to have nowhere to go oddly enough. Because if they can't feed SOMEWHERE, they will feed in your backyard. This is ususlly the Rack.
      I began to say "this would depend on how much a city cracks down on Thin Bloods and the like". But then I realized that any city where that kind of attitude prevails would be one where the Scourge is kept busy culling them. They wouldn't bother wondering where the "trash" feeds, because they're persona non vitae either way.

On the other hand, keeping a "free zone" open creates an opportunity to force Anarchs, Thin Bloods et al. to maintain the Masquerade and settle other official Camarilla business. The Domain being a "free zone" is made conditional on the space being well kept (at least as far as vampires are concerned). If Masquerade violations get out of hand or the location becomes a hive of Sabbat activity, for instance, that freedom can be revoked. A fact which negatively impacts anyone who depends on the Domain for sustenance. (Any Kindred of real importance has their own Domain, so they suffer nothing if this happens). The collective have a vested interest in keeping the Domain in line, and to turn against any individual that causes the collective too much trouble. It's vampire society replicated on a Domain level, including being orchestrated from the top down by vampires older and more powerful.

Plus, a collectively controlled Domain will regulate its own population. If there are too many vampires there, they'll simply have to get rid of a few. Populations stay low, newcomers are discouraged, parties within are kept at each other's throats, and anyone wanting to escape must make a deal with those in power for their own private Domain. Everything elders love.

Comment

The funny thing is during 2020, "bad" domains will suddenly go up in value considerably:

* Grocery stores
        * Gas stations
        * Rest Stops
        * Fast Food Joints

A lot of places that aren't prime real estate are suddenly the best kind of place to feed. I'm just imagining four vampires at a truck stop, sighing, and hanging out because they all need to feed.

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
        I began to say "this would depend on how much a city cracks down on Thin Bloods and the like". But then I realized that any city where that kind of attitude prevails would be one where the Scourge is kept busy culling them. They wouldn't bother wondering where the "trash" feeds, because they're persona non vitae either way.

On the other hand, keeping a "free zone" open creates an opportunity to force Anarchs, Thin Bloods et al. to maintain the Masquerade and settle other official Camarilla business. The Domain being a "free zone" is made conditional on the space being well kept (at least as far as vampires are concerned). If Masquerade violations get out of hand or the location becomes a hive of Sabbat activity, for instance, that freedom can be revoked. A fact which negatively impacts anyone who depends on the Domain for sustenance. (Any Kindred of real importance has their own Domain, so they suffer nothing if this happens). The collective have a vested interest in keeping the Domain in line, and to turn against any individual that causes the collective too much trouble. It's vampire society replicated on a Domain level, including being orchestrated from the top down by vampires older and more powerful.

Plus, a collectively controlled Domain will regulate its own population. If there are too many vampires there, they'll simply have to get rid of a few. Populations stay low, newcomers are discouraged, parties within are kept at each other's throats, and anyone wanting to escape must make a deal with those in power for their own private Domain. Everything elders love.
        My take on the subject is that unless you're Mark Decker and have the kind of vampire muscle to fully annihilate all the Anarchs in your area then you're probably just going to want to keep them out of the nice places in your region and play them off against one another. They may not be members of the Camarilla anymore but they are a problem and having them be a separate "gang" in the city is probably the best you can pull off.

This seems to be the case in New York City where Prince Panhard and Callahan are controlling different parts of the city but she can and does eliminate any of his people who feed outside of his domain.

And Callahan is blood bound to her anyway.
        Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-22-2020, 03:24 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

It really depends on the city. In some cities the prince will give a newcommer some domain just to keep them put of trouble and to avoid pissing off anyone else. communal areas become a terrible idea with too few (i want that prime land) or too many kindred.
          giving out land can also be considered a favour.

The prince leases domain. people who have domain can sublet it to other kindred. a communal feeding ground may be for a primogen's clan or a baron's zone. a weak price may cede 'eldest' rights to such characters if they are strong.

Comment

What I mentioned is called an ANARCH FREE ZONE, btw:

Page 110 of THE CAMARILLA

Anarch Free Zones

The Camarilla presents a facade of zero tolerance to the Anarch Movement, but in truth the sect would rather have the Anarchs peaceable but at a distance than warring for control. In many city domains that recently held sizeable Anarch populations, our rulers designate parts of the city for Anarch use alone. We are forbidden from going there, but the free zones tend to be placed within the least hospitable parts of the city, and we wouldn’t be welcomed anyway.

The hope is, I think, that the next couple of decades will see the free zones abandoned as the rebels either give up and declare for our side or go elsewhere, where conditions are better.

Comment

A domain is held by an individual. That individual might have a coterie that assists him in managing that domain, but there will always be a leader. Vampires are territorial and feudal by nature. While a good leader will take into account the needs of his coterie members, there should be absolutely no doubt who the boss is.

Comment

Working...
              X