Playing as the second inquisition and why it could be a great game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing as the second inquisition and why it could be a great game

The idea of the second inquisition really fascinates me. I always wanted to see a game from their perspective. Not necessarily a game about agents on the ground, hunting vampires. I think game about investigators and researchers trying to understand what vampires are and the extent of their influence could be really rewarding.

If you played XCOM you might understand what Im talking about. Usually people play XCOM purely because of the game mechanics, myself included, but I also really love the lore and story progression. You're a very powerful organization, but clueless about this new alien threat. You have no idea how their society works, their technology, etc. You have to make autopsies, capture live specimens to study, make reverse engineering that takes months, etc.

I'd love to see it from the the second inquisition perspective, from their begginning to their development and eventually the planned large scale operation. There are so many setbacks that could happen during this game. Just to give a few examples:
    • They became aware that blood makes someone strong, so they start to test it on primates, and eventually on humans, unware about the blood bond. This can have dangerous outcomes
    • They don't know dominate and presense, and as consequence after they capture a vampire it manages to escape and steal info about the project. Almost everything is lost, but they manage to overcome this crisis and slowly need to comeup with plans to understand what such powers can do
    • They have no idea how much influence vampires do have, and the answer is a lot. The SE need to be secretive, this results in less freedom and budget than they wished to.
    There are many learning steps here. They need to learn about the clans, the politics, the disciplines, the lore. etc. There is a lot of challenges even for a powerful organization. Maybe the first contact they have is with the more social vampires, and they think they get it, and send their task force to capture one more test subject, but they will soon learmn what a gangrel is, and how just some heavy armored soldiers is not enough to capture one. They need to recruit hunters, but many hunters are distrustful of the government and also ignorant about a lot of aspect themselves. There is a lot of challenges to overcome.

I think it could be a really interesting game if each players was the chief of one aspect of the operation. Like one oversee the security and military, another is a scientific reasearcher, other is the top investigator, etc. it could be really interesting if the players need to spend points together into backgrounds to decide how much resources they have in each area.

Like a military force, research facility, clearance, contacts, security, etc

This could shape how the players want to tackle it. They need to be really secretive, they can totally have 10 military squadrons with planes and whatnot, but if they have all this, they can't also have a super secret lab miles beneath the desert where there is any and all sort of equipment to run tests. Or maybe they can have both, they will surely not have the security to protect it all and also dispath forces to capture vampires.

The objetive of the game could be to a set number of info that need to be gathered and learned. And they must do it before falling to one of the many setbacks that could happen, both before and after the vampires realize that they exist as a whole.

ever heard of...the Technocracy?

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
      ever heard of...the Technocracy?
      I was actually going to say, I suggest you read this awesome book Project: Twilight which has a lot of this.

It has a lot of what you're looking for.

I also did a WIR of it.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Rucun View Post
        The objetive of the game could be to a set number of info that need to be gathered and learned.
        This sounds like a good set up for a (mostly) human focused game.

Comment

It's called Night's Black Agents

You've been playing around the magic that is black
          But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

It would also be "Hunters Hunted II" from the V20 books, which updates some of the older books, Hunters Hunter, Project Twilight, The Inquisition, and The Arcanum. Possible a few others as well. It seems the groups covered in those books go on to be the foundation of the Second Inquisitions.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I was actually going to say, I suggest you read this awesome book Project: Twilight which has a lot of this.

It has a lot of what you're looking for.

I also did a WIR of it.

I thought it was reckoning book, that was I didn't try to read it before, because I ddin't want powers in this setup, but the books looks solid, I will check it out, thanks

Comment

I thought it was reckoning book, that was I didn't try to read it before, because I ddin't want powers in this setup, but the books looks solid, I will check it out, thanks
                Nah, this for mortal government agents like the NSA, SAD, and CIA.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...l-for-vampires

Here's my WIR.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Any word from Modiphius on the status of the book?

Comment

(When do we tell him that the SI is a vampire Elder ploy to cull the Neonate population? Can you imagine X-Com having a twist ending where the council of nations that gives you funding was actually some of the aliens you'd been fighting all along?)

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
                      (When do we tell him that the SI is a vampire Elder ploy to cull the Neonate population? Can you imagine X-Com having a twist ending where the council of nations that gives you funding was actually some of the aliens you'd been fighting all along?)
                      That was the case in THE FALL OF LONDON and it was admittedly a sign that Mithras is insane.

Don't arm the vampire hunters!
                      Last edited by CTPhipps; 10-17-2020, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Well, a chronicle where you and your teamates stomp archbloodmages in their own lair while making sassy remarks its cool and almost canon now, so finally the players will be controlling the real protags.

Comment

Is this like, a reference to xcom the bureau? lol

Comment

Is this like, a reference to xcom the bureau? lol
                            No that's the state of things.

Think about it. The senior figures in charge of huge alphabet organizations aren't mystery men but people you can reach and influence. They are going to be vampire friendly as a result (The usual corruption more than Dominate)
                            The hunters going after vampires in these organizations are lose canons doing it all in secret. And to stay successfully secret, you've got to stay small and isolate yourselves. So it'd be really weird if the secret FBI hunter group somehow got in touch with the secret CIA group, let alone another group from the same agency. and connecting with the society of Leopold? Those people are capital T Terrorists.

evidently, Vampires are the ones making things happen.

The Society of leopold (or technocracy) would make better X-com stories.
                            Last edited by MyWifeIsScary; 10-18-2020, 05:55 AM. Reason: Typing on a phone sure leaves a lot of errors.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.

Comment

No that's the state of things.

Think about it. The senior figures in charge of huge alphabet organizations aren't mystery men but people you can reach and influence. They are going to be vampire friendly as a result (The usual corruption more than Dominate)
                              The hunters going after vampires in these organozations are lose canons doing it all in secret. And to stay successfully secret, you've got to stay small and isoƶate yourselves. So it'd be really weird if the secret fbi hunter group somehow got in touch with the secret fbi group, let alone another group from the same agency. and connecting with the society of leopold? Those people are capital T Terrorists.

evidently, Vampires are the ones making things happen.

The Society of leopold (or technocracy) would mqke better X-com stories.
                              That's the attitude that resulted in the Second Inquisiton. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X