The Cults of the Blood Gods discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
    I thought the Witches of Echidna died off already?
    In Anarch, Agata Starek refers to "the Witches of Echidna, who demonstrate that a good cult never truly goes extinct", when describing groups within the Ministry. That could mean that they literally didn't die off or that they've been revived. I don't believe there's any indication that the modern Witches of Echidna are any closer to the Church of Set than any other Minstry cult. The CotBG draft described one Order of Taweret, which was founded a Bahari witch who took refuge with the Followers of Set. They seem to have taken the witches' niche, if any one group, has and serve as a gateway for Bahari into the Church of Set. For matter, Bahari themselves claim to be able to subvert Setites to their way of thinking elsewhere in the book.
    There's discussion between a Setite priest and a Taweret witch and I think the gist of it was that priests maintain the integrity of the Church, and witches stop it from stagnating. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but the Church of Set is presented as a cult of chaos and orthodoxy in such a cult is at least a little paradoxical.

Comment

It's a shame that one of the better books in the V5 line was so incredibly hampered by the rule development decisions early on in V5.

I love Onyx Path, but this book is essentially just a lore book that requires I sub in V20 and V20DA rules for anything to make sense.

My fear is that Paradox has realized the mistake of combining Necromancy and Obtenebration, and have begun to step away from that design philosophy. This isn't a bad thing, but I hate the idea of the Onyx Path books being retconned when Paradox puts out updated versions of the various disciplines.

Forcing Onyx Path to use the broken mechanics of the initial V5 release and then backing away from them makes me rather annoyed at Paradox.

Gogo Baccala

Drag Queen, Ex-Attorney, Freelance Deity

Comment

Originally posted by Gogobaccala View Post
        It's a shame that one of the better books in the V5 line was so incredibly hampered by the rule development decisions early on in V5.

I love Onyx Path, but this book is essentially just a lore book that requires I sub in V20 and V20DA rules for anything to make sense.

My fear is that Paradox has realized the mistake of combining Necromancy and Obtenebration, and have begun to step away from that design philosophy. This isn't a bad thing, but I hate the idea of the Onyx Path books being retconned when Paradox puts out updated versions of the various disciplines.

Forcing Onyx Path to use the broken mechanics of the initial V5 release and then backing away from them makes me rather annoyed at Paradox.
        If you have any commentary other than, "V5 sucks" then by all means stay but otherwise leave the thread and don't return. Threadcrapping and edition warring are not welcome on these forums.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Guys, can someone tell what happened to Constancia in the book?
          Last edited by trueann; 11-19-2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I run two V5 games. I playtested it and ran it for White Wolf at the Gen Con 2018 release. I have criticisms of the design decisions, as well as Paradox's handling of the licensing, but I'm not saying the game sucks. I understand if you're a little defensive, but I'm not here to attack V5.
            Last edited by Gogobaccala; 11-19-2020, 02:13 PM.

Gogo Baccala

Comment

Originally posted by trueann View Post
              Guys, can someone tell what happened to Constancia in the book?
              It turns out the Harbingers of Skulls can, no shit, resurrect the dead with the right artifacts.

However, it turns out it's more Pet Semetary than D&D.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

It turns out the Harbingers of Skulls can, no shit, resurrect the dead with the right artifacts.

However, it turns out it's more Pet Semetary than D&D.

Thank you for answering. Wiki says that her soul is in the mortal body now and she is barely more than a strong zombie. It is interesting if she can be fully resurrected.
                Last edited by trueann; 11-19-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trueann View Post
                  Thank you for answering. Wiki says that her soul is in the mortal body now and she is barely more than strong zombie. It is interesting if she can be fully resurrected.
                  Unfortunately, the game gives no option for her to survive and she is the Final Boss of the Chronicle.

I run two V5 games. I playtested it and ran it for White Wolf at the Gen Con 2018 release. I have criticisms of the design decisions, as well as Paradox's handling of the licensing, but I'm not saying the game sucks. I understand if you're a little defensive, but I'm not here to attack V5.
                  Take note, this is not a place where you can debate moderator decisions or warnings.

Comment

"Unfortunately, the game gives no option for her to survive and she is the Final Boss of the Chronicle."
                    So, it turned out, that theory about Constancia and Unre being the same character is wrong for V5.

Comment

Oh wait so the WoE aren't even in the Blood Cults book? I am sorry for continuing that tangent then.

At least the backer version is out now, although as no backer I'll just go back to reading the thread.

Comment

Take note, this is not a place where you can debate moderator decisions or warnings.
                        That's a really weird way to apologize.

Gogo Baccala

Comment

That's a really weird way to apologize.
                          Don't post in this thread again.

Comment

Unfortunately, the game gives no option for her to survive and she is the Final Boss of the Chronicle.
                            Yeah, that's one of things about that Chronicle I don't like. Constancia, or possibly the pretending to be Constancia, could have been an interesting an NPC. Admittedly, I did like Constancia so seeing her reduced to a mad risen that serves as nothing more than a Final Boss is a bit annoying.

Though I do have some ideas about changing things up and adding it to a potential Chicago chronicle where it gets revealed that the one actually resurrected was an old favorite of mine, Dennis 'the Carpenter' Maxwell and the possibility of keeping them alive rather than forcing them to be killed.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post

Yeah, that's one of things about that Chronicle I don't like. Constancia, or possibly the pretending to be Constancia, could have been an interesting an NPC. Admittedly, I did like Constancia so seeing her reduced to a mad risen that serves as nothing more than a Final Boss is a bit annoying.

Though I do have some ideas about changing things up and adding it to a potential Chicago chronicle where it gets revealed that the one actually resurrected was an old favorite of mine, Dennis 'the Carpenter' Maxwell and the possibility of keeping them alive rather than forcing them to be killed.
                              I agree, it seems like a waste of a good character. I also think that introducing the idea that RESURRECTION is possible in the World of Darkness is something that potentially rings a bell that you don't want rung, however badly this particular example went,

Comment

So anyone have a favorite cult and least favorite cult?

Why?

Areas they loved? Areas that could have been improved?

Comment

Working...
                                X