No announcement yet.

Tzimisce, Metamorphosis, and Blood Magic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you've noted, "indulging the Beast" is obviously a problem for Humanity, but you're also ignoring a lot of what is insinuated by "Do not divorce yourself from the world... but do not allow yourself to be dragged down by its entanglements." It's pretty vague, but generally what's included in that are finnicky little things like "human rights" and "being attached more to this person than all the interesting stuff you can learn by vivisecting them."

I've generally considered two "variants" to the "orthodox" Road of Metamorphosis:

One is the more "rationalist" approach that takes Conviction, but not Instinct, and takes a lot from the Road of Bones/Path of Death and the Soul. Just focused more specifically on using all that knowledge for personal Metamorphosis; basically Sascha Vykos.

The other is the more "humanist" approach that I discussed above. Rather than seeing Vampirism as an inherently superior condition, and Humanity something to be left behind, you instead view a synthesis of the best qualities of both as the Path to Metamorphosis. In an earlier post I mentioned using Vicissitude to hide among Humanity; not due to fear, but scientific curiosity, wanting to observe the subject (humanity) without disturbing it, "in its natural environment." Or, taken a bit further, an interest in living the "human experience" as much as possible for a Vampire, for the purpose of expanding awareness and understanding. It was kinda inspired by this line from SWTOR, tbh, where the evil Emperor pursuing immortality (body-swap style) is asked what they could possibly want with it, and they respond that they'll just try every conceivable career or lifestyle, every possible experience. I found it interesting, and not just from a villainous perspective.

Comment

Interesting perspective. My take on that last Ethic was something like the Buddhist concept of attachment leading to suffering and the Christian one about being in the world, but not part of it.

Another possible outlook could be a Harmonist approach. Under that Path, it mentions that as they progress, they come to understand their role is more like a parasite. I could see a Metamorphosist thinking, 'how do I transcend my parasitic state?'

What is great about Metamorphosis is there is no single right answer.

Comment

There is definitely an element of that Buddhist take there, I agree But you have to consider the parts in relation to one another, not just in isolation. And you need to consider the concepts and ethics of Buddhism that aren't present, as well. Mainstream Metamorphosis is a supremely egoistic endeavour, a belief that the Self exists and that it can become separate and superior to the Other Lesser Things. Buddhism believes in transcendence, but it also commonly believes that the Self is one of those illusions to transcend, which makes Metamorphosist acts that inflict suffering on Others for the sake of the Self to be an example of falling into the trap of attachment to this world.

A Harmonist approach to Metamorphosis could definitely make for an interested hermit-mystic type character And I agree that the variety of ways to approach Azhi Dahaka is one of the most interesting parts of the Path

Comment

Working...
        X