Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let the Streets Run Red discussion thread (Now Available!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    CTPhipps this is great!! Super busy with rl stuff but can’t wait to read my copy.
    Looking forward to your thoughts!

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

So, the book confirm regular werewolfs claws cause superficial damage in 5verse. >_>

Comment

Originally posted by blailton View Post
        So, the book confirm regular werewolfs claws cause superficial damage in 5verse. >_>
        I don't remember a werewolf in the book.

There's a gimp with a battle ax!

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Werewolves are all over the place in the Milwaukee section, and the Streets Werewolves are much weaker than the Werewolves in the Corebook.

Comment

Originally posted by DifferentJustin View Post
            Werewolves are all over the place in the Milwaukee section, and the Streets Werewolves are much weaker than the Werewolves in the Corebook.
            Ah, yes, I didn't have any werewolves attack in my version. They're background noise.

But thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Power Prey thoughts

1. Power Prey is an excellent low-level superhero story, which is an interesting way to frame the story because it does feel like its Superhero Horror to an extent. This is a weird term I know but it is meant with great affection since I LOVE superheroes. This is about halfway between Batman and Saw which I think is what makes it actually an effective story. You have the supervillain (Redwood), you have his house of death traps, you have the hostages that he's taken, you have the threat to the superheroes' secret identity, and the extra players in the story who could shake things up.

2. I absolutely love the character of Walter Nash. I think he's just the right amount of sleaze, intelligence, power, and prestige to make a fantastic villain for the players. Too many villains are just evil when the best have some admirable qualities or are people that would be fun to talk to. It's why Modius, Lodin, and Juggler are immortal. I unironically think Sir Walter Nash should be the new Prince of Chicago or a candidate just because he's so irredeemably hateable. No slight on Kevin Jackson.

Easily the best character in this book.

3. Despite this, Walter Nash could be removed from this story without affecting a goddamn thing, which is a shame. Really, he has nothing to do with this despite the fact that he killed Redwood's daughter. Really, it could have been any Kindred who fed JUST ENOUGH to keep a vessel alive and assumed, "Oh, they'll be fine." Really, this is probably something that happens to a lot of Kindred and they just don't know it.

I think the story would benefit from making Walter actually more on top of this than it seems. Maybe having him Dominate Redwood or manipulate him behind the scenes after the first FAILED attempt at blackmail. Or maybe Walter wants the PCs to take out Redwood but has the plan to seize Redwood's files afterward to use them to become powerful enough to get back into Chicago's Harpies. Either way, I feel a confrontation at the end of the Chronicle with Walter is a necessity.

4. The battle-ax wielding gimp is totally unnecessary but still hilarious. I also like that he's Walter's battle ax wielding gimp and you can just look at the guy and go, "Yeah, you know, it doesn't make sense for Redwood but I buy it from Walter."

5. Some random continuity bits, I would add "Sir" to Walter Nash's titles because it was on the original Jyhad Card. I would also make it clear that it's wholly an affection or something Lodin gave him that is utterly meaningless but makes him feel like he can hang with the old school Ventrue better. I would also actually make his status as "Prince of Chicago" something that has SOME merit but not in any meaningful way.

Imagine, for instance, that Lodin had to make international trips to London or other cities on Camarilla business. Now, normally, he would leave things in the command of Neally but Lodin has one consistent trait through every edition and that is he is an enormous asshole. So Lodin had a habit of appointing Walter Nash as Regent while he was gone. Walter believes this is because Lodin saw him as an heir apparent and right hand man. When, in actuality, it is because Lodin knew that Ballard or Capone might seize power while others might think Neally COULD replace Lodin without incident. So, he chose the biggest asshole in the Ventrue Clan that NO ONE would want as Prince.

(Lodin considered Jacob Schumpeter for the same role but realized that Jacob would probably get himself killed with his rampant misogyny against the wrong Elder while Walter would just piss people off).

6. The Night's Cross was introduced in The Chicago Folio and I really liked them as a kind of WASP Midwestern version of the Inquisition. I made my version a lot more racist and awful because, why not, and think they add a good deal to this story. I would think the willingness of Redwood to abuse collateral damage could be used to actually have the PCs talk it out with them, though.

But yes, I hope these guys continue to show up in future supplements.

7. I've already talked with multiple people and it seems if this book has one weakness, it's the fact people were confused by the Touchstones section where they thought, "Oh, I have to have one of my players have something like this? None of the players have someone like this!" I'm like, "No, no, this is a bit confusing and could have been using for someone else. No, just use any mortal the players are fond of or just invent one if they have High Humanity. Oh my God, Cindy your favorite vessel or Mandy the waitress at the Succubus Club is missing!" I also had the chopped up remains of an acquaintance of the PCs delivered in a cooler.

Why? Not because the PCs will 100% "care" but because it's to illustrate Redwood is evil and doesn't care about hurting regular humans. The various scenarios around Touchstones should be more clearly curated as being flexible to the campaign even if I like all the ideas. YMMV.

8. I like the fact that Redwood has set up his mansion as basically the Riddler's hideout or Jigsaw's. He's got this whole plan of the PCs coming through his mansion slowly while he taunts them, uses deathtraps, and psychologically abuses them. You can totally run it that way and it would be a fun game.

HOWEVER, I *LOVE* that the Chronicle also says that Redwood's plan is stupid as fuck and the PCs can easily derail it in any number of ways. If the PCs have Obfuscate, he's utterly fucked. If the player characters just climb up the side of the building, he's utterly fucked. They can actually CALL THE COPS and while this isn't a great idea, if they have a cellphone jammer or cut the power to his place then he's utterly fucked and they can just grab his blackmail material.

Redwood has leverage in one of the PC's touchstones but he hasn't thought about the fact that if any harm comes to them then they have NO REASON not to just break his neck.

9. I make the company that Redwood works for a subsidiary of Pentex. Small bit there.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 11-22-2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

The Dying Fields

1. I am considering doing a "Where I Read" of this book but I think I should maybe delay that for a few months until everyone has had a chance to read it.

2. As stated by Matthew Dawkins, this is an homage to Children of the Corn, the Wicker Man, and other, "Rural Horror" stories where you drive up to some isolated place and discover some sinister cult or hillbilly horror. It's as old as, at least The Shadow over Innsmouth and I note was the subject of the exceptionally good Resident Evil 4 even if that game didn't have Claire Redfield or Jill Valentine.

3. The Dying Fields takes place in a tiny town outside of Chicago and is, mostly, believable as a "normal" but insular community that the players won't automatically assume is filled with the Sawyer family of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. They are prone to killing people with a human sacrifice but they give the argument that they're "outsiders" so they don't count.

4. I really like the conceit that the player characters are stuck in the town as long as a single supernatural being is unwilling to leave the place. It means that the player characters have to either use their words to get the local Anarchs and Camarilla to leave with them or kill everyone in town but themselves.

5. I was a big fan of the Goblin Roads as introduced in Beckett's Jyhad Diary. I was afraid a lot of those plots would be dropped with the advent of 5th Edition. Instead, Matthew Dawkins has done a fantastic job of re-incorporating the stuff introduced there into the main canon to be followed up on. Maybe the Goblin Roads are artificial and exist PURELY to contain this creature.

Eh? Maybe?

6. What is the god of Willerton? Is it a Drowned Methuselah? Is it a Mega-Bane that the Uktena bound? Is it a Earthbound like Kupala? Is it the Tzimisce Antedeluvian? That would be an interesting story by itself. Is it just an old as dirt Kindred being kept there through some other fashion? The book never clarifies and I kind of wish they'd given more hints. However, no one knows and that's terrifying by itself.

Some suggestions on my end:

* Khalid: The Nosferatu ancient was captured by Dusable and Erichtho when he became feral and close to wightdom.
                * Menele: For maximum irony's sake.
                * Mictlantecuhtli from Diablerie: Mexico. He awoke, killed the Anarchs planning to eat him, and came north to explore Chicago only to get captured by local Dreamspeakers.
                * Lucian: He's 2000 years old and a Gangrel so that ONE time he rested in the wrong soil.
                * A very pissed off Native American vampire.
                * No one. The god is a product of the mind of a deranged hippie.

One thing I like is the idea the god isn't necessarily a god or a worldbeater (Micltantechuhtli or Menele aside) but is just a vampire that can reach out vaguely with his mind.

7. I love that the leader of the biker gang that is located in Willerton is a Indian American instagram celebrity, which is far from your typical Anarch stereotype.

8. Points that the villain is a ghoul and a hippie, not a vampire.

Comment

Working...
                X