Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let the Streets Run Red discussion thread (Now Available!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the Streets Run Red discussion thread (Now Available!)

Hey folks,

Onyx Path publishing has stated that LET THE STREETS RUN RED is going on for sale this Wednesday! As such, I felt it was time to close the old thread that was made in anticipation of its release and build a new one for those who want to discuss this new and exciting product.

Note that this thread is open to spoilers since it's now released so if you want to be surprised, read the book first.

Source: http://theonyxpath.com/auto-gratifyi...meeting-notes/

This Wednesday Let the Streets Run Red for Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition with PDF and PoD versions available on DTRPG!

Politics. Philosophy. War. Brinkmanship. They make a vampire think, feel, and fight for something, whether it be tangible or ethereal. These things give a Kindred meaning.

Whether letting the Beast rage in the gun-happy South Side of Chicago, chasing prey around the Loop, plotting out in Gary, or fleeing the Inquisition into the murky swamps of rural Illinois, Chicago always gives a Kindred an activity or two to fill up their nights.

The one certainty is that blood will flow. It will flow, and the streets will turn red by the dawn.

Let the Streets Run Red includes:
    • Four full stories for play over multiple game sessions, each handling a different core theme from Vampire: The Masquerade. These chronicles can be played independently of each other or in sequence.
    • Deep coverage of the vampire domains of Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, and Gary and some of those cities’ undead inhabitants.
    • A cast of Kindred with biographies, ambitions, intrigues, links to other characters, and ways to include them in any chronicle, whether as antagonists, a supporting cast, or inspiration for playable characters.
    • New Loresheets for inclusion in your game, allowing player characters to start with a foot, claw, or fang already planted in the roots of the chronicles within this book, and beyond.
    • Nine ready-made characters so you can start playing any of the chronicles in this book immediately.

Notable Posts

Milwaukee by Night notes by Different Justin
    My review of Let the Streets Run Red
    My "Power Prey" experience
    Chronicle 1: Power Prey thoughts
    Chronicle 2: The Dying Fields thoughts
    Integrating Let the Streets Run Red's chronicles
    Chronicle 3: Innocence in Blood thoughts
    Chronicle 4: Rusted Jungle thoughts part 1
    Chronicle 4 Rusted Jungle thoughts part 2
    Chronicle 4: Rusted Jungle thoughts part 3
    Let the Streets Run Red (25 years of Vampire: The Masquerade)
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-06-2020, 07:57 PM.

• Penelope
    replied
    Love the Loresheets!

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    New Loresheet: Arthur Caldwell

Arthur has only been a vampire for about ten years and his influence is still very limited but he has some interesting habits as well as knowledge that comes from his unique position. He is a man who already believed in the occult before his transformation and his strange mindset means he can often pull bizarre but right conclusions from chaos.
    ----

* Community of Nerds: Arthur is well-knonw in the Midwestern geek community to the point that mentioning his name is likely to put anyone to ease at virtually every gameshop, convention, cosplay show, or LARP. The difficulty of hunting there is reduced to 2.

** Better than a Bare Bulb: You have gained the aid of Arthur Caldwell who is willing to share his knowledge of Kindred society, the Anarchs, and Black Dog game trivia that is about as accurate as most occult books. You also get a discount of 20% off used books at the Black Cauldron. He is capable of serving as a two point Malwa.

*** I'm with the Fat Man: Arthur may not actually realize it but he is Baron Evelyn Stephen (and formerly Juggler's) Emissary. Carrying messages between the Anarchs is actually a very prestigious position and he earned his wings helping Allicia take down Gary's Prince. The lowest Prince in America but still a Prince. As such, Arthur can arrange a meeting once per Chronicle with any Midwestern Anarch leader or gather a group of them.

**** The Power of Love: Arthur's dedication to Allicia has supplemented his questionable willpower and he's learned to focus that devotion. His pure optimism on the subject has shown you a simple truth about Kindred existence others have ignored. When being forced by mind control or frenzy to go against someone you strongly care about (not necessarily your Touchstone), you can resist with three extra dice that stack with any willpower spent.

***** Dungeons and Demons: Arthur actually has learned a couple of supernatural rites from his Black Dog game books. This has been supplemented by occult knowledge he doesn't understand but can still use derived from the Church of Cain in Jollet. This requires at least 4 participants, a ST's screen, four hours, and candles. Once per chronicle, you can summon a spirit that is willing to answer one question about the local area or personas. ST's discretion if the spirit knows or can learn the answers the player desires. Werewolves become even more hostile in your presence, though, for the rest of the Chronicle. They also become capable of smelling your presence with an Awareness check (diff Humanity).
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-09-2020, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    New Loresheet: Allicia

The devastatingly beautiful siren of Gary, Indiana has always been a big fish in a very small pond. She's since started to move beyond that since emerging from Modius' shadow. Player characters who know her still find her mysterious and entrancing but have also come to appreciate her other qualities like her naked ambition to be more.
    ----

* Mysterious yet Sexy: Allicia knows how to charm mortals and any attempt to feed via seduction has its difficulty reduced by one. She can do more with a look or smile than many Kindred through hours of conversation.

** Seen but Not Heard: Allicia has immense practice in being able to become invisible during conversations. She's imparted on you some of her skill in being unobtrusive during social situations. Any attempt to compel other people to talk around you or ignore you is reduced by 1.

*** Allicia's Favorite: Allicia and you are either lovers, friends, or close confidants. As such, she will serve as a three dot Malwa. Her influence is limited to the Anarchs, music scene, Torch locations, and local businesses but is growing and may become a 4 dot Malwa soon. It is likely to be a two way street, though.

**** The Power of Hate: Allicia has learned things about resisting the Blood Bond that most Kindred could not imagine and this can be passed down, though usually through tough training. If you have shared her blood and training you can add three extra dice once per storyline to resisting the command of another Kindred. This can also be added to a Willpower expenditure.

***** The Torch: Using the money of her newest lover, Allicia has franchised the Torch into a successful upscale strip club line throughout the Upper Midwest. They are significantly classier than many flesh joints to the point they're almost (but not quite) respectable. You run or have influence over one with four dots to spend on Haven, Herd, Resources, or Chasse. Allicia notably has dedicated the building of the business to a dead friend and lover of hers named Sophia Ayes.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-09-2020, 09:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Brilliant, thoughts Penelope, and thank you for taking the time to share them! They do match my thoughts on most and add their own.

Allicia's daughter is a neat little twist there too.

And Robert Warrington is a hoot.

I wonder if Arthur would qualify for the True Love merit. It would be an interesting twist if Maxwell or Allicia thought he was under supernatural control but actually a much more mundane kind of it.

Kind of funny the worst thing to happen for Gary's Anarchs would be Juggler returning because Evelyn remains loyal to him.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    I reread Rusted Jungle and the Kindred Biographies section of Let The Streets Run Red after work today.

I really don’t have any thoughts on the actual adventure that CTPhipps didn’t say more eloquently. If I ran Rusted Jungle for the people I game with they would probably start as Camarilla neonates infiltrating the Anarchs, but they would have the chance to switch sides for real as the story goes on. I love that they brought back Sullivan Dane. In my version he’s a history professor at George Washington now (I picked GW instead of Georgetown cause my friend goes there), but he still has ties to Gary and is watching closely to see how things shake out in the aftermath of Maxwell’s attempted praxis seizure.

Characters I really like: Evelyn Stephens (a party girl who found her purpose in unlife), Arthur Caldwell (kind of cool in a geeky way and in love with Allicia), Allicia (I love her mortal Thralls and Ties, especially her adopted daughter), Honor Mercer (yeah she’s almost definitely a lesbian, at least that’s what the subtext implies), Robert Warrington (imagine sliding into his DMs lol)

Characters I don’t like: Walter Nash (for reasons I said in my post above)

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Penelope; 12-08-2020, 07:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    CTPhipps thank you 😊. Imma post my thoughts on Rusted Jungle tonight if I don’t have to work super late.
    That would be awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    CTPhipps thank you 😊. Imma post my thoughts on Rusted Jungle tonight if I don’t have to work super late.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    CTPhipps I really Liked your analysis of Rusted Jungle. It echoed a lot of my own thoughts.
    Ooo, any in particular?

I'd very much love to hear them.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    CTPhipps I really Liked your analysis of Rusted Jungle. It echoed a lot of my own thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    I'm really looking forward to everyone else's reviews when they get done.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Rusted Jungle part 2

1. I like the idea of Rusted Jungle in that it is Maxwell thinking he's luring the Anarchs into a clever trap by having them framed for a massive attack on Chicago so they can be wiped out. However, the plan utterly fails because when he plants a car full of explosives and guns, Arthur Caldwell just loots it. That's the kind of Dungeons and Dragons esque thinking that an Elder really can't prepare for.

2. I liked the nods toward the Gencon adventure Rusted Veins that included a bunch of characters that were really well-designed. They were referenced a few times in this book but also The Sacrifice chronicle as the "Anarchs" that Son recruited. They can end up joining Sharpe or Evelyn's faction because, at the end of the day, most Kindred only care about what politics benefits them perfectly.

3. I like that Arthur Caldwell is bribable but the irony is that going after the puny RPG store owner with Intimidation or physical threats is the WORST tactic you can choose to get his cooperation. The fat vampire who runs LARPs in his spare time is likely to want to take you all on with his baseball bat and guns because a lifetime of bullying has made him PISSED OFF.

4. I like that there's no actual PHYSICAL threat to just going to the local Homicide Detective's house and getting on her computer to steal all her files on the Kindred. No, the problem is there's a little girl and her babysitter there. If your players aren't the type to sweat that, that's on them but I find that actually a more interesting threat than most. A lot of players won't want to harm or threaten true innocents.

5. In the end, the players should probably speak to both Sharpe and Evelyn in order to get a sense of who to side with in this Royal RumbleTM. There's no actual option to prevent the battle at the end and that's a shame. I would have provided a way for the players to track down Maxwell in the middle of the story as that would allow a more interesting set of possibilities. For instance, if Maxwell said to Evelyn, "I want to kill Kevin Jackson and his goons." Then he probably could recruit the Anarchs as his allies rather than enemies.

I like that kind of twist.

6. Basically, the climax is the unavoidable Royal Rumble between Evelyn and Sharpe's troops but that's actually the least interesting part of the story. I mean, you could do some dramatic bits like Arthur trying to save Allicia at Evelyn's expense (or both) but it's really just an action scene where they both show up to kill each other. I feel like there should be a chance to have the players influence things before they come to blows even in a city as violent as Gary.

7. I do think that the confrontation with Maxwell is missing something, though, too. Basically, if the PCs decide to reject Maxwell's offer then they're inside his boat with his army of henchman and he is a VERY powerful Elder even if it's V5. The only trick I can see them pulling is ripping the stakes out of Juggler and Modius to have them try to drain Maxwell as their opening meal. I figure both of them are likely to spend willpower to go after him. Still, that seems like an obvious move.

Ways to Spruce Up Final Confrontation

* If the Anarchs win: They will accompany the PCs to attack the place and kill Maxwell if they want.
    * If Sharpe wins: Sharpe may actually decide to off Maxwell and be Prince of Gary. It's against his characterization but better to reign in the Rustbelt than serve in the Windy City.
    * You could also have Sharpe surrender to the Anarchs if his side is losing and sell out Maxwell because all's fair in love and vampiredom.
    * Evelyn Stephens might call her brother and the Second Inquisition down on Maxwell if the PCs inform her of his presence. This is exactly the worst thing to do as we see with Modius but might make things easier for the PCs.
    * Sullivan Dane may show up with a sniper rifle and actually blow a massive hole in Maxwell during the battle, especially if the PCs are losing.
    * You could also not have a Royal Rumble and the PCs find Maxwell's base which is defended by Sharpe's people so it's the YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE assault on the enemy climax.

8. Again, very happy Sullivan Dane is alive.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-06-2020, 01:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Rusted Jungle part 1

1. I have an excessive love of Gary, Indiana and that's something that repeatedly came out during the intiial Kickstarter. I'm very glad that the people behind Let the Streets Run Red indulged me even though I'm sure I annoyed the hell out of them toward the end.

2. I like the depiction of Gary inside the book, which is the idea that it is the frontline battlefield for violent confrontations with the Camarilla and Anarchs in Chicago's area. It gives a reason to game in Gary because it's a place that has a different sort of playstyle than the rest of the area. Violence is how things are expressed among the vampires here and the local authorities are aware of the undead enough to arm themselves. You don't want to go shooting up your enemies in Chicago (which is ironic given Chicago's own history of violence) but that's a thing they do in Gary. Indeed, this entire Chronicle is about definitively ENDING the war in Gary.

3. Part of the black comedy of it is the question of whether the people of Gary are worth fighting over as a territory. Certainly, they deserve better than to be the subject of a war between two mid-tier vampires who aren't strong enough to be Prince or Baron anywhere else. I really wish we'd gotten a full-write up of Gregory Stephens as him serving as Commissioner Gordon of the place is a great idea.

4. The history of Gary gives us an update on the various Kindred of the original Forged in Steel chronicle.

* Modius finally lost his Princedom due to the ultimate treason of helping hunters against his own kind. I mean, that is the ONE line that you can't cross.
    * Allicia and her Malkavian lover, Arthur, overthrew Modius and turned him over to Juggler.
    * Juggler disappeared due to the fact that Maxwell is secretly behind the scenes. He's taking out Gary's power players just so he has a base of operations to assault Chicago.
    * Lucien is Beckoned and has met a "horrible fate" that may or may not be related. Given he was a 2000 year old 8th generation Gangrel, the Beckoning happening to him is pretty reasonable. He was an underpowered methusaleh but that's like saying, "Bronze Medalist."
    * Danov has also left the city but that doesn't seem to have been due to the Beckoning.
    * Weirdly, Michael is replaced with a vampire named Charlie. More on this later.
    * Sullivan Dane is ALIVE! He apparently survived the adventure hook where he attempted to suicide bomb Elysium.

5. Charlie is an interesting case because he is described as a "child-like" vampire of exceptional strength (he can Dominate a fellow Kindred for months at a time to being his caretaker) as well as a Malkavian. It seems like he was meant to be Michael but, for whatever reason, is a different character. This may be because Charlie is a much nastier character who apparently forced his childe, Arthur, to hunt for them both. I wonder if this is a retcon or if Charlie is meant to be Michael's childe given their different generations.

6. Speaking of Arthur Caldwell, he's an interesting character because on the surface he seems to be something of a joke given that he's a gamer who got himself Embraced due to an excessive amount of self-confidence. Self-confidance that would have gotten him killed (and kinda did). However, a look at the guys stats shows that he actually apparently has learned (presumably the hard way) of how to kill with guns, bats, fists, and vehicles. I also like his Derangement is excessive anger that you'd assume makes him work pretty well with Brujah but, unlike Brujah is long and nasty psychological revenge that can take place decades later. Dude has got a serious Napeleon complex and he's just smart enough that he might survive it. I admit to loving his art for entirely biased reasons. Also, nice to see a Malkavian Anarch.

7. Evelyn Stephens is an interesting case of character development in the fact that she was a party girl who got herself Embraced but has remained loyal to Juggler all these years, until she found him vanished and has moved into his spot. Evelyn is probably far more qualified than Juggler to lead the Anarchs (and isn't under the control of Helena). It also draws a nice contrast to Juggler and Modius in that while Juggler may have not been a great guy, at least he didn't horrifyingly terrorize his childer for decades. Poor Evelyn's loyalty to Juggler means that she'd turn over the Barony back to him if he returned, which is a good reason to make sure it never happens. Oh and is that Rosario Dawson as her model? One thing that would annoy My Wife Is Scary probably is the fact that Evelyn has used her powers to reduce the gang violence and try to make Gary a better place.

8. Allicia as 1920s Mila Jovovich! I like the fact that they have taken advantage of modern technology to give a way for Allicia to communicate. In Hemlock Grove, they had a disabled character use texting, e-mail, and letters to communicate. They've gone a bit further here and made it so that Allicia CAN talk (and even sing) but it's still a rarity. I also like that it implies rather than outright states that the level of abuse by Modius is responsible for her losing her voice for decades. Making her second in command to Evelyn provides a lot of interesting stories. So does the Pentex and Falcon Motors tie-in to her backstory that implies she just barely managed to avoid becoming a Formor (Enticer?). I like the essential creepiness that she just keeps a rich guy as a slave and has adopted his daughter that doesn't even qualify as a Touchstone. A little bit of horror there. I also do kind of like Arthur as her stalwart dog-boy too. Romance among the undead isn't healthy but I like to read about it.

9. Eric Sharpe is a good character, being a hardened military veteran that has been assigned the dubious task of taking over Gary, Indiana for Maxwell. It would be dramatic overkill if not for the fact that Evelyn is perfectly capable of surviving the onslaught of people every bit as tough as him. I think underestimating Gary's Anarchs, who have been fighting a low-level guerilla war for DECADES is probably his biggest weakness. Personally, I like the contrast of the fact he wants to diablerize Alan Sovereign the same way Alan does Ballard.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-05-2020, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Okay, I'm going to do the next part soon....

Yes.

MY THOUGHTS ON GARY.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    https://www.buzzsprout.com/1171889/6...tm-episode-185

LET THE STREETS RUN RED review by 25 years of Vampire: The Masquerade.

Edit:

Some of their thoughts.

* They think of Walter Nash as a serial killer and a disgusting Ventrue.
    * They comment a lot about a piece of art of a woman in her underwear getting hit.
    * The Dying Fields is the best adventure.
    * They love the treatment of werewolves in the book.
    * They state the book treats werewolves as invincible unless you fight around them.
    * Helena should be close to wightdom with her wightdom.
    * Eletria should have killed Helena.
    * They absolutely loved the History of Gary after Baptism by Fire.
    * Bob thought of Juggler as a character from Metacalypse
    * They really like the trans character Marion.
    * They think of Vykos as the first trans character in V:TM.
    * Their favorite loresheet is Kindred Social Media Influencer
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-05-2020, 02:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X