V5 Vampire Companion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

The book is nice, very nice given it is free. But it feels rather slim for a full Players Guide. There are no lore sheets, no new blood sorcery rituals, a minimum of new amalgams, and no sections on advice for various issues. So there is still room for a PG - particularly if it should provide information on bloodlines, or guidance on designing a bloodline.
    My impression is that this is probably half or a third of the book that they planned to do. However, it's all that they managed to get done and that may be related to why WOD severed their contract.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
      If you need dominate to be a leader, you're a shitty leader.
      that's definitely what v5 is selling, with their 12th gen neonate princes, thinblooded primogen and whatnot,

and I'm surprised you, of all people, would be the one echoing the v5 ideal

so, what's next for the sabbat in your opinion? revenant Archbishops? thinblooded Regent?

no thanks, I like my (sabbat) Tzimisce as powerful leaders,
      maybe "shitty" leaders, but still powerful leaders,

previously, they had koldunism for power, but that wasn't very accessible to player characters,
      now they have dominate and protean in clan, which is more player friendly

it might be one of the few v5 decision I wholeheartedly agree with

-

Comment

Tzmisce aren't meant to be 'powerful leaders', they're meant to be Lords of the Land. Tzmisce leadership sucks, they're fuedal; organizing Tzmisce is like herding stray cats. It's why they couldn't wreck the nascent Tremere despite the home-field advantage; they never left their homes when the collective wanted them to. They're a clan of individualists. Auspex let them survey their lands and Animalism had their faithful hounds guard them. Vicissitude is a resource. They're too anti-social to be a Dominate clan.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
        There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Tzmisce aren't meant to be 'powerful leaders', they're meant to be Lords of the Land. Tzmisce leadership sucks, they're fuedal; organizing Tzmisce is like herding stray cats. It's why they couldn't wreck the nascent Tremere despite the home-field advantage; they never left their homes when the collective wanted them to. They're a clan of individualists. Auspex let them survey their lands and Animalism had their faithful hounds guard them. Vicissitude is a resource. They're too anti-social to be a Dominate clan.
          I would also add that it was their overconfidence in, and over-reliance on, their perceived iron-clad control through fear and blood bonds that led to their downfall in the Anarch revolt. A clan-wide mastery of Dominate changes the entire dynamic of the clan’s history and lore, not just their role in the Sabbat.

I wouldn’t be against Dominate as an option, but definitely not status quo.

Comment

So if bloodlines 2 is supposed to mirror V5 does that mean if you play a ravnos you can't use the same save location twice in a row?

You've been playing around the magic that is black
            But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
              So if bloodlines 2 is supposed to mirror V5 does that mean if you play a ravnos you can't use the same save location twice in a row?
              you can, you just risk getting a few burns if you do so,
              not sure how often that happens though,
              my brain isn't very good with statistics

well, regardless of statistics, I have to say I love the Ravnos this time around,
              they're definitely the most improved clan,
              I just hope they don't make them into an anarch clan

Auspex let them survey their lands and Animalism had their faithful hounds guard them.
              no, koldunism allowed them to survey their land,
              they had faithful spirits (+hounds, +ghouls, +revenants, +whatever) to guard them
              Last edited by Pleiades; 12-17-2020, 04:29 PM.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Garygeneric View Post

I would also add that it was their overconfidence in, and over-reliance on, their perceived iron-clad control through fear and blood bonds that led to their downfall in the Anarch revolt. A clan-wide mastery of Dominate changes the entire dynamic of the clan’s history and lore, not just their role in the Sabbat.

I wouldn’t be against Dominate as an option, but definitely not status quo.

It also makes the development of Revenant Families and the over reliance on Ghouls a thing that there was never any need for if they had Dominate.

I wonder if perhaps they're just erasing the clan schism between Old Clan and Main Clan as never happening.

Eh, not my problem. Its not like I'm going to play V5 again anyway its definetely going to confuse folks though.

Comment

Impressions:

* Ravnos. Swapping "Ravnos are compulsive thieves because being thieves is a Roma stereotype" for "Ravnos are nomadic because being nomadic is a Roma stereotype" sure was a move. I guess the saving throw here is that "Ravnos are associated with the Roma" is being retconned, because neither Roma nor India are ever mentioned and the two art pieces are a Japanese woman and an African Man.
                  ** Chimerstry seems mostly useless to me, compared to existing powerful Presence powers you can take at 2. Fata Morgana is fine, though kinda steep difficulty-wise.

* Salubri. You'd think with the fall of the Pyramid would bring the clan to resurgence, but no. The new Bane is really bad. It's bad thematically because it's basically victim-blaming the Salubri genocide on the Salubri just being too delicious. It's bad mechanically because any time you use any of your vampire powers, your coterie mates frenzy and kill you.
                  ** Obeah isn't great at chargen, but if you do get your dicepool to 10 you can pretty reliably throw around Willpower. So it's kinda like Blood Surge with extra steps. The limitation on the number of people healed is really dumb and doesn't need to be there.
                  ** Valeren is real bad. You can only use it on vampires, and vampires can already heal themselves. To heal aggravated wounds you need 5 successes, and you are not doing that any time soon.
                  ** Unburdening the Bestial Soul is a fine concept, but it should really be against 10-Humanity. Low Humanity vampires don't need a shield against Stains, they can already eat up a boatload of Stains and be fine. As is Unburdening helps the most the people who need it the least.

* Tzimisce. No particular thoughts. It's fine. They are fine.
                  ** Fleshcrafting RAW takes the Tzimisce's attribute points to apply changes to someone else, and there's no mention if you ever get them back as you do with Vicissitude.

Comment

it's a pitty that now one has to choose between their own invisibility or Masks and illusions due to the 5-power limit.
                    That's one of the things I dislike about V5. I don't mourn the demise of 6+ Disciplines and demigod Methuselahs - I disliked both - but allowing elder characters to trade great versatility for power would be better than forcing their Discipline development to a screeching halt

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
                      my brain isn't very good with statistics
                      Now that the Bane Severity for Blood Potency 1 has increased to 2, there's a 19% chance of getting an Aggravated Damage for revisiting a sleeping space within a week. Those are some pretty harsh odds.

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
                      ** Fleshcrafting RAW takes the Tzimisce's attribute points to apply changes to someone else, and there's no mention if you ever get them back as you do with Vicissitude.
                      Yeah, that was just some outright sloppy writing. To say "Each change causes the loss of a single Physical Attribute dot of the user" under plain Vicissitude, which makes sense since you can only do it to yourself, but then just referring back to Vicissitude and not changing the phrasing for Fleshcrafting. If they had said "Each change causes the loss of a single Physical Attribute dot of the recipient" or something like that (which I imagine is what they must have intended) then that would have solved that.

Comment

I feel the need to state that, of course, I am ecstatic with the more Dark Ages-esque Tzimisce in Modern Nights.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                          I like the temperamental, or maybe thematic, change to the Tzimisce. That is them moving from an alien spiritually to greedy dragons.
                          There was always a division between the alien-spirituality types like Yorak and the warlords like Rustovitch. I suspect that this change is the first part of formalizing that, with the warlords becoming the clan's dominant faction and the kolduns either being a bloodline or just interested in studying Blood Sorcery and Auspex as out-of-clan Disciplines - but a minority faction in either case.

Comment

Originally posted by IllithidActivity View Post

Now that the Bane Severity for Blood Potency 1 has increased to 2, there's a 19% chance of getting an Aggravated Damage for revisiting a sleeping space within a week. Those are some pretty harsh odds.
                            ouch

Originally posted by JezMiller View Post

That's one of the things I dislike about V5. I don't mourn the demise of 6+ Disciplines and demigod Methuselahs - I disliked both - but allowing elder characters to trade great versatility for power would be better than forcing their Discipline development to a screeching halt
                            surprised they didn't mention that in the errata, I was certain they were gonna retcon it

-

Comment

I like it for the most part. Where I don't know how I feel about it jet, it is easily fixed by houserules. (Playing Tzimisce with Auspex for example)

The Ravnos write up is fitting, but I was always rather fond of the Indian Ravnos. (It's just to bad that they got their best incarnation after they were nuked)
                              The Bane applying to in Torpor seems fitting. After all most of them are supposed to be dead.

All in all, great for a free product. Particularly the Art.

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

My impression is that this is probably half or a third of the book that they planned to do. However, it's all that they managed to get done and that may be related to why WOD severed their contract.
                              Mhm, I think a players guide that takes what is here, maybe improves upon things after they have been out and tested for a while and then collects all the Clan write ups, new rules, Loresheets etc. that are currently spread out across too many books, adds some more and maybe one or two extra chapters would be fine with me.
                              Last edited by nobby; 12-18-2020, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Their slogan in this Companion is:

"Not to lead, not to triumph, but to rule — to own utterly"

Half of the archetypes are leaders, but that leadership is incidental. They are described as bad leaders; their domains can show severe neglect and they don't feel obligated to do anything for their subjects. All that that matters is that their domain remains theirs or grows. Leadership serves as a socially acceptable front for ownership. Dominate as written may not be ideal for that because it they still need to roll social attributes*, but it can allow them to ignore social skills. Clans without Dominate have to negotiate.

*Although the same attributes are needed for Animalism.
                                Last edited by Spencer from The Hills; 12-17-2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X