Second Inquisition Campaign?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Inquisition Campaign?

With the VtM 5th ed companion providing rules for mortal PCs and the info on the Second Inquisition available in the core rule book and in Fall of London, is it viable to run a Second Inquisition game or would it be better to wait for the actual Second Inquisition source book?

Do you have rules for humans? Yes.
    Then you can run a second inquisition game.
    Long live the inquisition.

(You can use your real world knowledge on such agencies if you want. Honestly I think that's a bad idea because you're, if we're pretending to be realistic, almost certainly going to be unknowingly in the employ of Vampires who're having fun with the Jyhad, and probably aren't part of a real agency)
    Last edited by MyWifeIsScary; 12-24-2020, 01:19 PM.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
    There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

I think it is viable.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

It seems questionable to use the bare-bones rules for playing as mortals in a game system designed for playing as vampires when you could just play a vampire-hunter in an entirely different game system designed for players to be vampire-hunters.

Comment

Pick up Night's Black Agents, it's practically the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
            Pick up Night's Black Agents, it's practically the same thing.
            Yup. They even share a developer.

Comment

Even more radically, design your Chronicle around the notion that the Second Inquisition are, in fact a front for the Technocracy (from Mage)....

Comment

The Camarilla book has a bit about the 2nd Inquisition too. There's a 2I cult that will be in Cults of the Blood Gods.

Community Content
                Hunters Hunted II Into the Darkness
                V20 Sleepy Hollow

Comment

Originally posted by Trippy View Post
                  Even more radically, design your Chronicle around the notion that the Second Inquisition are, in fact a front for the Technocracy (from Mage)....
                  I Like this idea.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

As there are a number of missing pieces, you're probably better off moving to another system as mentioned above, or use V20 rules using Hunters Hunted II.

Or, if you want to stay in V5, I wrote a homebrew document including a lot more rules for playing mortal characters in V5 called Fragile Mortality: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wyX...cu8pVt5Jp/view

There are a number of rules and ideas in there, but the most relevant things for you are Backgrounds and Loresheets relevant for government agents.

Comment

If Mages are involved, might as well go all the way and involve the Traditions as well.
                      Also, does 'front' mean supported by Technocracy but independent, or that the Second Inquisition are basically all agents of the Technocracy?

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                        If Mages are involved, might as well go all the way and involve the Traditions as well.
                        Also, does 'front' mean supported by Technocracy but independent, or that the Second Inquisition are basically all agents of the Technocracy?
                        Well, for me it could segue into the relationship between the vampire and mage worlds (which always seemed a little incongruous to me in previous editions).

What I mean be ‘front’ is that the Technocracy has basically engineered The Second Inquisition into existence, but remain pulling the strings in a clandestine way. The Technocracy who, in their own paradigm that they are trying to purport, shouldn’t exist. So they remain in the shadowy background, with the Second Inquisition acting as a front for them. It increases the potency and threat of the Second Inquisition considerably if they aren’t just a well resourced group of mundane humans, but actually powered by a powerful group of willworkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                          That would be thematically wrong. The Technocracy is the MAN the Traditions are marginalized rebels that fight against it.
                          Thematically the second inquisition is the MAN and that makes using the Technocracy vs vampires thematically correct besides being logical from a metaplot point of view.

That said I'd avoid making the Technocracy involvement immediately apparent to the players. As I see things the Technocracy was involved with the SI and was instrumental in their inception but then (precisely after the Vienna's attack against "vampire central"... curious name for it... unless you mistakenly think vampires are servants of the OoH...) largely left alone with only a few agents capable of true magic left to check on the "project".
                          For that reason in a SI game I'd give my players character creation options taken and adapted from Hunters Hunted and DA: Inquisition rather than giving them true magic or super science.

Comment

Originally posted by IllithidActivity View Post
                            It seems questionable to use the bare-bones rules for playing as mortals in a game system designed for playing as vampires when you could just play a vampire-hunter in an entirely different game system designed for players to be vampire-hunters.
                            As has long been gospel around my neck of the woods, “A good GM can make even the worst system sing and even the best system can’t save a bad GM.”

Also, for some people, “bare bones” is a feature, not a bug. It means there’s more room for improv on both sides in terms of setting up and playing out scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Haquim View Post

That would be thematically wrong. The Technocracy is the MAN the Traditions are marginalized rebels that fight against it.
                              Thematically the second inquisition is the MAN and that makes using the Technocracy vs vampires thematically correct besides being logical from a metaplot point of view.
                              While Technocracy might indeed seem thematically appropriate, there are plenty of Tradition Mages who might consider Vampires to be viable targets for hostile actions.

Well, for me it could segue into the relationship between the vampire and mage worlds (which always seemed a little incongruous to me in previous editions).

What I mean be ‘front’ is that the Technocracy has basically engineered The Second Inquisition into existence, but remain pulling the strings in a clandestine way. The Technocracy who, in their own paradigm that they are trying to purport, shouldn’t exist. So they remain in the shadowy background, with the Second Inquisition acting as a front for them. It increases the potency and threat of the Second Inquisition considerably if they aren’t just a well resourced group of mundane humans, but actually powered by a powerful group of willworkers.
                              The whole Second Inquisition plot actually makes sense if it is the Technocracy that the Vampires are facing, rather than some members of intelligence agencies who passed around a glorified e-mail chain.
                              Last edited by Muad'Dib; 01-01-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X