• Show
Clear All

• Mental Vs emotional VS sensory powers

Book says:
    Presence is emotional
    Dominate is mental
    Dementation is mental (how?)

Main questions:
    Animalism is... what the hell is animalism?
    Within the context of possession powers is Ofuscate a sensory power or mental power? If I use animalism 4 or Dominate 5, do I get obfuscate with 2 or 4 successes on the roll?
    There's also the context of combination discipline resistances. One Dominate+Fortitude power resists 'mental' powers like "Dominate and Dementation" but would it resist Obfuscate, which fluff wise is a mind trick?

Other questions:
    Diamonion: emotional... right?
    Mytherceria: mental.. right?

And then there are non-vampire powers
    Liars face: emotional
    Some other lupine powers... (I remember liar's face because it's the fun one)
    I haven't had experience with mage but the entire mind sphere should be 'All of the above' or 'any and all' or some kind of mess, yes?
    In terms of resisting powers, would one resist thaumaturgy powers like the path of corruption through combination disciplines?

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
    There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Maybe bestial?

Comment

mho:

Animalism is a "beastial"/instincts discipline.
      - Animals are guided by instinct and are not supposed to have higher cognition in WoD metaphysics. This is why you can trigger the Beast with it in a vampire, but not via Presence and vice versa.

Obfuscate is "sensory" as it does not change the cognitive or emotional state of the victim, "just" the process of it´s sensory input. As these are almost not controllable like emotions or cognition, obfuscate is not resistable as the others. I do it quite simple, if the Obfuscate power or another power does not especially write it, obfuscate is not resisted.
      I consider mental discipline powers those that jack into concious thought or cognition. Emotional ones that jack into emotional/sub-concious processing. Obfuscate works before these reach emotional or concious part of the mind.

I don´t know any Werewolf edition good enough.

In Mage, Mind can cover most of it, yes, with some tricks better done via Life or in combination with even Entropy, Time, Spirit and Correspondence. (triggering animal instincts like fight or flight response). There was once a rule that stated that a mage can´t directly manipulate the curse of vampirism, just influence it. Oddly for some lower level vampiric powers you would need quite some dots in mind or a lot of successess. But with Mind 4+ it´s possible to emulate more or less most effects of Dominate, Dementation (possibly adding Entropy), Auspex 2/4, Presence, Obfuscate (Obf. is quite powerful even in Mage therms, as it is quite hard to resist and the reach of the illusions, especially the "delirium" factor some effects have), for Animalism (you need Life, Mind, and for triggering the Beast you might need either Entropy or Spirit) - all the farreaching disciplines like summonming of people or animals or huskriding, would maybe need additonal spherse like correspondence, life at 2.

" If I use animalism 4 or Dominate 5, do I get obfuscate with 2 or 4 successes on the roll? "
      I do not really get your question about successes

Gamelines: Requiem, Lost, Awakening, Trinity Continuum: Aeon, some V5.
      Likes cheesecake (quark-based)

Comment

Originally posted by maekkel View Post

" If I use animalism 4 or Dominate 5, do I get obfuscate with 2 or 4 successes on the roll? "
        I do not really get your question about successes
        This chart pops up for Animalism and Dominate for possession rolls.

Successes Result
        1 success Cannot use Disciplines
        2 successes Can use Auspex and other sensory
        powers
        3 successes Can also use Presence and other
        powers of emotional manipulation
        4 successes Can also use Dementation,
        Dominate, and other powers
        of mental manipulation
        5 successes Can also use Chimerstry,
        Necromancy, Thaumaturgy,
        and other mystical powers

Therefore, I was asking if Obfuscate would be usable with two successes (with auspex) or 4 successes (With dementation and dominate)

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
        There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

Aww that one!
          I personally say 4 suxx for Obfuscate, because: Sensory is here meant to powers that perceive, not those that change perception (which would make it even 5 suxx like Chimerstry), nor is it emotional but it´s some kind of mind tricks, thus 4 suxx or 5 if you are a harsh ST.

Gamelines: Requiem, Lost, Awakening, Trinity Continuum: Aeon, some V5.
          Likes cheesecake (quark-based)

Comment

Working...
          X