X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadioFreeDeath
    started a topic My Random Review of Dark Prince

My Random Review of Dark Prince

So I am preparing a 5e campaign set in San Francisco and I didn't really like San Fran by night So I began hunting around for other san fran material and found this 1995 VTM novel called Dark Prince by Keith Herber set in San Fran. I went ahead and read it and wanted to share my thoughts and see if anyone else had read it. Warning! light spoilers

Ok so first of all, the writing isn't very good and the plots all over the place. It feels a bit like someones campaign write up. Nevertheless it was enjoyable enough to read in a few days. The book follows Sullivan whos embraced during the Gold rush by an ancient asian vampire.

Some thoughts
    1. The anarch camarilla relationship feels kinda 5e. The two sects coexist and regularly frequent the same places and interact. There is no open war. In fact some kindred seem to move back and forth between being camarilla and being anarch a few times in the story.

2. The sabbat exist and they are even led by a sabbat tremere which is interesting. They certainly fill the role of terrorist cell against the authority of the camarilla rather than opposing sect. They do however mention they are in mexico and want to take over the world.

3. No sign of the kue jin, since Sullivan is embraced by a vampire from China who quickly fits into the camarilla, it seems that they are just treating Asia as more normal vampire territory.

4. Elders are weak like 5e. Two elders die in this book and they both go down fairly easily. They are not these practical Gods in power like revised kinda made them out to be.

5. Random Crinos form werewolves. They hate vampires for some reason.

6. Tremere have all sorts of magical powers. Riding on waves. Sending messages to mortals through voices in their head thousands of miles away etc

7. complete inconsistency when it comes to kindred death. Some turn to ashe, some get preserved. The FBI finds a skull with big fangs. Diablerie seems to apply of draining any kindred of blood all the way.

8. Old Aztec Toreador seem to indicate no thought of drowned legacies.

9. There is no seneschal, instead the prince has a "master of finance"

10. Random camarilla ravnos

11. Token "Vampire club" which seems a violation of the masquerade itself

12. Vampires regularly drink blood in vintages in cups. They seem to enjoy it just fine. Interesting distinction from the usual, only warm blood straight from a source is good that seems to prevail later.

13. Kindred are kiling mortals all the time for blood. Most of the feeding scenes in the book are draining the mortal dry. Very distinct from how most games go where characters are super careful to leave kine alive.

Anyways those are my random thoughts on this 2e aged novel. Ill probably read the sequel next. Outside of Vannevar Thomas, nothing else in the book seems canon and it certainly isnt referenced at all in San Fran by night. Canon seems oddly inconsistent that way.

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioFreeDeath View Post
    Ok the koala baby thing was just really weird. I guess thats the way they remind us that the sabbat are EEEEEVIL! Seems like a bad recruitment tactic.
    Well the Sabbat don't want to really recruit him. They're just screwing with him.

I mean, let's face it, at the bare minimum: all Sabbat are assholes.

Leave a comment:

• RadioFreeDeath
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    Cool review.

Sullivan is a real piece of shit and it's kind of fascinating that he's the "first' V:TM hero.

Woman abusing pimp is a lot darker than your typical character.

I did like how they fed him a "koala" cub and then the Sabbat reveal, "Nope, it was a baby! FOOLED YOU!"

Ok the koala baby thing was just really weird. I guess thats the way they remind us that the sabbat are EEEEEVIL! Seems like a bad recruitment tactic.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Cool review.

Sullivan is a real piece of shit and it's kind of fascinating that he's the "first' V:TM hero.

Woman abusing pimp is a lot darker than your typical character.

I did like how they fed him a "koala" cub and then the Sabbat reveal, "Nope, it was a baby! FOOLED YOU!"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X