Origin of Lambach Ruthven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of Lambach Ruthven

Found out that Ruthven is a name of Scottish origin. But what about Transylvania and Ruthvenski, then?

That name is like a "topical reference" in comic books (like saying the name of the actual US President, current cultural references, and the like in a story that dates it but nonetheless the characters never age despite knowing Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, etc. all the way to Trump and President Elect Biden) - it shouldn't be taken seriously.

I am certain the reason the name "Ruthven" was name dropped in Vampire is because of the character of Lord Ruthven in John Polidori's 1819 novel The Vampyre. Although not well known today, it was a sensation in its time and an important literary precursor to Dracula. Most likely, a White Wolf writer at the time simply wanted to reference the name as an easter egg and didn't know or care this name of Scottish origin was given to someone in Eastern Europe.

Personally, I'd just ignore it. But if you can't, the easiest solution is that "Ruthven" is simply a pseudonym or appellation provided by others to that lineage, and say their "real" name is something else you find appropriate.

Comment

Yes, thought about it and also lean towards the option with a pseudonym.

Comment

Lord Ruthven is the earliest known vampire in English language literature (I think he predates Sir Francis Varney by about a year).

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
          Lord Ruthven is the earliest known vampire in English language literature (I think he predates Sir Francis Varney by about a year).
          Oh yeah I remember finding out about this a couple years ago! It really made me appreciate the lore much more.

Comment

Working...
          X