Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Vampire

I'm talking about the comics series
    do you guys like it? Have you ever based a game around it?

I haven't finished the series yet (still working through everything now that the final arc is just about over) but I've been reading the comic longer than I've been playing Vampire the Masquerade at this point. I really want to include Skinner, Pearl, and Henry in some capacity in a game, but I haven't quite figured out the best way to do it. I'm currently tossing around the idea of making what the comic refers to as "American Vampires" into some kind of Drowned Legacy, but I'm not sure how I feel about the idea yet or how it would be represented mechanically.

Comment

it's true the vamps of American Vampire don't exactly map to the clans,but they have the right atitulde to fit in into the world of darkness

Comment

Originally posted by DifferentJustin View Post
        I haven't finished the series yet (still working through everything now that the final arc is just about over) but I've been reading the comic longer than I've been playing Vampire the Masquerade at this point. I really want to include Skinner, Pearl, and Henry in some capacity in a game, but I haven't quite figured out the best way to do it. I'm currently tossing around the idea of making what the comic refers to as "American Vampires" into some kind of Drowned Legacy, but I'm not sure how I feel about the idea yet or how it would be represented mechanically.
        that's a great idea!

Comment

I don't have all the mechanics quite narrowed down, but here's what I have so far.

-Based on what we see in the comics, I feel like the American Vampire (Homo abomium americana) would have Fortitude, Potence, and Protean as their "In-Clan" Disciplines. We never seen any of the three American Vampires doing any kind of hypnotism or mental domination and they don't seem to have any extra-sensory or obfuscating abilities either. Their speed is a little hard to determine as every vampire in the series seems to have some degree of supernatural speed.

-The only confirmed American Vampires would be Skinner Sweet, Pearl Jones, and Henry Preston with a rumored Elder or Methuselah analogue existing in the American West under the name of "Mimiteh" who removed themselves from both the mortal and Kindred worlds in the 1800s.

-The weaknesses are perhaps the hardest part to get right, but as this particular vampire is noted for "breaking the rules" of what it means to be a vampire, I feel like it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to have two weaknesses. American Vampires would operate much like Lupines I feel, taking aggravated damage from gold instead of silver. The second weakness would be their relationship to the sun. In exchange for being able to walk in sunlight, the American Vampire would lose all Disciplines and have their Attributes universally decreased by their Bane Severity (minimum of 1) during the new moon, regardless on if they are exposed to the empty night sky or not. In addition, they would take penalties to any and all dice rolls during the new moon equal to their Bane Severity. While this is incredibly severe, I feel like it balances out a bit as they can walk in the sun with no penalties whatsoever (if we're following the rules established by the comics).

Comment

Originally posted by DifferentJustin View Post
            I don't have all the mechanics quite narrowed down, but here's what I have so far.

-Based on what we see in the comics, I feel like the American Vampire (Homo abomium americana) would have Fortitude, Potence, and Protean as their "In-Clan" Disciplines. We never seen any of the three American Vampires doing any kind of hypnotism or mental domination and they don't seem to have any extra-sensory or obfuscating abilities either. Their speed is a little hard to determine as every vampire in the series seems to have some degree of supernatural speed.

-The only confirmed American Vampires would be Skinner Sweet, Pearl Jones, and Henry Preston with a rumored Elder or Methuselah analogue existing in the American West under the name of "Mimiteh" who removed themselves from both the mortal and Kindred worlds in the 1800s.

-The weaknesses are perhaps the hardest part to get right, but as this particular vampire is noted for "breaking the rules" of what it means to be a vampire, I feel like it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to have two weaknesses. American Vampires would operate much like Lupines I feel, taking aggravated damage from gold instead of silver. The second weakness would be their relationship to the sun. In exchange for being able to walk in sunlight, the American Vampire would lose all Disciplines and have their Attributes universally decreased by their Bane Severity (minimum of 1) during the new moon, regardless on if they are exposed to the empty night sky or not. In addition, they would take penalties to any and all dice rolls during the new moon equal to their Bane Severity. While this is incredibly severe, I feel like it balances out a bit as they can walk in the sun with no penalties whatsoever (if we're following the rules established by the comics).
            I really like it! keep in mind that the Drowned Legacies are implied to be supernatural chameleons,imitating vamps. wwould you include that in your ideas?

Comment

I didn't include that in my thinking unfortunately, but my quick, gut reaction and response would be that referring to the creatures as "American Vampires" would be shorthand for Kindred when they were first encountered but the truth is that they're the chameleon-like entities more in-line with the factual Legacy material we have. They could be some kind of boogeyman/urban legend among the European Kindred who colonized the Americas perhaps? There are so few of them (if we're using the comic's lore that they're incredibly reluctant to reproduce) that I doubt any Kindred would know the truth of what they are.

Comment

I enjoyed the first few volumes. But once you get past WW2 the series really starts to lose itself.

Comment

Working...
                X