Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WIR] Let the Streets Run Red (COMPLETE!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also choose Lzzy Hale for Allicia's style of music when she forms her own band.

Yes, I chose metal over jazz because I like twisting things up.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
    the Contact Us link.

Comment

• Maxwell

Synopsis: From slave to Prince to warlord.

Analysis: I should mention I was lucky enough to purchase the "Fate of Maxwell" Kickstarter stretch goal and asked for him to both survive and become involved in Gary. I was hoping he'd become an Anarch but as a long time Camarilla Prince isn't going to change his ways overnight. It makes me wonder if I should pick up the Vampire: The Requiem supplement for Chicago where his alternate universe counterpart was still Prince.

I've always thought Maxwell was meant to be a EXPY of Jean Baptiste Point du Sable (Chicago's founder), if not actually that man himself under a different name. So it was interesting to get his history from before Chicago. Given we don't know Point du Sable's origins, it was always going to be a surprise. A part of me is kind of disappointed he was a freed slave but giving Maxwell Haitian roots is something that opens up a lot of interesting story hooks, especially given that Adze comes from a similar time as well as place.

I was also surprised by the fact that there was no hint of Menele's influence in Maxwell's background. Despite being the childe of a 5th Generation Brujah, it doesn't state that his sire is a childe of Menele or even aware of his existence. As far as we can tell, Maxwell never even became aware of Menele during his time as a Prince or subsequently after. It also makes me wonder if Maxwell is likely to suffer the Beckoning soon given how powerful his blood is.

There is a slight retcon that says that Lodin attempted to kill Maxwell by sending two of his childer (which would be before Ballard, so it is interesting who these two were) to kill him. This is notably a contrast to the original 1st Edition story where Lodin led all of the city's Ventrue to kill Maxwell personally before killing the other survivors himself (so he'd be the only Ventrue in the city afterward) as well as the story where Lodin let Maxwell escape because it is tradition not to execute Princes being overthrown. I've always felt that wasn't very realistic for the exact reason that Maxwell is a threat to the city now.

It's interesting to note that Maxwell seems to be going with an all out "war on Chicago" solution for his return to the city but we know this is going to be a failure because the real reason that Maxwell isn't Prince of Chicago isn't Kevin Jackson but because Maxwell's real enemy is Helena. As long as she's the secret master of the city, he's destined for failure. It's even foreshadowed in a neat little Thin Blooded prophecy that if Maxwell ever does declare Praxis, he will have his kingdom divided into five factions.

My guess being:

* Helena's faction (Probably Ballard as the Prince or even Annabelle asserting herself)
      * Nerissa Blackwater and the Drowned
      * The Anarchs of Chicago
      * Maxwell himself
      * Al Capone

Originally posted by The Withering and V5 Rules
      Mind you, my view is that Helena's power has been weakened by the Beckoning even if the official word is that the Methuselahs of the past aren't weaker than they were. With only Presence 5 and Dominate 5, no matter how impressive those are combined with her Blood Potenecy, Helena can't control the city as directly as she once did. I also have the idea that Beckett will tell Marcus Vitel about her and one day she's going to be driving around a limousine when it's hit with a Drone Strike.
      I really do like the idea of Maxwlel being presented as the militant radical Prince that is just going to kill everybody in a Sabbat-style siege this time around. It could be Under a Blood Red Moon 2.0 for him and he's missing that is not going to go over well. The Brujah aren't part of the Camarilla anymore and he's lacking any Elder support. Even if he does succeed, a Justicar is likely to come and chop his head off. But he's not going to lose again this time.

Roleplaying Suggestions

* A possible "peaceful" ending to LTSRR is that Maxwell declares himself Baron of Gary, East Chicago, and Hammond with plans on expanding to Chicago. Possibly also allying with the Anarchs of Indianapolis (if not becoming Prince of that city itself while delegating Gary to Evelyn or Eric Sharpe). It's not Chicago but he could easily start uniting the region underneath him while preparing for Jackson's fall.

He could rapidly establish himself as the Anarch leader of the Midwest with plans on becoming Justicar of a returned Brujah clan.

* Maxwell is a good candidate for Arthur Caldwell's "Friend" that put him with the Gary Anarchs as a sleeper agent. Ironically, I'm inclined to think it'll fail just because Arthur is in love with Allicia. That's the kind of wild card you don't expect as an Elder. Plus, it's a very bad idea to try to manipulate Malkavians.

* As mentioned, I could easily see the Night's Cross as something Maxwell helped set up in Chicago to help make Jackson look weak.

* If you want to make Maxwell irredeemable, you might actually make it so that Maxwell has already got his revenge on Lodin. Maybe the Sabbat captured Lodin and bargained his staked form to Maxwell soon after Under a Blood Red Moon. Then he's been torturing him for decades after and only recently has Olaf gotten free.
      Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-12-2021, 02:02 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Forum Terms of Use
      the Contact Us link.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
        Maxwell

Synopsis: From slave to Prince to warlord.

Analysis: I should mention I was lucky enough to purchase the "Fate of Maxwell" Kickstarter stretch goal and asked for him to both survive and become involved in Gary. I was hoping he'd become an Anarch but as a long time Camarilla Prince isn't going to change his ways overnight. It makes me wonder if I should pick up the Vampire: The Requiem supplement for Chicago where his alternate universe counterpart was still Prince.

I've always thought Maxwell was meant to be a EXPY of Jean Baptiste Point du Sable (Chicago's founder), if not actually that man himself under a different name. So it was interesting to get his history from before Chicago. Given we don't know Point du Sable's origins, it was always going to be a surprise. A part of me is kind of disappointed he was a freed slave but giving Maxwell Haitian roots is something that opens up a lot of interesting story hooks, especially given that Adze comes from a similar time as well as place.

I was also surprised by the fact that there was no hint of Menele's influence in Maxwell's background. Despite being the childe of a 5th Generation Brujah, it doesn't state that his sire is a childe of Menele or even aware of his existence. As far as we can tell, Maxwell never even became aware of Menele during his time as a Prince or subsequently after. It also makes me wonder if Maxwell is likely to suffer the Beckoning soon given how powerful his blood is.

There is a slight retcon that says that Lodin attempted to kill Maxwell by sending two of his childer (which would be before Ballard, so it is interesting who these two were) to kill him. This is notably a contrast to the original 1st Edition story where Lodin led all of the city's Ventrue to kill Maxwell personally before killing the other survivors himself (so he'd be the only Ventrue in the city afterward) as well as the story where Lodin let Maxwell escape because it is tradition not to execute Princes being overthrown. I've always felt that wasn't very realistic for the exact reason that Maxwell is a threat to the city now.

It's interesting to note that Maxwell seems to be going with an all out "war on Chicago" solution for his return to the city but we know this is going to be a failure because the real reason that Maxwell isn't Prince of Chicago isn't Kevin Jackson but because Maxwell's real enemy is Helena. As long as she's the secret master of the city, he's destined for failure. It's even foreshadowed in a neat little Thin Blooded prophecy that if Maxwell ever does declare Praxis, he will have his kingdom divided into five factions.

My guess being:

* Helena's faction (Probably Ballard as the Prince or even Annabelle asserting herself)
        * Nerissa Blackwater and the Drowned
        * The Anarchs of Chicago
        * Maxwell himself
        * Al Capone

I really do like the idea of Maxwlel being presented as the militant radical Prince that is just going to kill everybody in a Sabbat-style siege this time around. It could be Under a Blood Red Moon 2.0 for him and he's missing that is not going to go over well. The Brujah aren't part of the Camarilla anymore and he's lacking any Elder support. Even if he does succeed, a Justicar is likely to come and chop his head off. But he's not going to lose again this time.

Roleplaying Suggestions

* A possible "peaceful" ending to LTSRR is that Maxwell declares himself Baron of Gary, East Chicago, and Hammond with plans on expanding to Chicago. Possibly also allying with the Anarchs of Indianapolis (if not becoming Prince of that city itself while delegating Gary to Evelyn or Eric Sharpe). It's not Chicago but he could easily start uniting the region underneath him while preparing for Jackson's fall.

He could rapidly establish himself as the Anarch leader of the Midwest with plans on becoming Justicar of a returned Brujah clan.

* Maxwell is a good candidate for Arthur Caldwell's "Friend" that put him with the Gary Anarchs as a sleeper agent. Ironically, I'm inclined to think it'll fail just because Arthur is in love with Allicia. That's the kind of wild card you don't expect as an Elder. Plus, it's a very bad idea to try to manipulate Malkavians.

* As mentioned, I could easily see the Night's Cross as something Maxwell helped set up in Chicago to help make Jackson look weak.

* If you want to make Maxwell irredeemable, you might actually make it so that Maxwell has already got his revenge on Lodin. Maybe the Sabbat captured Lodin and bargained his staked form to Maxwell soon after Under a Blood Red Moon. Then he's been torturing him for decades after and only recently has Olaf gotten free.
        I think Maxwell is so desperate to prove himself,to show people he's not a pushover. He'd gladly die to do so,

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

I think Maxwell is so desperate to prove himself,to show people he's not a pushover. He'd gladly die to do so,
          Agreed.

The plan by Maxwell to go full on Sabbat Siege is something that pretty much indicates that he's become desperate as it will undoubtedly attract the attention of the Second Inquisition and leave him with very little to actually rule. It's very similar, in some respects, to Mithras' plan to cleanse London. The result wasn't a restored Kingdom of Mithras but the place being burned to the ground with almost no vampires left to actually rule.

Except Mithras is certainly someone who CAN rebuild while Maxwell will just be known as the guy who betrayed the Camarilla and doesn't even have the Movement to back him up.

Thanks for your participation, Nicolas.

I appreciate your commentary on the NPCs and my takes on them!
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-12-2021, 02:08 PM.

Forum Terms of Use
          the Contact Us link.

Comment

• Arthur Caldwell

Analysis: Arthur Caldwell is a character that I freely admit is one that I pitched to the good folks at Onyx Path Publishing as part of my Kickstarter Rewards. They cleaned it up, removed some of the sillier elements, and made him even more interesting. Still, I happily admit he's an NPC from my actual Gary by Night Chronicles that was upgraded to canon status. Live the dream.

It's not terribly hard to guess where the inspiration for Arthur came from with the origin being Jason Lee's character, Brodie, from Mallrats combined with Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. When I was in college, it seemed terribly clever to combine self-referential Kevin Smith as well as Buffy the Vampire Slayer-esque humor and Vampire: The Masquerade. He's a vampire who runs a store that caters to a bunch of Goths who play Revenant: The Ravishing. How clever. Surely no one will think that's silly.

Arthur's personality was defined by the Mallrats line of, "You fuckers think just because a guy reads comics he can't start some shit?" Basically going with the idea of being a temperamental guy with moderate (by the standards of my min-maxed PCs) combat skills. He probably would have been much better suited to the Brujah clan but I always felt the Malks were underrepresented in Anarch campaigns.

Arthur proved to be a very successful NPC, though, because he was useful as a source of humor and being an example of what I call a "set dressing NPC." Set dressing NPCs aren't usually quest givers but basically exist to provide some local color and also general rumors or what's going on in the setting at the time. I would regularly use Arthur also to be the loudmouthed Anarch who would argue the most absolute worst and violent options whenever it came up in stories because the players would naturally gravitate to the more moderate or sensible choices. He was a perpetual source of bad advice and often to great effect. The Prince on your case? Blow up a gas station where he launders his money. The Elders hassling you? Plant evidence on one of their ghouls and point it at another Elder! It's doubly funny because the canon one here is Evelyn Stephen's Messenger and thus equivalent to a Camarilla Herald or diplomat.

The canon one manages to capture a lot of this as it highlights he was an underachieving loser in life but at least had his heart in the right place. The incident with the Neo Nazis is loosely based on an urban legend about my LARP in Huntington, WV where the group stood up to a gang of them that took objection to their sexually ambiguous costuming. It has a somewhat more depressing ending here where Arthur "rescued" someone who was never in danger in the first place but managed to impress his future sire.

Arthur's entire history can basically be summarized as "getting kicked around by one Elder or another" and this has contributed to his severe Napoleon complex. If ever there was an Anarch from an unlikely source of recruits it was him but I think we all know a lot of nerds carry around a bunch of barely repressed rage/resentment. Thankfully, Arthur's is directed at the "right" sort of people (his predator type is probably white supremacist racists--which is hard to come by in Gary, Indiana proper but not hard outside of it in rural Indiana).

The romance with Allicia is due to the fact that I am a big fan of romance stories in my V:TM and there's all sorts of ones I love inserting into my Chicago Chronicles. Whether it's true love or just a nerd with surprisingly low Humanity (probably from his simmering anger) loving a girl way outside of his league is up to the STs. I like that it's definitely not exclusive on her part, though. His friendship with Evelyn is kind of touching too despite the fact his "find what happened to Juggler" is heavily implied to be so he can diablerize him too.

Some notes

* The most obvious person that Arthur diablerized is probably his sire, Charlie, but that means he's hallucinating him still being alive. Possible given he's a Malkavian. Lucian is another option but then he'd be the American Monty Coven with his only hope being closer generations and the fact Lucian is 2000 rather than 6000. It also could have been a random wight, just like Arthur claims.

* Despite having "relative sanity" listed on his character sheet, Arthur has: Vengeance, Amnesia, and a Split Personality as derangements. Dude could join the Malkavian Antitribu but they all seemingly cancel each other out. It's the seemingly sane ones that are the worst among the Malks.

* I’m tickled by Arthur having “Academics (Game Theory)” 3, which is both a humorous pun but also a statement that he’s actually a LOT smarter than he appears.

* Gary's status is notably with the CHICAGO Anarchs rather than the Gary Anarchs. Interesting. It also implies he does a lot of commuting to "work" for the Anarch cause and that he's a true believer (at least in fucking over the Camarilla and Elders). Presumably, he has a haven in Chicago too.

* Lost "bits" from the original pitch to OPP is that Arthur was a convert to the Church of Caine and that he also had several Thin Blood friends, unlike most Anarchs.
            Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-12-2021, 02:47 PM.

Forum Terms of Use
            the Contact Us link.

Comment

• Arthur proves himself to be surprisely adaptable and resilient
              He was not suited to be a vampire,but he manages not to become a wight,not to be killed a d even make some friends with the kindred.
              Love how he is self aware and even a little humble,he knows he's not a sexy vampire,or a cool one. He doesn't really pretend to be so,and that sense of self awareness is interesting

Comment

• Also thanks for the compliments

Comment

Arthur proves himself to be surprisely adaptable and resilient
                  He was not suited to be a vampire,but he manages not to become a wight,not to be killed a d even make some friends with the kindred.
                  Love how he is self aware and even a little humble,he knows he's not a sexy vampire,or a cool one. He doesn't really pretend to be so,and that sense of self awareness is interesting
                  Reviewing the version presented, I get the impression Arthur has had his ass beaten a few times and was smart enough to suck up his pride enough to not get himself killed outright whenever Juggler or Damien came down on him. In the words of Marsellus Wallace, "Pride never helps. It only hurts." You learn to wait for revenge and he's gotten that Elder sentiment down early.

Despite being thoroughly unmin-maxed and unexceptional while alive, he also has semi-decent combat stats (3s in Firearms and Melee, 2 in Brawl and Athletics, plus Potence 1). If he's sharing blood with Allicia, he'll probably get Celerity 1 soon too.

Which indicates to me he spent his EXP early on getting tough enough to survive and run away if not win.

So, yes, Arthur isn't strong but he's flexible and that may be better in the long run.
                  Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-12-2021, 04:37 PM.

Forum Terms of Use
                  the Contact Us link.

Comment

Also thanks for the compliments
                    Eh, you deserve it man.

Forum Terms of Use
                    the Contact Us link.

Comment

How clever. Surely no one will think that's silly.

Comment

One of the funny things I'd like to note before getting into Gary by Night is the fact that Gary is actually a pretty good territory for a vampire.
                        I think Gary was always good territory for vampires; it just wasn't a good territory for the NPCs of Forged By Steel. And the simple reason for that is Gary is 80-90% black, and almost all the canonical vampires there are white. Black vampires feeding in Gary would not attract attention. White vampires feeding on the most likely victims of Gary - its black population - would attract attention. There's certainly ways around it. And historically, white vampires in Gary would not be a bad thing. Gary was historically majority white until the late 1960s, and Modius, Allicia, and the others would have fit in.

But by 1990, there needed to be some slight of hand to explain how these vampires could feed in a city without attracting attention. I think there was some (perhaps?) inadvertent explanations with things like the auction and other unsavory bits that would allow the canon NPCs to feed without attracting undue attention. I grew up in the Chicago area, and knew Gary's demographics quite well as did all of my gaming group. So we always slight of handed things so it made sense. But I don't think people outside the area, whose only knowledge of Gary came from the corebook, would suspect of some of these issues. I can see the incompetent/traumatized Modius remaining in Gary, delusional in his decaying steel baron mansion. Even Michael considering his strange delusion and living in the graveyards. But most of the other NPCs should have moved onto Chicago proper or left by 2020.

One thing to improve the setting the most would be to introduce more vampire NPCs that are black and native to Gary or South Chicago, perhaps even those who are childer of the original Gary NPCs. I could easily see Modius embracing some chanteuse in Gary's nightclubs or music scene, or Lucian finding someone they find worthy of the embrace and who could look out for any interests he had in the city. At least Evelyn fits in.

I have inordinate fondness for Danov for some reason, so he remains my favorite Gary NPC. But his reason for being in Chicago is related to his quest for Golconda, so it makes complete sense he'd have left by now. The first edition character of Johann Weltmann is long dead, and Khalid was an obvious dead end. Even the hook of Capone seeking Golconda (!) is over. There's no reason for him to stay. Still, it'd be good to see him elsewhere continuing his quest.

Comment

• In the precise moment I read the Chicago Folios, I knew that Arthur Caldwell was a fanmade character. I, personally, did not like it, one more malkavian clown. It seems that Malkavian could only be psychopaths, clowns or psycho-clowns. Also, the sense of humour on each chronicle and group of player differs, so a character trying to be funny sometimes just seems artificial. However, it is only my personal opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                            In the precise moment I read the Chicago Folios, I knew that Arthur Caldwell was a fanmade character. I, personally, did not like it, one more malkavian clown. It seems that Malkavian could only be psychopaths, clowns or psycho-clowns. Also, the sense of humour on each chronicle and group of player differs, so a character trying to be funny sometimes just seems artificial. However, it is only my personal opinion.
                            It's always a risk when you add fan-made or setting-referential characters. They can get wish fulfilmenty, overpowered, or just a bit haha. In this case, I'd say the thing that makes Arthur stand out most as an anomaly is that he works in a gaming store. Obviously gaming stores exist in WoD, but just like Black Dog as a part of Pentex, it seems like a joke. It would be like if a Bond villain was a big fan of spy movies, or a Game of Thrones character was writing a fantasy novel series. Some people can find that kind of metatext jarring.

Matthew Dawkins
                            In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

• Yes, I understand it, but to me it works as canned laughs. In my personal opinion, with Aluc Romas de León, the worst characters of Chicago by night new books. The problem with Aluc is not only that that name does not exist in spanish, but also he is a blind art dealer. Ironically, that makes him more funny than Arthur Caldwell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                                Yes, I understand it, but to me it works as canned laughs. In my personal opinion, with Aluc Romas de León, the worst characters of Chicago by night new books. The problem with Aluc is not only that that name does not exist in spanish, but also he is a blind art dealer. Ironically, that makes him more funny than Arthur Caldwell.
                                Aluc isn't a joke character. He gauges artistic quality based on touch and the responses of other patrons, and his name actually comes from a Spanish friend of one of the authors.

Matthew Dawkins
                                In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Working...
                                X