X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipergigio
    started a topic Question on V20 Ventrue weakness

Question on V20 Ventrue weakness

About the weakness of the Clan Ventrue I've always considered it as something interesting and yet frustrating at the same time.
    I mean, how can they understand if their victims are what they need?
    Last edited by Ipergigio; 03-14-2021, 09:54 AM.

• Bluecho
    replied
    Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
    Yes. Or let someone else take it, that's also valid, specially when "classic" was more lenient with out-of-body blood. The person must loose the blood, the sire don't have to be the cause, and there are a few stories of self-embraces where the person arranged their own exsanguination.

In fact, if the Ventrue is careful enough about it, they may even try to give the childer their own blood stored a few moments before. If it goes well, you can give the Fledgling a nice first meal.
    Also, It's probably not uncommon for Ventrue Embrace selection to be biased towards their feeding restriction.

Obviously, this isn't always going to be the case. Ventrue select Childer for lots of reasons, many of them strictly practical. They're expected to contribute Childer who can be an asset not only to themselves but to the Clan.

But still, Ventrue spend a great deal of time around one particular type of person. A type of person they are, low key or otherwise, obsessed with. When you spend that much of your unlife around a type of person or spend it thinking about them, it's going to have an effect on who you consider a valid candidate. It may not resolve in favor of a clearly inappropriate candidate (though even Ventrue aren't immune to making impulse choices).

But it might tip the scales in favor of one who meets qualifications, has potential, AND happens to be filled with the Sire's preferred vintage of liquid crack.

In these cases, a Ventrue absolutely would do the draining herself.

I suspect this kind of thing happens more often than most Ventrue would prefer to admit.

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    Originally posted by Hades View Post

I believe this is addressed in a splatbook somewhere, where they basically say that Ventrue, like addicts looking for their fix, "just know." So a Ventrue, being given five goblets of blood, would know which one they could gain sustenance from.
    This is what I go with, personally. Ventrue "just knows".

It might be they're highly attuned to the signs of their favorite meal. It might be that the blood of a "correct" mortal just smells particularly good, to the point the Ventrue can tell just from proximity.

Or it might be a highly specific "sixth sense" that Ventrue have for their blood restriction.

Generally, I wouldn't think too hard about it. As with everything else with the ambulatory corpses animated by an ancient blood curse, it Just Works.

Leave a comment:

• Shadeprowler
    replied
    http://www.riotamot.com/vampire/read...php?IssueNo=21

Sorry
    I had to

Leave a comment:

• Gangrel44
    replied
    Originally posted by MyWifeIsScary View Post
    If it isn't immediately obvious, use your ventrue dollary-doos to find horny singles in your area research locals that fit your criteria.
    Now this a man who talks sense...

Leave a comment:

• monteparnas
    replied
    Originally posted by Father Enoch View Post
    So Ventrue Sires just let the blood go to waste?
    Yes. Or let someone else take it, that's also valid, specially when "classic" was more lenient with out-of-body blood. The person must loose the blood, the sire don't have to be the cause, and there are a few stories of self-embraces where the person arranged their own exsanguination.

In fact, if the Ventrue is careful enough about it, they may even try to give the childer their own blood stored a few moments before. If it goes well, you can give the Fledgling a nice first meal.

Leave a comment:

• Hades
    replied
    Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
    About the weakness of the Clan Ventrue I've always considered it as something interesting and yet frustrating at the same time.
    I mean, how can they understand if their victims are what they need?
    I believe this is addressed in a splatbook somewhere, where they basically say that Ventrue, like addicts looking for their fix, "just know." So a Ventrue, being given five goblets of blood, would know which one they could gain sustenance from.

Leave a comment:

• Father Enoch
    replied
    So Ventrue Sires just let the blood go to waste?

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    To embrace someone, you just drain the person to the point of death and given them your blood. You don't have to drink that person's blood.

Leave a comment:

• Father Enoch
    replied
    I was looking for an "Ask a simple question," thread here, but I found this instead. Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I've been wondering something recently and I wasn't sure it was worth making a new topic.

Before V5, how did a Ventrue Embrace someone if they were NOT of the Ventrue's feeding restriction?

Leave a comment:

• Garygeneric
    replied
    Side thought: One thing I’ve noticed is that both players and writers always try to come up with something totally unique when deciding a Ventrue’s preference, but consider the friction and story potential that might arise if several Ventrue enjoyed the same “flavor.”

Leave a comment:

• MyWifeIsScary
    replied
    In LotC in states that, when a Ventrue can't find his food source at all, he goes into a Torpor and awakes looking for a new food source type.

Leave a comment:

• Thoth
    replied
    The thing that makes a given prey edible to a Ventrue is often something rather blatant. Like a specific bio-sex, an age bracket, how clean they are, etc. Obviously things like virginity or natural hair color are more complicated, but generally when a Ventrue sees a person who fits their inner criteria they just salivate like showing a person a picture of their favorite meal. Not exactly RAW but it keeps things moving along if the player doesn't want to overly dwell on the clan weakness.

Interesting side question about the Ventrue Weakness, what happens if the preferred human type no longer exists? In previous editions it was suggested that a particular race might be the food restriction. There have been many instances through out history where entire genetic lineages have been wiped out by plagues, wars, or other catastrophes. This can get compounded by the fact that even if there are survivors, given how long a vampire can exist, after centuries of cross breeding or evolving to their new environment, the food supply no longer counts as that original people.

In one dark age game we ran, we used it as a major plot point where the PCs had the option to exterminate the last descendants of a food tribe that was being carefully maintained by an ancient Ventrue. This would allow them to drive the elder to torpor or at least weaken him to the point that he couldn't fight back.

Leave a comment:

• Cadmiumcadamium
    replied
    Reminds me of a concept for a Ventrues weakness for a DA game I've heard about (I think it was here) where they could only drink from certain people and they couldn't figure out what it was that they had in common. Only after many centuries of trial and error they eventually figured out what it was. They could only drink from a certain blood type (like A- or something).

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    I think this is a combination of several things.

First, there's a learning period when the Ventrue fledgling learns to feed and determine what fits for him. It would make the childe more dependent on his sire initially, but that fits the clan which as a whole depends on one another more than other vampires. New PCs aren't intended to be newly made, but have experienced 5-25 years or so of tutelage as a fledgling, so this is typically ignored. But a significant part of his time as a fledgling is spent figuring out this exclusion, and during this time his sire or another Ventrue helps him out a lot. Someone without an easy to figure out restriction is going to spend a lot of time hungry, and he needs a more experienced Ventrue to locate specimens that are known to work and bring them to the new vampire.

Second, I think it would be likely that the same Curse which limits their feeding, also helps them determine who can fit that criteria. It's like when people develop a sudden craving for a specific food - the mind unconsciously knows a certain nutrient is needed, and that comes across as a craving for a food that provides that nutrient. So a Ventrue probably instinctively finds someone as appetizing or not as long as it is based on some obvious characteristic. If the Ventrue has a prey selection with criteria that is not obvious at first glance, that would take a while to kick in until the Ventrue learns that person has that characteristic. Then suddenly, he develops a "craving" to feed on that person. It just takes some time for a Ventrue to figure out a definition of his exclusion based on that.

Third, the Ventrue as a whole have a very long history of dealing with such things, as well as a clan culture that encourages Ventrue to help each other out. So there is probably a lot of lore in the clan that helps new Ventrue navigate this. There are probably types of categorizations the Ventrue use to help narrow down the typical feeding restrictions. So when a Ventrue shows a strong bias towards one type of prey, he could quickly be educated that it might mean these other kind of people are included or excluded.

So at the end of the process, the new Ventrue has a good what his prey exclusion is. A Ventrue who hasn't done this, simply isn't ready to be released. At some point after that happens, he is ready to be released. And some point after that, he begins play as a PC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X