LA by night full update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA by night full update

I am planning an LA by Night campaign eventually. Usually my first step is to do a big reread of all the metaplot related to LA by Night and that is where I am at now. It will be V5. What am I missing?

La by night of course
    La by night the actual play
    Becketts Jihad Diary
    Nights of Prophecy

Any other books or actual plays I need to parse through to get the full picture?

Originally posted by RadioFreeDeath View Post
    I am planning an LA by Night campaign eventually. Usually my first step is to do a big reread of all the metaplot related to LA by Night and that is where I am at now. It will be V5. What am I missing?

La by night of course
    La by night the actual play
    Becketts Jihad Diary
    Nights of Prophecy

Any other books or actual plays I need to parse through to get the full picture?
    No, that's about it, though Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is the basis for the show itself.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

No, that's about it, though Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is the basis for the show itself.

Well I guess its time to play bloodlines again

Comment

You could also just ignore everything beyond what you want to include. It sounds like you'd be running the game for people who aren't neck-deep in lore knowledge. Don't let yourself be hamstrung by what was written before.

Comment

I hope they do an LA By Night write-up in a future Chronicle book. I like the set up they had:

* Isaac Abrams "First Among Equals" and totally not the Prince, Hollywood

The Council of Barons that's totally not the Primogen.

* Nines Rodriguez, Downtown
          * Therese, Santa Monica
          * Fiona, The Valley
          * Victor Temple, also the Valley

All versus the Camarilla that controls Beverly Hills and beyond

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

* Therese, Santa Monica
            * Fiona, The Valley
            Originally posted by Anarchs Unbound
            The theme of Anarchs Unbound is the hypocrisy of change. [...] Certainly, some domains that uphold the true ideals of the Anarch Revolt — egalitarianism, a reasonable opportunity for every Kindred to make his way and stake a claim to domain — but these are the exception rather than the rule. All too often the Movement eats its childer or watches them as they compromise their ideals for privilege. It seems to be endemic to the Kindred condition. Even in their own domains, stasis equals the peril of becoming like the Camarilla [...] Anarchs are the ultimate political opportunists, championing the “purity” of whatever suits them best and despising the tyranny of anyone other than themselves.
            Justin Achilli really nailed it, didn't he?

Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

Comment

It's also a funny thing. Isaac is not running the domain BADLY. It's just that the Anarchs actually don't have as extreme a demands as they think they do.

It's only when the Camarilla comes to take their stuff and "restore order" that things get nasty.

Comment

I like the set up they had:

* Therese, Santa Monica
                * Fiona, The Valley
                This is why I take the early edition approach where "the Camarilla" is synonymous with "all mainstream vampire society", and anarchs vs. elders is simply one of the Camarilla's many internal conflicts. The anarchs don't need to be their own sect, because you end up simply duplicating the existing power structures anyway. Why does the game need one sect where you have princes and primogen, and another sect where you have not-princes and not-primogen who do a lot of posing about how bad the other sect is?

Different sects should look very different, like the lunatic fringe that the Sabbat represents.

Comment

Originally posted by Elphilm View Post

This is why I take the early edition approach where "the Camarilla" is synonymous with "all mainstream vampire society", and anarchs vs. elders is simply one of the Camarilla's many internal conflicts. The anarchs don't need to be their own sect, because you end up simply duplicating the existing power structures anyway. Why does the game need one sect where you have princes and primogen, and another sect where you have not-princes and not-primogen who do a lot of posing about how bad the other sect is?

Different sects should look very different, like the lunatic fringe that the Sabbat represents.

I actually felt the same about the Sabbat, they hate the Elders and they are controlled by Arch-Bishops, and Bishops, and other old, and powerful vampires.

Comment

Originally posted by Godforsaken View Post
                    I actually felt the same about the Sabbat, they hate the Elders and they are controlled by Arch-Bishops, and Bishops, and other old, and powerful vampires.
                    The Revised era did a lot of work characterizing the Sabbat as a kind of Dark Camarilla that talked a big game about freedom but was in reality as firmly controlled by the elders as the Camarilla. It's not a very interesting version of the Sabbat, IMO. I prefer a Sabbat whose members are truly, genuinely more free than any other vampires in the world... but that comes with a terrible price.

Comment

Originally posted by Elphilm View Post
                      The Revised era did a lot of work characterizing the Sabbat as a kind of Dark Camarilla that talked a big game about freedom but was in reality as firmly controlled by the elders as the Camarilla. It's not a very interesting version of the Sabbat, IMO. I prefer a Sabbat whose members are truly, genuinely more free than any other vampires in the world... but that comes with a terrible price.
                      The Sabbat seems to be the least free of any sect since, well, it's an army. It can really provide many benefits but freedom seems like the thing they can give least vs. the Anarchs.

Comment

This tangent seems better suited for the Sabbat thread, so I'll continue it there.

Comment

Working...
                        X