Revised Ghoul rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
    In this situation, I would likely rule the hireling bolts as soon as he can and tells the hunter all he knows. But he is feeling an odd emotional tie to that specific vampire, and likely realizes he is being influenced and needs help. Or depending on his personality, he might run away entirely hoping to end his involvement, abandoning everyone. Or running home to his family in the hope they can anchor him to reality. Unless he has a pre-existing reason to be interested in his new regnant, he should be able override this level of the bond and do what he would normally do because it's just an emotion right now, and different people have different ability to control their emotions. Maybe make a self-control or willpower check if you are unsure. However, given his past as an MMA fighter, I would expect him to have had a considerable amount of discipline and willpower to enter and succeed at some level at that profession. That kind of training takes drive and commitment.
    By the way, I was more interested in rule mechanics, but from an RP perspective this is a great response! It so happens that when I designed the NPC I specifically noted that if he believes he is dealing with ACTUAL REAL vampires, he will be so shocked and terrified that he will drop the tough guy routine and say anything to get them to spare him and let him go. If he gets away he will flee the Southeastern U.S. completely and never return.

Comment

There's a...well not really sidebar, but a block of text separated from the remainder of the page in Ghouls: Fatal Addiction on page 28 that says: a human ghoul may comfortably drink two Blood Points of vitae (this is the amount that fits in the digestive tract). Note that the section, "Pick Your Poison" is presented as optional, but they recommend it for chronicles with player character ghouls, and I don't think they address the topic anywhere else. This seems to indicate that animals larger than humans could have more blood in their bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynceus View Post
        There's a...well not really sidebar, but a block of text separated from the remainder of the page in Ghouls: Fatal Addiction on page 28 that says: a human ghoul may comfortably drink two Blood Points of vitae (this is the amount that fits in the digestive tract). Note that the section, "Pick Your Poison" is presented as optional, but they recommend it for chronicles with player character ghouls, and I don't think they address the topic anywhere else. This seems to indicate that animals larger than humans could have more blood in their bodies.
        Yes. I think I skimmed over that entire section of the book too quickly because it appeared to be focused on derangements.

That section and the fact that it is subtitled "(Optional Rules)" leaves you with the impression that they were thinking of ONE blood point as the default or simple case. Also they seemed to be assuming that's what the reader was thinking since they never explicitly said it. The reason I say that is the text "but [the optional rules] add greater complexity and bookkeeping." So in the optional section they got into a more complicated system for those who want that, but for those preferring "easy mode" if you will, they probably assumed you would go with one blood point.

I like the optional rules. I'm going with that. Thanks for pointing it out. Every so often you just need another set of eyes.

Comment

In some ways, I think V5 does do Ghouls better in the sense that none of the discipline powers a ghoul can select from require rouse checks, natural healing is doubled and the only vitae they need is the “one rouse check” worth each month.

In terms of adapting that backwards to V20, let me suggest the following; that the monthly ghoul feeding (the part that makes you ageless, able to soak lethal, use disciplines, etc.) works like a vampire spending blood to rise for the night; once consumed that point is burned immediately on sustaining the ghoul, while the “2+ points in digestive tract and/or replacing the normal blood supply” are points in excess of that.

A LOT of the common ghoul disciplines have functions that do not require burning blood to use. The V20 versions of Potence, Celerity and Fortitude all have elements that can be used without cost. Similarly, the first levels of Animalism, Auspex, Dominate, Obfuscate and Protean are also free of blood point costs. Replace the first level of Presence with something like Auspex 1, but for social checks and all the common disciplines a ghoul might possess wouldn’t need vitae to use (they wouldn’t be able to use the automatic successes and extra action from potence and celerity, but they’d still get the +1 die to Strength or Dexterity).

Then just say that unspent vitae in a ghoul’s system goes bad after a month and the whole ghoul situation would be a lot easier to adjudicate, leaving V20 Revenants as the only ones that are still a bit confusing (Dhampirs’ BP are expressly a “spiritual charge” that has zero to do with blood volume... Revenants rules though indicate their BP is still tied to blood volume as they have similar limits to ghouls and just adapt to having more in their system at once faster).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris24601 View Post
            In some ways, I think V5 does do Ghouls better in the sense that none of the discipline powers a ghoul can select from require rouse checks, natural healing is doubled and the only vitae they need is the “one rouse check” worth each month.
            I'm sticking with Revised rules for this because I don't have V5 sourcebooks. Of course, Revised doesn't have its own version of "Ghouls: Fatal Attraction" which came out with second edition, about a year before Revised Core was released. But the only real snag I have noticed so far is that Revised gives ghouls -2 on difficulty to resist frenzy and GFA gives them -3.
            Last edited by jrichview; 04-01-2021, 11:56 AM. Reason: grammar thing

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone that responded to this. You all helped me gel my understanding of it.

I ended up going back through GFA and Revised Core and creating a document that reorganizes the rules spread out all over the books. Hopefully in future any of my players that want to know how I handle ghoul creation (that is, creation by vampire PCs as an NPC, not creation of ghouls as PCs) can just read my synopsis. In some cases where I don't anticipate needing to know something for day-to-day gaming purposes (okay, it's Vampire so night-to-night!), I just referenced the source book and page they need to read up on. But anything I thought they might need to know or check on fairly often, I included.

Hopefully I got White Wolf's original intent down correctly, but a thing or two is vague enough that I can't be sure. So, I'm going with it and if I find it doesn't quite work in some way, I'll adjust.

Comment

Working...
              X