Path followers alternate names for The Beast and Humanity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path followers alternate names for The Beast and Humanity

It occurs to me that not every follower of a Path would call The Beast "The Beast".

To someone on Feral Heart, that thing that makes you want to tear apart coterie/packmates for trivial reasons, or eat to gluttony when doing so is suicidal is nothing like a beast. A wolf does not do blatantly suicidal things out of anger or hunger, and it endeavors to feed and protect its cubs and mate. Calling that thing inside vampires a "beast" is insulting to beasts. So what would they call it? The demon? The maniac? The lunatic? It certainly has nothing to do with the cunning, aware, and loyal predator they aspire to be. They certainly wouldn't call what opposes it "Humanity", but "Path Rating" sounds too dry to be an in-universe term. Really at a loss for an in-universe term for what they would call their Path Rating.

Similar things can be said of most Paths. Honorable Accord types would probably still call it "The Beast", but I doubt they would call what fights it "Humanitas". You could say Path Rating, but that sounds too dry to be an in-universe term. "Nobility", maybe? "Dedication"?

In character, I always presumed Path followers referred to their Path Rating as "Enlightenment", with "Evolution" also having come in to vogue during the latter part of the 19th century. I suspect that the term Beast is just so heavily ingrained in to vampire society and metaphysics for the last few millennia that no alternative term has ever caught on.

Added: though Dragon and Destroyer may have gained traction in some quarters. Maybe also Demon and Shadow.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 03-28-2021, 01:15 AM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
    X