V5: Lost Convictions and Touchstones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5: Lost Convictions and Touchstones

I'm a bit lost in regards to when you lose a Touchstone, which ends the system effects of its bound Conviction in regards to mitigate Stains. That's okay. When your Touchstone dies pacifically, you get to transfer it with a Dif. 4 Humanity test (not easy), okay, got that too.
    But if you lose it, or want more, how you get more? Or if a Touchstone dies, how you get a new one? Do you just have a story or session about it? Does it cost XP?

For now I consider that to add a new Touchstone and Conviction, or change one you have, takes 3 XP (like a dot in Advantage costs), and have story context. But the corebook and supplements don't have anything on it, I think. What you people thing? Do you do or would do different?

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Yeah, and by mechanics it's basically impossible for characters with 4 humanity to regain touchstones. Which makes it hard to believe that there are so many elders who haven't become wights by now. Especially those with potent enough blood that they would be routinely committing murder.
    Last edited by CajunKhan; 04-04-2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I believe the intention of V5 (not sure if that's changed with the change in folks in charge of the game) was if you lose a Touchstone and can't transfer it, it's gone for good (as is access to that Conviction). Hence there's nothing in the book about developing new ones.

Comment

Yeah, that's my impression as well, and it seems overly punishing. Between accidents, diseases, and enemies targeting your touchstones so they can drive you into wighthood, it seems unlikely that anyone would have touchstones longer than a couple of hundred years. Which means that every vampire potent enough to require routine murder would be a wight.

Comment

Also, I'm currently playing in four different games, and I've been in several others since V5 came out, and my human touchstones hardly ever come up. There's politicking and detective work and murdering to do, and touchstones are hard work for an ST to work in. Ironically, the non-human touchstones I have in the games where I've been allowed to use the Long Road Out of Hell supplement come up waayyyy more often, and can be fit into most stories far more smoothly and routinely, especially since Beast Marks are so fun to roleplay..

Whereas the human touchstones basically require me to put the game on hold while I go stalk my Bella Swan. ST's allow it, but there always seems to be a "oh oh right right you made so-and-so your touchstone" and then they awkwardly try to work in a scene that feels like it's from a separate game.

Comment

In the book, page 241 (243 pdf-wise) there is this, in the part about Humanity:

"Increasing Humanity
            Vampires can only increase Humanity by selflessly involving themselves in human life and human concerns. Increasing Humanity should be a major personal story arc, involving (at least) the gaining of a new Touchstone and the deliberate turning away from Kindred society and power.
            Some extraordinarily humane in-game actions (endowing and non-murderously protecting a museum or hospital, for example) might allow a player to buy Humanity with
            experience points at a cost of 10 x the new Humanity rating. This purchase remains at the Storyteller’s discretion, and some Storytellers might not allow experience points to
            purchase Humanity at all. Some of the arts and practices of Golconda may also allow the increase of Humanity, but those remain for the Storyteller to determine and reveal."

So there is definitely a way to get new Touchstones, there just isn't a described way to. I even think that it naturally means it can happen just through story, if the PC arc is about it, or even his Ambition. But then again, it's not clear, thus this topic stands lol

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

Comment

Working...
            X