Gotham City by Night a.k.a "To the Bat Cave!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotham City by Night a.k.a "To the Bat Cave!"

I freely admit to currently running Gotham City by Night where Batman was the Old Clan Tzimisce Prince and opposed by the Malkavian Antitribu Joker.

The PCs' territory is Bludhaven, which I'm basically doing as Gary meets Detroit exaggerated to comic book levels.

I'm having a lot of fun with the sheer silliness of playing "The DC Universe except everyone is a vampire" weirdness.

Vandal Savage is the head of the Camarilla.

Anyone have any ideas how they'd adapt things from the DCU (or Hell, Marvel) to V:TM?

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Expected Response:

"Why make Batman into a Tzimisce? Wouldn't Ventrue be more appropriate? Hell, even a Gangrel?"

Answer: Because I wanted to.

Mind you, making Kirk Langstrom into a Tzimisce would have probably worked better as contrast. I made him a Camazotz instead.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Is it more like the comics or the movies?

Comment

Or the cartoons?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
          Is it more like the comics or the movies?
          Well, it's still a Vampire: The Masquerade chronicle so I go full Tim Burton and R-Rated for the universe. I probably draw from the characters in the cartoons just because that's in my mind but my Gotham City is a bunch of huge spiraling buildings, gargoyles, and excessive poverty at the bottom. I suppose that oddly makes it most like the video game, ARKHAM ASYLUM, series that is the "R-rated version of the television show" in terms of themes and appearance.

Obviously everyone is a lot meaner when they're now possessed of the Beasts.

Weirdly, I do actually give my Bat-Prince a killing aversion. Whenever possible, he ends up staking and imprisoning vampires than destroying them. Its later speculated that Arkham Asylum has an ancient vampire underneath it that he is feeding to keep asleep.

(True: But it's not blood. It's nightmares and the Ancient underneath Arkham is Malakai, Malkav's sister)

Comment

This would make for a great no mans land story with all the coteries matching up with one of the gangs.

Comment

Poison Ivy is the last Lhiannan!

Or maybe not last since Jason Woodrue presumably still exists.

Harley is a Sabbat defector to the Anarchs.

Penguin strikes me as someone that I would make a Gangrel who is severely irritated that he's not a Ventrue. Another option is that he is a Nosferatu that is just SLIGHTLY deformed but still off-putting enough to repulse everyone. Both have the disciplines that would fit his heavy Animalism use.

Two-Face being a Malkavian is pretty obvious as well. So is the Riddler, Scarecrow, and other lunatics at Arkham Asylum.

Killer Croc: Nosferatu. Duh.

Clayface: Maybe a Nosferatu with Vicissitude? It reverts every night?

Thomas Elliot a.k.a Hush being a Tzimisce makes sense with his shapeshifting/plastic surgeon powers.

Ra's Al Ghul I would make to be a 6th-7th generation Banu Haqim or Follower of Set at the head of his own Blood Cult or part of the Black Hand. I'm leaning to Banu Haqim because they have some honor.

Catwoman I will probably make as an Embraced Bastet Kinfolk because no way she'd hang around Bruce if she wasn't a vampire but Gangrel isn't quite enough for her animal fetishism. I don't buy any sort of Underworld-esque romance in the WOD either.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-08-2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I have always been of the mind that Batman would be a Banu Haqim.

Poison Ivy as a Bahari comes to mind.

Comment

Gotham City by Night

Bruce Wayne, Prince of Gotham City since the 1930s, has entered torpor after having his back broken by the mysterious Brujah warlord known as Bane. The city has suffered numerous crises like Earthquakes and civil unrest. Bruce's eldest childe, Dick Grayson, has proven unequal or uninterested in the task of assuming the Princedom. Rumors spread he prefers to work as an Archon for the Camarilla with a group of mixed supernatural mercenaries known as the Titans.

As a result, Gotham City is torn by civil war between the various factions ranging from Toreador Vesper Lynd to the authoritarian Deathstroke. The only bright spot in the city is that Joker, leader of the Sabbat's ongoing crusade against the Prince, has also disappeared. Some attributing it to the Kindred assassin known as the Red Hood who has sent a dozen vampires to their Final Death.

As one of the richest and most sought-after domains in the world, Gotham City is ripe for the taking, At present, no one controls enough territory or has enough favors to be Prince but even Neonates could theoretically take a smaller city-sized chunk out of the brooding city for themselves. Bruce Wayne was an unconventional prince, more prone to mercy and dark justice than many, but his legacy has been inconsistent. Do you seek to uphold it or supplant it? What happens when (if?) he returns?

Mood

The Gothic Punk elements of the World of Darkness are dialed up to the eleven. The skyscrapers have gargoyles, loom over the poor, and the entire place has a kind of Neo Dark Ages feel. Everything is starkly contrasted with inbred insane Old Money families in crumbling mansions, a hideously corrupt police force, vast numbers of criminals propping up a dysfunctional economy, and the poor living in fear. It is a city divorced from time and the real world but all the more terrifying for it.

Theme

Can vampires ever be the lesser evil? Gotham City is a pit and if the werewolves were to ever restart the Impergium, it would not be the worst place to begin. However, it's previous Prince tried to use his money and influence to fix it. It is a place with no end of evil doers, human or otherwise, that compete with the PCs as predators. The PCs could try to thin the ranks of the evils around them or perhaps genuinely make things better. Even a pragmatic villain who merely wants their prey to be docile is better than the chaos of a city of madmen.

But are all things they touch doomed by the Curse of Caine?

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                    Poison Ivy is the last Lhiannan!

Or maybe not last since Jason Woodrue presumably still exists.
                    IF we are going full WOD I'd say Ivy, Woodrue, swamp thing are Kami. But that comes off as abit boring. Honestly all Three start as SCIENCE villains who cross into mysticism. I think you might get something interesting with Ivy as a Etherite.

Harley is a Sabbat defector to the Anarchs.
                    Harley is a Ghoul, or at least that's her story with Joker. Depending where you want to put her story at some point she breaks away but her time with the Joker is the abusiveness that is a ghoul. Honestly I think maybe her going some flavour of Hunter might be the right way out of her story. Of course if she's teaming up with Ivy... a pair of Etherites could be an interesting look there. Harley could pull off being an Adventurer.

Penguin strikes me as someone that I would make a Gangrel who is severely irritated that he's not a Ventrue. Another option is that he is a Nosferatu that is just SLIGHTLY deformed but still off-putting enough to repulse everyone. Both have the disciplines that would fit his heavy Animalism use.
                    Penguin has never been really an animalism type. But he has been a nice fat caniabal from a twisted various twisted old bloodlines. I would say... he might make a good Embraced Revanant or make the cobblepots a Giovanni family. Dominate and Potence works really good for various interpretations of him. That he doesn't "Do the Necromancy thing" is something the fluff pushes if not the mechanics.

Two-Face being a Malkavian is pretty obvious as well. So is the Riddler, Scarecrow, and other lunatics at Arkham Asylum.
                    I think things get a little too one Note if everyone is Malkavian. Two-Face should be, but being Nos also might work. Scarecrow is like Mr Freize or Hugo Strange they are a different sort of messed up. Hugo Strange and Scarecrow are messed in in a "I'm on a Path" messed up and not a derangement messed up so I'd make make them tzim. Though scarecrow could really be any clan known for its intellectual detachement, Trujah, Tremere. Fear is a science for him.

I would make the Ventriloquist a Malkavian... but he's also a medium. Scarface is Real. His derangement is something else.

Just to mix it up I'd make The Riddler some sort of changeling. His methology feels very fae. That or a Kiyasid or Maeghar.

Clayface: Maybe a Nosferatu with Vicissitude? It reverts every night?
                    He's A tzim experiment. Or he's working on some sort of Vic technique and... hasn't quite worked out the kinks yet. Honestly making him one of those freak experimental embraces that creates a new bloodline seems a simple choice.

Ra's Al Ghul I would make to be a 6th-7th generation Banu Haqim or Follower of Set at the head of his own Blood Cult or part of the Black Hand. I'm leaning to Banu Haqim because they have some honor.
                    Make him the Eldest of the Schism? If you wanted a different take.. making him Bruce's Sire or grandsire would give some fun options.

Catwoman I will probably make as an Embraced Bastet Kinfolk because no way she'd hang around Bruce if she wasn't a vampire but Gangrel isn't quite enough for her animal fetishism. I don't buy any sort of Underworld-esque romance in the WOD either.
                    catwoman is perhaps the most variant.but she's generally not a "big cat" vibe. Honestly she feels more like a Toreador with her need to steal pretty things with a very specialized take on what she wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                      IF we are going full WOD I'd say Ivy, Woodrue, swamp thing are Kami. But that comes off as abit boring. Honestly all Three start as SCIENCE villains who cross into mysticism. I think you might get something interesting with Ivy as a Etherite.
                      Eh, I think that Ivy would be a vampire because she's very much a seductive and mind-controlling plant master as well as a scientist and nature abomination. But that's just me.

Harley is a Ghoul, or at least that's her story with Joker. Depending where you want to put her story at some point she breaks away but her time with the Joker is the abusiveness that is a ghoul. Honestly I think maybe her going some flavour of Hunter might be the right way out of her story. Of course if she's teaming up with Ivy... a pair of Etherites could be an interesting look there. Harley could pull off being an Adventurer.
                      Harley being under the Blood Bond and breaking it seems to me more Kindred. She's certainly not a henchman and disposable mook at some point since she's able to stand up to Batman and Joker as her own antiheroine.

Penguin has never been really an animalism type. But he has been a nice fat caniabal from a twisted various twisted old bloodlines. I would say... he might make a good Embraced Revanant or make the cobblepots a Giovanni family. Dominate and Potence works really good for various interpretations of him. That he doesn't "Do the Necromancy thing" is something the fluff pushes if not the mechanics.
                      The Penguin does have armies of birds, his pet shark, and various other animal minions, though.

I think things get a little too one Note if everyone is Malkavian. Two-Face should be, but being Nos also might work. Scarecrow is like Mr Freize or Hugo Strange they are a different sort of messed up. Hugo Strange and Scarecrow are messed in in a "I'm on a Path" messed up and not a derangement messed up so I'd make make them tzim. Though scarecrow could really be any clan known for its intellectual detachement, Trujah, Tremere. Fear is a science for him.
                      I'd say Strange would work best as a Tremere. There's a very obsessive work ethic and genius that fits him.

Scarecrow could also be Tremere with just a focus on a very specific sort of research.

Mr. Freeze is definitely someone who kind of needs to be something other than a vampire, you're right. Maybe you could do Tremere or his own unique bloodline but that loses just about everything.

I would make the Ventriloquist a Malkavian... but he's also a medium. Scarface is Real. His derangement is something else.
                      That's a very good idea.

Mind you, I also worry that the more esoteric you go with vampire, the more you potentially lose the coolness of the simple, "He's a vampire and that by itself is pretty crazy."
                      Last edited by CTPhipps; 04-08-2021, 11:21 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=CTPhipps;n1443207]

Eh, I think that Ivy would be a vampire because she's very much a seductive and mind-controlling plant master as well as a scientist and nature abomination. But that's just me.{/quote]

Except when she's not there alot of interpretations of her. But making her some toreador bloodline with a connection to plants would work. Presence, Auspex Green Path? Nothing really sounds Pagan blood goddess about her.

Harley being under the Blood Bond and breaking it seems to me more Kindred. She's certainly not a henchman and disposable mook at some point since she's able to stand up to Batman and Joker as her own antiheroine.
                        I feel the power dynamics even of generation just aren't there if she's fully embraced with the Joker. Her story when she was with the Joker was using her as a distraction at best for Batman. She definately gains levels in comptience with her full on protagnist status though

The Penguin does have armies of birds, his pet shark, and various other animal minions, though.
                        I've never considered it a core concept of the character but I am sure he's had all sorts of pets over the years. Him being the "neutral" figure anyone can talk to. HIm being Neutral ground.. feels Giovanni really.

I'd say Strange would work best as a Tremere. There's a very obsessive work ethic and genius that fits him.

Scarecrow could also be Tremere with just a focus on a very specific sort of research.
                        They would be very much Ordo in a different World of Darkness...

Mr. Freeze is definitely someone who kind of needs to be something other than a vampire, you're right. Maybe you could do Tremere or his own unique bloodline but that loses just about everything.
                        Mr Freeze like Solmon Grundy is.. an out of context problem that shows up to remind them vampires aren't the only thing. I don't think they are regular players just... when they show up in the city its a problem for everyone. They don't care about the Masquerade or the rule of shade or whatever.

That's a very good idea.

Mind you, I also worry that the more esoteric you go with vampire, the more you potentially lose the coolness of the simple, "He's a vampire and that by itself is pretty crazy."
                        You're doing batman villains as Vampires its... going to have issues and I've always liked the idea that scarface is more than JUST his crazy. But I am also a big fan of "the world pf darkness is filled with wierd shit that falls outside the easy answers"

Having the players spend time unraveling the mystery of what the scarface is, is plot by itself

Comment

I imagine a city Dominated by Malkavians, playing a play they've been playing for near a hundred years.

Throw me/White wolf some money with Quietus: Drug Lord, Poison King
                          There's more coming soon. Pay what ya want.

Comment

This is so ridiculously dumb that I love it. Here are some suggestions. I am using any media depiction as an inspiration so expect various Adam West TV references as well as some odd characters from the comics.

King Tut as a Follower of Set. He leads the local temple.

I have always loved Roddy McDowell as the Boomworm on the Adam West TV Show. He was almost as malevolent as Frank Gorshin's Riddler. He could make another Malkavian or perhaps a Toreador with a love of books and fine editions. The Bookworm is probably the best of the celebrity villains created specifically for the show. I find Roddy in general to be awesome.

Nocturna and Night-Thief/Night-Slayer have to be in there as well. These are Pre-Crisis characters from the early 1980s. Both are very gothic characters, and Nocturna had many qualities of a vampire. I'd probably make them Toreador, but implied incestuous desires between these two siblings and Nocturna's corpselike appearance might suggest them as Giovanni.

You need the Monk and Dala! Both were actual vampires in the Batman comics, and even turned Batman and Robin temporarily into a vampire in the early 1980s. They date back to the Golden Age! The obvious thing for you to do is make the Monk into Batman's sire and Dala as his broodmate.

Julie Madison (Bruce's original fiance in the Golden Age) needs to be included as a ghoul! I think most of his civilian love interests work best as a ghoul harem. But not all!

Silver St Cloud as a Lupine. Silver Fang of course. Maybe she was a possible love interest before Bruce was changed. (Wonder Woman the rest of the Amazons would of course be Black Furies.)

Vickie Vale as a reporter wanting to uncover the existence of vampires in Gotham. Another human antagonist.

Firefly as a vampire hunter. Keep him human as no vampire would wield fire like that. If you have to make him a vampire, make him Tremere with an obsession with Lure of Flames.

Deadshot would make a good vampire hunter too.

Jim Gordon as another vampire hunter because Batman embraced Barbara Gordon!

Thomas and Martha Wayne as wraiths who haunt their son. Batman should have the Haunted flaw. He's one of their fetters.

And you need Ace the bathound as his ghouled dog!

Comment

Yes, it's been deeply fun and deeply stupid too.

All very good suggestions!

Some ideas I am now having:

1. Mr. Freeze as a outside context problem would work very well if you wanted to make him into a Son of Ether with lots of Paradox that he's dealing with. Maybe even verging on Marauder-dom and just stepping out of sci-fi Pulp in the vampire's world. Maybe his delusion is his wife is still alive and not DEAD inside his crogenics chamber (mind you, that's not an issue for mages necessarily). It actually explains why Batman and company can survive their fights with Freeze because they can survive being frozen better than most poor bastards.

2. Solomon Grundy as a Revenant or Frankenstein's monster or full-on Abomination is a pretty good character. If you're ever going to use a monster that is overpowered, impressive rage, and a creature that should not exist then this is the best one to do. You might even make it clear that poor Batman doesn't even know what he is.

3. Jim Gordon could be Batman's ghoul and contact for the police for most of his career but their relationship destroyed by his Embrace of her. Perhaps after she gets shot by the Joker. It would be a nicely dark way of turning things with him being a independent ghoul who needs regular blood to survive and working with the Second Inquisition.

4. The entire Bat-Family works as a kind of brood of the Prince with most of them being his clan but you could have Cassandra Cain as an adopted Banu Haqim character and Spoiler as something like a 13th generation Caitiff or Malkavian that Bruce is kind of dismissive. Hell, make her a Thin Blood and increase the tragedy/humanity of the character.

5. King Tut as the world's worst Follower of Set, like Marcel on steroids, amuses me to no end. You could actually do the same with Maxie Zeus who is kind of the same character too as there's no problem with Hellene Ministry characters too. After all, is it pretending to be a god if you are?

Comment

Working...
                              X